ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

La Veinette success!

BlacknTan

So, I'm here to report that I'm very happy!

I've been working through success and failure in my initial attempts at using my new coticule with dilucot. I knew I was close, but I was going back and forth finishing with the Naniwa 12K. Yesterday, I followed Sir Ralfy's advice and did 30 sets of half strokes, followed by thirty X strokes on plain water as a finish, and it did the trick! Today's shave with the Bowdin's wedge was just superb! And I had a good feeling yesterday by edge assessments that it would be.
So, now I know what the La Veinette is capable of, I just have to master the hone so I can repeat, and hopefully surpass the results all the time. It's yet to be seen how long that road will be, but like Dorothy and Toto, I've started on my path down the yellow brick road.
I still cannot truly assess the smoothness of the blade. Truthfully, my face is the testing grounds that has endured the failures as well as the success, so I will not be able to tell how smooth the edge is unless my face has at least a shaveless day to recover completely. I don't know if i'm ready for that yet because I already have the next victim (razor) waiting in the wings to meet Mr. Coticule.

Two good things came out of my efforts this week. I've gotten a fleeting glimpse of what my stone is capable of, and i've successfully restored a razor that once was a great shaver, but stopped being great and I couldn't recover it, to the active rotation.

It was a great week with a fairly steep learning curve, but a very profitable one also... And much thanks to Sir Ralfy and Bart for the advice!

Congratulations Bill!

Hope you have many more succesful honings with your Coticule!
Great job!

Lu

Well done Sir William! :thumbup:

And thank you for the kind words, the pleasure truly is all mine my friend ;)

My warmest wishes for your future success and enjoyment
Your friend
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Well done Sir William! :thumbup:

And thank you for the kind words, the pleasure truly is all mine my friend ;)

My warmest wishes for your future success and enjoyment
Your friend
Ralfson (Dr)

Allow me to second these feelings! :thumbup:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thanks to all!

I couldn't have done this without the wealth of information, and the helping hands on this site.

Congrats from me, too.

BlacknTan said:
(…) I followed Sir Ralfy's advice and did 30 sets of half strokes, followed by thirty X strokes on plain water as a finish, and it did the trick!(…)

Just to make this clear to me: You mean 30 sets of half strokes, consisting of 20 laps per set, right?

The point why I´m asking is, that I tend to struggle in the final stages of dilucot. I am able to get a HHT from the stone, but just somewhere near 1 or 2. Stropping improves it, but only up to 3. This tells me, that I am near, but not still there getting this last bit out of the stone is a tough one…

Kind regards,
Tok

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology.

I used 30 back & forth half strokes (without flipping the edge) per side, and 30 full X strokes..

Hope this helps.

BlacknTan said:
Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology.

I used 30 back & forth half strokes (without flipping the edge) per side, and 30 full X strokes..

Hope this helps.

Thank you. Unfortunately, it doesn´t really help; I already made 20 laps of half strokes on plain water … Maybe, I have to go back to very thin slurry.

Regards,
Tok

Tok said:
Thank you. Unfortunately, it doesn´t really help; I already made 20 laps of half strokes on plain water … Maybe, I have to go back to very thin slurry.

Regards,
Tok

I would suggest going to back to a thin slurry and diluting through to water again, I see people having this problem quite often, and tbh it's usually down to the way they dilute as they work through the technique.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
I would suggest going to back to a thin slurry and diluting through to water again, I see people having this problem quite often, and tbh it's usually down to the way they dilute as they work through the technique.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Thanks. I guess, you are right. Honestly, last time, I made not very much dilution steps, so this is pretty sure a part of the problem.

Regards,
Tok

i tend to do 15 to 30 laps, with out flippimng razor, so that 15 to 30 laps per side, per half stroke. i tend to increase laps as slurry gets thinner. i tend to use a little pressure. I finish with 50 normal x strokes on water. my hht varies from a violin to an amazing 3 and very good 4 on good days.

if i get violin where the hair catches and kind of tears . I no i'm not far of. then i will do another set of half strokes on water followed by 50 on water. I tend to repeat this 4 times max , normaly there is a respopnse a good response with just one or two sets. if not i literaly rub the hone once with slurry stone , i do about 4 to 5 dilutons and finish on water, i will repeat this 2/3 times. if this was to fail , i would go back to 3 rubs with slurry stone. If i carn't be arsed i would just start all over again, or finisjh with some ti rasoir paste. i would say 8 out of 10 razor s come up pritty well on just coticule and amazingly smooth and the best shave you could ever imagine. Even now i hone a razor on my coti and the shave still if its good gives me that wow factor. . the other thing i do is if hht is'nt as nice as i want it. I will strop on linen with some extra pressure then finish on leather. This can make a big differance and is worth a try also. this is all the tinkering i do and it can take some time up. having said that it takes longer for stubble to come back so in the mean time this what i do, it saves me waiting for another two days growth.

in a previous post i said i was'nt over welmed by a couple of ti's with factory edges. i asked ti how they hone there razors . this is what they use. they use a wheel of some grit to set bevels. they finish all there razor s on the 8k naniwa which is on a wheel, then they finish on 1.0my 0.25 my bio paste and strop.

after rehoning them on my les latneausus hybrid side and that all i used. Both the ti's i have now tested of coticule and they are 5 times smoother. i have both the paste that ti used. i can onestly say i would'nt need them.

