ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Is this a Petite blanche?

Andreas63

Hi!
I found this coticule :lol: , 5"x1", and she has an extreme fast cutting power, water turns black almost immediately. She's much quicker than my Naniwa 1 000 :scared: .

I tried a couple of dilucots and shaved: :thumbup: she leaves a smooth edge too. I was a little skeptical regarding the size, only 5x1, but I found honing very easy with this kind of size...HHT -5 or HHT-4 :) (a Bartmann 13/16 and on a Söderen 11/16, both full hollow).

I have other cotis too, much bigger, but after this "experience", I'm asking myself why we buy bigger hones :confused:

My question: is this little stone a Petite Blanche?

Kind regards,

Andreas

I took the liberty of making you pictures show up in your post.

I have a les latneuses which is about the same size and really like the size way better than my 200*80

kiind regards
Stijn

It doesn't look anything like my La Petite Blanche.

LPB.JPG

LPB_side.JPG

Is your stone a natural combo (didn't see it). LPBs are natural combos. I'm told that typical for LPB is the blue line into the coticule part you can see on the 2nd picture. A lot (I don't know all ?) have the black spots on top.

decraew said:
It doesn't look anything like my La Petite Blanche.

LPB.JPG

LPB_side.JPG

Is your stone a natural combo (didn't see it). LPBs are natural combos. I'm told that typical for LPB is the blue line into the coticule part you can see on the 2nd picture. A lot (I don't know all ?) have the black spots on top.

I do not think she's a natural combo...so she's not a petite blanche...:confused:

She's a very fast cutter...even with water only the water turns grey, but not as much as with slurry...with slurry the water turns black :w00t:

geruchtemoaker said:
Andreas63 said:
I do not think she's a natural combo...so she's not a petite blanche...:confused:
if you see a glue line between the coticule and BBW it's not a natural combo otherwise it is

Here comes two more pics...I do not see any glue line...is the bottom a BBW?
Two big scratches on the bottom, so I need to lap it.

LPBs can be found with a slate backing (I have one), :)

I cannot tell with those pictures. Close ups of the lateral side will help with a definitive id.

I'm pretty sure it's a glued one although I can't really see the glue line because I cannot zoom the image. If you would have a close up from the side?

I agree with Stijn, I think the backing is slate. Is you create some slurry on it, what's the colour ? Anyway Andreas, there are other layers that are also fast cutters. In the end, I really don't care about the layer. Personally I do care about cutting speed and you seem to have that.

Paul, I didn't know there are La Petite Blanches that are no natural combo's. This for me beggs the question: how can you tell it's a LPB ?
Because I had 3 characteristics:
(1) natural combo - you debunked that
(2) the blue line in the coticule part - but if it's not a natural combo, that may have been cut away
(3) the manganese spots - but I don't think this is a conditio sine qua non

Andreas63 said:
I have other cotis too, much bigger, but after this "experience", I'm asking myself why we buy bigger hones :confused:

I still prefer a larger coticule if the blade is straight ok. Less iterations to do, and that's about the only reason for me.

The fact that they are found in such thin sections almost demand that they come in natural combinations because there's typically not enough thickness in the strata to get more than one whetstone from any particular part of the strata. However, coticule can, and sometimes will, separate from it's BBW natural backing.

You can still tell by the blue line in the lateral side because it's found above the BBW. But remember too, LPBs have some wide variations in their appearance. Now, they are mining a section of the strata that has a red splotchy appearance, and my n 49° has an eggplant color. Luckily because they are currently mined, we know it's a LPB because Ardennes told us so :p

Your 3 standards are very good, in general, but there are notable exceptions :)

janivar123 said:
Is that a white stripe i see in the BBW part?
I was thinking the same. But the only points to La Veinette if it is a natural combo.

As far as I can see on the pictures, I would't be surprised if we're dealing with a vintage stone, glued to BBW. If I look at the corners of the hone, it really looks like it are 2 separate parts. (could be an issue with the quality of the pictures). If the fit between both parts is tight, a glue line really can be next to invisible.

Andreas, if you have to downsize the pictures, try a pixel width of 900. That delivers a screen-wide view on Coticule.be

It sounds like a fun Coticule. There is something that I find very appealing in the fast ones. :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Bart

decraew said:
I still prefer a larger coticule if the blade is straight ok. Less iterations to do, and that's about the only reason for me.
I'm not sure about that I have a theory but haven't got the chance to test it.
the theory is this:
since the hone is more narrow, the contact area is smaller and you use the same amount of pressure.
this will result in the following: the down force is equal but the area is smaller and: p=F/A so the pressure is higher meaning more abrasive capabilities

kind regards
Stijn

geruchtemoaker said:
decraew said:
I'm not sure about that I have a theory but haven't got the chance to test it.
the theory is this:
since the hone is more narrow, the contact area is smaller and you use the same amount of pressure.
this will result in the following: the down force is equal but the area is smaller and: p=F/A so the pressure is higher meaning more abrasive capabilities

kind regards
Stijn

Hm, I'll have to think about that one. One thing though: that may or may not be through for the width, but not for the length of the coticule. Given a certain width you'll need less passes with a longer coticule.
bootyshake.gif

(because I like this smiley and wanted to use it)

decraew said:
Hm, I'll have to think about that one. One thing though: that may or may not be through for the width, but not for the length of the coticule. Given a certain width you'll need less passes with a longer coticule.
bootyshake.gif

(because I like this smiley and wanted to use it)
yes you certainly have point there. the statement I wanted to make was if you have a wider and longer hone and a more narrow and shorter one with the same performance it could be possible to do the same in the same amount of strokes

Bart said:
janivar123 said:
Is that a white stripe i see in the BBW part?
I was thinking the same. But the only points to La Veinette if it is a natural combo.

As far as I can see on the pictures, I would't be surprised if we're dealing with a vintage stone, glued to BBW. If I look at the corners of the hone, it really looks like it are 2 separate parts. (could be an issue with the quality of the pictures). If the fit between both parts is tight, a glue line really can be next to invisible.

Andreas, if you have to downsize the pictures, try a pixel width of 900. That delivers a screen-wide view on Coticule.be

It sounds like a fun Coticule. There is something that I find very appealing in the fast ones. :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Bart

Yes Bart you're right: the vendor told me it was very old. If I take a look closely I think that the two parts could have been glued, but the thickness of the coticule vary between 6-10mm, so that make me dubious about that...

The stripes of the BBW are more scratches than stripes...anyway,is the backside a BBW?

If it's a natural combo is La Veinette, but if it's a Coti glued to a BBW and it's a vintage stone?:confused: :confused:

Anyway it's a very funny stone: being faster than a Naniwa 1000 it's not that easy!:D
And the big difference compared to the Naniwa is that you get a shave ready razor only by using this small stone!

I'm really curious to know the veine of this marvellous little coti!

So, what have we got :)
(1) the underside is BBW if it delivers a purplish slurry
(2) if it's not BBW, it's probably slate and a fairly recent stone.
(3) if it's BBW remains the question whether it's glued or not. If glued it's vintage (because recent glued stones are glued to dark grey slate). If it's not glued it's a natural combo and it may be possible to identify the layer but better pictures would be needed. If it's glued and vintage: identification is probably not possible.

Back