ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

L’Essor Le Supreme adjustable

A pair of Le Supremes - I'm adding a variant here.

Most of the ones that I have seen have the diamond knurling. All the Hol Pif's (which preceded the Le Supreme) that I have seen have the straight knurling, so I suspect that the front one is an earlier model. The other small differences between them are (1) the adjuster dial knurling is sharper and (2) the size of the numbers are slightly smaller on the Diamond Knurl one.

Full disclosure here - the twist knob on the front one is not original. Its original twist knob is cracked on the top and this is a new one that I turned.

They shave the same

Supreme_Pair.jpg

Thanks Peter.
There are some notable examples still missing and they are increasingly difficult to find.

I'm most concerned that some Hawk-Eye Le Supreme expert is going to come onto this thread some day and say - Hey you, that twist knob is not original.

Most of the ones that I have seen have the diamond knurling. All the Hol Pif's (which preceded the Le Supreme) that I have seen have the straight knurling, so I suspect that the front one is an earlier model. The other small differences between them are (1) the adjuster dial knurling is sharper and (2) the size of the numbers are slightly smaller on the Diamond Knurl one.

Full disclosure here - the twist knob on the front one is not original. Its original twist knob is cracked on the top and this is a new one that I turned.

They shave the same

View attachment 17140
Hello Clouds.

You say: "All the Hol Pif's (which preceded the Le Supreme) that I have seen have the straight knurling, so I suspect that the front one is an earlier model. The other small differences between them are (1) the adjuster dial knurling is sharper and (2) the size of the numbers are slightly smaller on the Diamond Knurl one."

I'm lucky enough to have a Hol'Pif. I can confirm that it also has the straight knurling.

I think that there's perhaps there is one other difference between the two razors that I've noticed. The Hol'Pif's don't seem to have the red alignment notches that can be found on the edges of both the plate and the cap (similar to what is often found on Le Coq razors). All of the L'essor Le Supreme's that I've seen do seem to have these matching red notches, I believe.

Hello Clouds.

You say: "All the Hol Pif's (which preceded the Le Supreme) that I have seen have the straight knurling, so I suspect that the front one is an earlier model. The other small differences between them are (1) the adjuster dial knurling is sharper and (2) the size of the numbers are slightly smaller on the Diamond Knurl one."

I'm lucky enough to have a Hol'Pif. I can confirm that it also has the straight knurling.

I think that there's perhaps there is one other difference between the two razors that I've noticed. The Hol'Pif's don't seem to have the red alignment notches that can be found on the edges of both the plate and the cap (similar to what is often found on Le Coq razors). All of the L'essor Le Supreme's that I've seen do seem to have these matching red notches, I believe.
And, I should have mentioned, none of the Hol'Pif's (not that there's many example around) appear to be "branded" in any way. I'm not sure if all of the L'essor Le Supreme's are branded as such, but I believe that they are, from what I've noticed.

Reactions: ehv

They shave the same

View attachment 17140
Here's some photos of my Hol'Pif. Sounds funny to say that actually. Wonder what the heck Hol'Pif means? And what letter is being replaced in the middle?

Hol'Pif (like L'essor Le Supreme) Adjustable Razor, France  2.JPG Hol'Pif (like L'essor Le Supreme) Adjustable Razor, France  3.JPG Hol'Pif (like L'essor Le Supreme) Adjustable Razor, France  4.JPG Hol'Pif (like L'essor Le Supreme) Adjustable Razor, France  5.JPG Hol'Pif (like L'essor Le Supreme) Adjustable Razor, France  6.JPG Hol'Pif (like L'essor Le Supreme) Adjustable Razor, France  7.JPGHol'Pif (like L'essor Le Supreme) Adjustable Razor, France  8.JPGHol'Pif (like L'essor Le Supreme) Adjustable Razor, France  9.JPGHol'Pif (like L'essor Le Supreme) Adjustable Razor, France  10.JPGHol'Pif (like L'essor Le Supreme) Adjustable Razor, France 1.JPG

Really glad to find this thread.
I believe I'm in the L'Essor Le Supreme club...would love some more input on this beauty.
There are conflicting views on another forum that this is a Hol' Pif or Bohin due to no branding at all on the razor and the #4 not being connected at the top.
The top cap is differential with the alignment pins, and the holes on the baseplate are oblong, not round.
This was found in an estate sale lot of about 100 razors. There was one L'Essor case that had an Apollo Fix in it which was clearly wrong, and I believe goes with this razor.
Shed some light for me please!

16649794950554274421584355477269.jpg

16649793890748025347597654185690.jpg

Really glad to find this thread.
I believe I'm in the L'Essor Le Supreme club...would love some more input on this beauty.
There are conflicting views on another forum that this is a Hol' Pif or Bohin due to no branding at all on the razor and the #4 not being connected at the top.
The top cap is differential with the alignment pins, and the holes on the baseplate are oblong, not round.
This was found in an estate sale lot of about 100 razors. There was one L'Essor case that had an Apollo Fix in it which was clearly wrong, and I believe goes with this razor.
Shed some light for me please!
View attachment 29443
View attachment 29445
View attachment 29444
Clouds seems to be the Hol'pif/L'Essor Le Supreme aficionado around these shaving forums. Maybe he'll weigh in. As you may have noticed "on another forum", he and I had a discussion lately regarding the difference between these two razors. My view, supported not by much admittedly, was that Cloud's latest acquisition was a Hol'pif mainly due to it having no branding and not being differential. Seems to me most if not all Supremes have had both of these features. Now, along comes your razor, with no branding but differential. By my reasoning, the main difference between the two is this one distinct feature. So, to me, you have a Le Supreme, it having the differential feature! But, like I said, not much if any real facts behind this conclusion, just a deduction, like Sherlock perhaps, ha ha. By the way, I don't believe anyone is suggesting that either the Hol'pif or the Le Supreme are "Bohins", like you say above, unless I've missed something. Anyway, welcome to the club, they're beautiful machines in any event.

