ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Hone Identifications please? (pic heavy!)

Bart said:
danjared said:
Bart said:
Coticule #3: La Nouvelle Veine.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I'm just wondering, how come La Nouvelle Veine? From the blue splotches and areas with a reddish/pink tinge, I would have thought La Veinette. The thin lines of blue on the side also contributed to me thinking La Veinette.

Check out n°29 of the Vault. It's a La Nouvelle Veine with some manganese traces.

Thin blue hairlines are the tale-telling sings of La Nouvelle Veine, although this on occasion has to be overruled by stronger other features that can swing a determination otherwise. E.g. one side of Les Latneuses has the blue hairlines as well. La Nouvelle Veine often has "woodgrain" appearance, whereas Les Latneuses has not. I've put "hairlines" in bold, because thicker blue lines can be seen in many layers, often La Grise and La Dressante.
La Nouvelle Veine sometimes shows a bit of a blotchy surface, as if some of the blue shines through at spots. I believe that's because the hairlines are often wavering a bit.

Blue hairlines have nothing to do with La Veinette. La Veinette is recognized because it's in 99% of cases naturally bonded to a BBW, and has thin white lines in the side of that BBW. La Veinette is also a layer without "woodgrain" appearance. I think presence of "woodgrain" overrules white lines in the BBW part of a natural combo.

Concerning "woodgrain", I can also say that La Grise generally seems to be the layer with the most pronounced "woodgrain", with the longest fibers. Often part of these "fibers" are red within La Grise, without any redness in the base color Redness or pinkness of the base color is usually indicative of La Dressante, and occasionally La Veinette, rarely Le Petite Blanche.
The red striations we see on #2 here is a major reason for me to declare it La Grise. Woodgrain with red striation spells La Grise in my mind.

What you say about #2 makes a lot of sense to me. I wasn't really sure about that one from the initial set of pictures, but the second set of pictures definitely makes it more clear.

In regards to the third stone, I don't think I see a woodgrain? It's really hard for me to tell. It looks rough on the top like it's been lapped on something coarse, which is more apparent on one of the blue splotches. I do see the pinkish clouds, and don't really see blueish clouds as well. But, the lighting is pretty dim. From the side it looks just like my La Veinette, which has thin blue lines exactly like that one. (I gave the one with a crack on the top to a newbie to use the BBW side, or I'd compare to that one as well.) Maybe a picture of the stone wet would make it easier to distinguish scratches from surface feature. Honestly, because of the scratches from the very rough lapping plate Ardennes-Coticule uses, I find it really difficult to see the finer surface features of a stone.

I do agree that identification can be pretty tricky.

I must admit that I mainly based my determining on the pictures of the first post. For seeing "wood like textures" in Coticule #3, I based myself on this particular picture, originally linked in said post:
[img=900]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_zaC6gGIku4/TsMom5aT29I/AAAAAAAAB2U/6thu0wr4Fjo/s640/IMG_1319.JPG?gl=US[/img]

That patterns looks very typically La Nouvelle Veine to me. It's possibly that I focussed to much on just that picture.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I may have focused too much on the other picture. :D

It's as you say that identification of coticules is like identifying mushrooms. Fortunately, no one can die from misidentifying a coticule!

Thanks again Bart! That's some great information! I appreciate everyone who has contributed to this thread :D

Can't wait for my next Coti!

Back