ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

I Made A Brush !!

tat2Ralfy

Its my second Actually, my first didnt make me smile enough, so I reclaimed its Knot.
Here for your viewing pleasure is #2. A 22mm Pure Badger knot from Tony at the Golden Nib, Brass head, hand turned by me, and I dont mind saying I had a right game! I didnt have any Brass stock in round bar big enough, so I had to cut a square block, and machine it round, then I could turn the head, thats quite enjoyable with wood, but with a block of "half hard" Brass, its no fun believe me! I think I still have splinters of it in one of my big toes..lol

Anyway I digress Gentlemen, Wild Olive wood completes the Handle and CA glue seals the deal.
Thank you for taking the time to look and any comments make me all kinda warm inside :thumbup:

[c]
Photo1573.jpg

Brush2a.jpg

Brush2.jpg

[/c]

It's lovely. Brass and olive wood go well together, and in my opinion both among the most beautiful materials for making took handles. Very well done!:thumbup:

One thing I wonder about with that model of brush handle. How to you hold it? Like a pen, like a toilet plunger, or like a gearstick?

A picture will do.:)

Kind regards,
Bart.

Ok you asked for it, dont say I didnt warn you, Brace yourself!

And no I am not wearing a shirt!!!...lol

1, "The Paintbrush or Lightpull"

Photo1601.jpg

2, "The Pen"

Photo1603.jpg

3, "The Crazy English Lady" (well 1/4 Irish)

Photo1605.jpg

Now Slowly take a few deep breaths, close your eyes, and repeat to yourself "I am happy I am safe, I am happy, I am safe" Happy, Safe, Mmmkay? Bwhahahahaha

My warmest Regards, and deepest Affections
Ralfson (Dr)

P.s. I am glad you like it my friend, I have 2 more to make, 1 as a christmas present for my Father, and one for a very good friend.

Lovely. Seeing it in use, I now realize the handle is much smaller than I envisioned it.
Your cuddibility factor has fully survived your public appearance, by the way. Particularly the glasses have a disarming effect.B)
Send my best regards to the gorgeous redhead who managed to smuggle herself in the last picture. ;)

Thank you for the demonstration.:love:
Much appreciated,

Bart.

Sweet! Personally, I prefer a little chunkier handle, but that is mighty fine. TGN knots are very nice too.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Bart said:
Lovely. Seeing it in use, I now realize the handle is much smaller than I envisioned it.
Your cuddibility factor has fully survived your public appearance, by the way. Particularly the glasses have a disarming effect.B)
Send my best regards to the gorgeous redhead who managed to smuggle herself in the last picture. ;)

Thank you for the demonstration.:love:
Much appreciated,

Bart.

Thank you Sir :thumbup: hahaha yeah I forgot to remove my specticles, put my bandanna on, and stare very very hard, like Paddington Bear hahaha

Indeed it is a slim lovely, as this picture shows unless I have hands the size of shrek:

Photo1607.jpg

My Alicia returns the regards, however I am under strict instruction to quote her exactly ahem:

"RED! RED! its Pink! the colour of love! its Flamingo Pink actually!!"
"And its for my Mummy who died of breast cancer!!!! (that will really make him feel bad)"

Hahahahaha oh joy sweet joy

I can just imaging the mounds of brass beneath the tool head. Beautiful work Ralfy

“For barbers Use”… that’s how the barber’s lathering brush was turned… not like today’s stubby meant for private use.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHRRRGGHH !! ...... Ralfy ....... Designer Glasses ....... EVIL .......:scared: :scared: :scared:

... but I DO like that brush:thumbup:

Cheers
BlueDun

Truely fabulous work Ralfy. Simple yet elagant in an somewhat understated presentation that adds to it's charm while not being over the top

The contrast of the brass, being born of Fire and the Olivewood being born of Earth, enhance the daily ritual which gives birth to the much desired lather which depends on the final part of this exercise of perfection,Water.
No matter the method of application or angle of attack, anyone would find it a treat and an honor to own such a work of art.

Yep Ralfy ! You made a good one !

Stew

Shiiiit, Ralfy, is there anything that you actually cannot do? The wood looks really great, but hey, I'm gonna be a black sheep here, IMHO something silver looking would look far better here. Anyway, impressive work with the turning, pal!!!

And, umm... why on earth do you keep on adding those hazy frames and spoiling pictures with them? :lol:

regards, to the [sup]1[/sup]/[sub]4[/sub]th Irish flamingo-pink-head lady as well :)
Matt

All in all, impressive!