Clouds seems to be the Hol'pif/L'Essor Le Supreme aficionado around these shaving forums. Maybe he'll weigh in. As you may have noticed "on another forum", he and I had a discussion lately regarding the difference between these two razors. My view, supported not by much admittedly, was that Cloud's latest acquisition was a Hol'pif mainly due to it having no branding and not being differential. Seems to me most if not all Supremes have had both of these features. Now, along comes your razor, with no branding but differential. By my reasoning, the main difference between the two is this one distinct feature. So, to me, you have a Le Supreme, it having the differential feature! But, like I said, not much if any real facts behind this conclusion, just a deduction, like Sherlock perhaps, ha ha. By the way, I don't believe anyone is suggesting that either the Hol'pif or the Le Supreme are "Bohins", like you say above, unless I've missed something. Anyway, welcome to the club, they're beautiful machines in any event.
Thanks for your input, in coming down on that same side of the fence. The differential cap and the fact there was a L'essor case in the lot, with no other L'Essor razor leads me to believe they're a pair.
Now to find those blade banks... I'm sure any antique store would have them lol!

@Old School TSD - I believe yours to be an early Le Supreme.
It has the Hol'Pif adjuster dial and your twist knob is a hybrid of the two. It has the knurling of the Hol Pif but is "hollowed" out like a Le Supreme.
I'm with @Snowbeard with his "Sherlock ;) Holmes" deductions - Le Supreme.

(A Bohin is a completely different razor. There is more info here: BOHIN LINK )

@Snowbeard touched on this little mystery

Everything about it is Hol'Pif except two (maybe 3) things.
1 - It arrived in a Le Supreme box.
2 - It has the locator pins on the top-cap where as the Hol'Pif has them on the base plate.
3 - Maybe also, there is a machined groove in the middle of the twist knob but this one isn't hollowed out.

holpif01.jpg
holpif02.jpg
holpif03.jpg
SOTD01.jpg

@Old School TSD - I believe yours to be an early Le Supreme.
It has the Hol'Pif adjuster dial and your twist knob is a hybrid of the two. It has the knurling of the Hol Pif but is "hollowed" out like a Le Supreme.
I'm with @Snowbeard with his "Sherlock ;) Holmes" deductions - Le Supreme.

(A Bohin is a completely different razor. There is more info here: BOHIN LINK )
Thanks, one of those was in that bin I bought a well, no case though :(.
I can't wait to try it, and keep over thinking it...is close or very close achieved with the writing up towards the top cap, or down so you can read what is "set" to when assembled? I see how the center of the baseplate is higher or lower when flipped over, but don't see how that would make a difference as the blade angle seems the same either way?
image000000.jpg

@Snowbeard touched on this little mystery

Everything about it is Hol'Pif except two (maybe 3) things.
1 - It arrived in a Le Supreme box.
2 - It has the locator pins on the top-cap where as the Hol'Pif has them on the base plate.
3 - Maybe also, there is a machined groove in the middle of the twist knob but this one isn't hollowed out.

A dating disassembly?! I tried to take this apart like my Gibbs, but didn't want to force anything... seems the handle doesn't unscrew on mine?

Thanks, one of those was in that bin I bought a well, no case though :(.
I can't wait to try it, and keep over thinking it...is close or very close achieved with the writing up towards the top cap, or down so you can read what is "set" to when assembled? I see how the center of the baseplate is higher or lower when flipped over, but don't see how that would make a difference as the blade angle seems the same either way?View attachment 29468
There's writing on both sides of the plate on my Bohin. But, the caps on each side are different, one side having little "minus" signs on them. This is the gentler shave. But, not by much. There's not much difference between the sides as I recall, but may be time to revisit that theory myself. By the way, that sounds like quite an instant collection you scored. Well done!

I've been in compassionate containment all these many weeks and months. Almost decided to give up shaving -- but alas and alack...

Will continue working on my collection/blog. You might want to create one also. The collectors' collectors.
You have a blog about your collection? Can you share your link?

Marvelous adjustable French razor, this Le Supreme. Available under I think three different names, I'm sure @Clouds will be able to provide details. Very happy to have scored this, they're rare and expensive.
In a way, these function the same as the Apollo/Ben Hur Mikron razors: raise/lower the guards. It's just that these need more equipment to do so, and thus have a very steampunk appearance.
Not shaved with it, yet.
DSC07162-0.JPG
DSC07164-0.JPG
DSC07166-0.JPG
DSC07167-0.JPG
DSC07168-0.JPG
DSC07169-0.JPG
DSC07170-0.JPG
DSC07171-0.JPG

Back