King Oscilator

efsk

Sky high and six thousand miles away
SU-Patron Gold
The Rotary King Safety Razor Co produced this funny little thing. Known as King Rotary, Rotary King, King Oscillator, I tend to stick to the last name, as I have suspicions the "Rotary" name was for their SE razor.
The oscilating mechanism an best be explaind by the patent, which @sɐǝɹpu∀ shows
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

DSC03374.JPG DSC03376.JPG DSC03377.JPG DSC03378.JPG DSC03379.JPG DSC03380.JPG

sɐǝɹpu∀

Any idea if there is a chance to shave with those?
I have one that I acquired as "by-catch" and I haven't really looked into using it.

FvL

My contribution for OsCilatingober:
I thought I had the same version as above, but handle is different, and mine has shipper, box and instructions:
SAM_2255.JPG SAM_2256.JPG SAM_2257.JPG SAM_2258.JPG
BTW, It's not only the french with propriety blades, I haven't been able to recreate the blade from a modern blade but might try again...

FvL

Correction:
After uploading I was playing with blades: Actually it is easy to adapt a new blade, You just need to snip the ends of a DE blade (otherwise it won't oscillate. But, the new blade is to lose in this razor for any comfort (beware), You probably need the thicker original blade.The razor doesn't bend the blade to make it rigid...

Last edited:

sɐǝɹpu∀

Correction:
After uploading I was playing with blades: Actually it is easy to adapt a new blade, You just need to snip the ends of a DE blade (otherwise it won't oscillate. But, the new blade is to lose in this razor for any comfort (beware), You probably need the thicker original blade.The razor doesn't bend the blade to make it rigid...
Maybe it needs a Viku Shim or something similar :)

FvL

Doubt it,, the blade needs to move, and the razor is designed for horizontal (unbend) blades. Flat bottem, the cap doesn't bend the blade. Probably means a steep shaving angle...

sɐǝɹpu∀

I had a closer look at mine and I don't think just snipping off the ends of the blade will do the trick.
You would have to enlarge some of the holes in the modern blade slightly.
Not something I'm enthusiastic about.