i no every one that starts honing with one coticule .tend to just struggle with that final fine edge. i did for months .I still do now and then.. the shaves were'nt bad but there was that tiny bit of resistants and the shave just felt ropy, once you get past that you will feel the differance.
good luck

gary

garyhaywood said:
i tend to do 15 to 30 laps, with out flippimng razor, so that 15 to 30 laps per side, per half stroke. i tend to increase laps as slurry gets thinner. i tend to use a little pressure. I finish with 50 normal x strokes on water. my hht varies from a violin to an amazing 3 and very good 4 on good days.

if i get violin where the hair catches and kind of tears . I no i'm not far of. then i will do another set of half strokes on water followed by 50 on water. I tend to repeat this 4 times max , normaly there is a respopnse a good response with just one or two sets. if not i literaly rub the hone once with slurry stone , i do about 4 to 5 dilutons and finish on water, i will repeat this 2/3 times. if this was to fail , i would go back to 3 rubs with slurry stone. If i carn't be arsed i would just start all over again, or finisjh with some ti rasoir paste. i would say 8 out of 10 razor s come up pritty well on just coticule and amazingly smooth and the best shave you could ever imagine. Even now i hone a razor on my coti and the shave still if its good gives me that wow factor. . the other thing i do is if hht is'nt as nice as i want it. I will strop on linen with some extra pressure then finish on leather. This can make a big differance and is worth a try also. this is all the tinkering i do and it can take some time up. having said that it takes longer for stubble to come back so in the mean time this what i do, it saves me waiting for another two days growth.

in a previous post i said i was'nt over welmed by a couple of ti's with factory edges. i asked ti how they hone there razors . this is what they use. they use a wheel of some grit to set bevels. they finish all there razor s on the 8k naniwa which is on a wheel, then they finish on 1.0my 0.25 my bio paste and strop.

after rehoning them on my les latneausus hybrid side and that all i used. Both the ti's i have now tested of coticule and they are 5 times smoother. i have both the paste that ti used. i can onestly say i would'nt need them, on these two particular razors.

i no every one that starts honing with one coticule .tend to just struggle with that final fine edge. i did for months .I still do now and then.. the shaves were'nt bad but there was that tiny bit of resistants and the shave just felt ropy, once you get past that you will feel the differance.
good luck

gary

BlacknTan said:
Thanks Gary,

That's great information for we newcomers to the coticule!

its a pleasure, the one thing i did not mention is have tryed unicot ing the edge if your not quite there. this procedure works a treat . this way you still get to shave of your coticule with out using paste. infact i just unicoted my dovo for a change. it realy works.

gary

garyhaywood said:
after rehoning them on my les latneausus hybrid side and that all i used. Both the ti's i have now tested of coticule and they are 5 times smoother. i have both the paste that ti used. i can onestly say i would'nt need them.

good luck

gary

Gary, I'm curious if you use tape on those TI's during dilucot on that Les Latneuses of yours?
Do you hone with or without tape?
I have a Le Grelot and read somewhere here (at least I think I did) that the TI's like it better with a couple of layers...

That´s indeed very good information, thanks a lot, Gary! I think I´ll copy and paste it as soon as I can.

Kind regards,
Tok

RicTic said:
garyhaywood said:

good luck

gary

Gary, I'm curious if you use tape on those TI's during dilucot on that Les Latneuses of yours?
Do you hone with or without tape?
I have a Le Grelot and read somewhere here (at least I think I did) that the TI's like it better with a couple of layers...

i have a ti silver wing. plus the following a blond horn historic ti, a rams horn le grelot 6/8, a le grelot 6/8 plain plastic, also a 5/8 albalone shefield steel ti thats what there called.

i had big problems honing my ti silver wing and my le grelot 6/8. the ti silver wing was dilucoted with the old dilucot (not back and forth strokes, no tape ) the only way i could get an amazing shave was finishing with ti paste. untill one day i did the dilucot on my la grosse jaune and i had the first and still one of the best shaves ever of coticule. I emailed bart and told him. this was the like magic the edge was so smooth and sharp i coul;d not beleive it. it was then i tryed to match this on every razor. It was this edge that made me realize how good the coticule was.

Any way i had a lea grelot 6/8. and using the new dilucot method . i struggled like hell to get a good edge, i could not for the life of me get a good edge of this ti. So i posted and searched for advice.

bart recomends the taped version . to make for a stronger edge that does'nt chip. so i set bevel with one layer of tape. added second layer and finish with unicot. the result was ultra sharp and a great shave so it worked very well and easily.

me being me still wanted to acheive a dilucot result on this razor.

so i took it to my my hybrid and i dilucoted with no tape. the hht was unreal and the shave was also exallant. i have dilucoted every ti above plus one for a guy of srp that he struggled with and the results have been perfect. the guy who sent me his ti said it s the best shaving razor he now has. infact he is now honing with coticule and i think he has joined up on this forum.

so i don't use tape. my advice for honing a ti . would be use a little pressure a little more than normal do plenty of dilutions and dilute very sl;ow . its the pressure honing that made all the differance. just keep your eye on bevel as you don't want to make it grow un evenly. the ti's don't flex so you should be ok but just keep your eye on things also up the laps .

gary

Back