BlueDun said:
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHRRRGGHH !! ...... Ralfy ....... Designer Glasses ....... EVIL .......:scared: :scared: :scared:

... but I DO like that brush:thumbup:

Cheers
BlueDun

You have a good eye my friend hahaha you just can not beat a good pair of Ray Bans :thumbup:

Thank you all so much for the kind words, and Matt the one I shall make my Father will indeed have a nickel silver head

My best Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Ralfy my friend...
You are so annoyingly good at all the things you do! Beautyful and stylish work. Love the combination of brass and olive wood,very sophisticated. Top notch job:thumbup:
Now...when will you show us a DIY frameback???? We`re kinda waiting for it:rolleyes:

Ohhh...got the washer etc. someday this week,dont know when as I just got home from our little summer camp. Everything looks just lovely,thanks Doc.

Kindest and most respectful regards
A very very very tired Torbs

torbenbp said:
Ralfy my friend...
You are so annoyingly good at all the things you do! Beautyful and stylish work. Love the combination of brass and olive wood,very sophisticated. Top notch job:thumbup:
Now...when will you show us a DIY frameback???? We`re kinda waiting for it:rolleyes:

Ohhh...got the washer etc. someday this week,dont know when as I just got home from our little summer camp. Everything looks just lovely,thanks Doc.

Kindest and most respectful regards
A very very very tired Torbs

Well you know there are talkers and doers hahahaha
Thank you torbs, BTW AND VERY IMPORTANTLY you didnt report back on the shave you had with the Gothic (I think it may have been a Kabar btw, its old and a gift from an american friend)
Honestly I have no claim to be "Good" at anything I do, I just have always enjoyed working with my hands, when I was a growing up, and this still rings true today, I had to make and make do, because we were poor, now I have an ethic of "if I can make it myself I will" and if I never made one before I will give it my best shot.

And the frameback may turn out a wedge, I have 2 ideas at this time, 1 involves an old Stahwille (spl) chisel, the other a file, I discovered my dad has an electric wetstone/grinder combination gathering dust :thumbup:

Many many Thanks again my all camped out friend
Ralfy

BTW AND VERY IMPORTANTLY you didnt report back on the shave you had with the Gothic (I think it may have been a Kabar btw

I`m sure I did? Didnt I..hmmmm
It was the most wonderful shave Sir Ralfy. The smoothest and keenest edge made the angels sing:thumbup: And the Lea cream was great,thanks.

Still no package from Denmark?

Kind regards
Torbs

Ralfy..was thinking about that frameback..

What about a "ziehklinge" aka a card scraper? They come in different sizes and thickness. Or even better,find an old and used one,as I believe the quality of the metal would be better than a new one... just a thought.

Torbs

torbenbp said:
Ralfy..was thinking about that frameback..

What about a "ziehklinge" aka a card scraper? They come in different sizes and thickness. Or even better,find an old and used one,as I believe the quality of the metal would be better than a new one... just a thought.

Torbs

Considering how they're used and "sharpened", I suspect they might not be suitable to be turned into a razor blade. A cabinet scraper is lapped and honed at a 90° angle. After that, a polished rod is used to make the 90° edge fold over in some kind of sturdy bur. It's the bur that does the cutting. I think for that, the steel may not be to hard and "springy", because the bur would just chip away or brake off when it's folded over.
I haven't actually checked the steel alloys and tempering proceedings for cabinet scrapers but I strongly suggest that you do, before trying them for razor blades.

Kind regards,
Bart.

You are surely right Bart..the metal is most likely too "soft". Now,how about a blade from an old hand plane?Very hard steel. Will take much work but Ralfy seems to have the needed equipment..
Torbs

In know vintage files are considered an excellent source for razor and knife steel. To work it, I think it may be necessary to anneal the steel, and reharden and temper it at a later point. Just taking a hunch actually. I've also read that new production files are often "case hardened" steel of an alloy that does not work well for the purpose of cutlery.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
In know vintage files are considered an excellent source for razor and knife steel. To work it, I think it may be necessary to anneal the steel, and reharden and temper it at a later point. Just taking a hunch actually. .

A hunch, but correct!

Cheers
BlueDun

So can we agree that vintage steel is better than new steel? Generaly speaking offcourse

Torbs...just back from a party at Devil Island Bike Riders club ..umfhhhhhhh too much ACDC and vodka...

Back