ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Le Coq

Fantastic razor Benedetto! You are still finding these beauties -- hopefully your discoveries will continue -- and you'll continue sharing your beautiful acquisitions with those of us appreciating your finds. Great score sir!

This beautiful Le Coq, that I've acquired thanks to @merwtje, had been on my searchlist for a while. Beautiful elegant handle, skinny head, and terrific fasteningsystem: pull out a lever from the handle and the cap can be removed, replace the cap and then the lever and everything is snug. Amazing in its simplicity, and its perfect funtioning!
Had a first shave with it today, took some adjusting to get the angle right, but got a great shave out of it. Based on this first shave, it's not just pretty but delivers as well.
DSC04953.JPG
DSC04954.JPG
DSC04955.JPG
DSC04956.JPG
DSC04957.JPG

Awesome score... The problem that I see with the mechanism it is that there is nothing to take up the wear that inevitably will happen, but it is such a kewl idea.
It has an Old Type head, it will always be a excellent shaver.

Alright everyone, I've received my first LeCoq Licence Palmer, and discovered something I wasn't expecting.
I messaged a buddy that had one "what's with the shim?" When I was checking it out. Like I suspect most here would say, now that I've been all over the internet, he responded, "shim?".
Yes, this razor came in a case with blade boxes and some blades, but between the baseplate and top cap is what I can only describe as a shim... It is thick-ish (much thicker than a blade or 10), brass, curve matching the baseplate and cap, and branded "LeCoq".
So, the question is what the hell is it?! Did it come with the set? Was it an optional thing for all of their razors? Does it just happen to be with this one?
Finally, "L" in the instructions looks like it could be it... or is it just a blade?... the hole look like this "shim". TIA!
Help please!
20231218_203054.jpg
20231219_011421.jpg
20231219_011105.jpg
20231219_011131.jpg
20231219_011036.jpg
20231219_011012.jpg
20231218_222100.jpg

Reactions: ehv
It is bloody interesting, is what it is. None of my three réglables came with one. You'd almost think it ought to be attached to the spring, making sure the blade is lifted equally everywhere. I'd love to find out more about this. Would love finding one even more.

It is bloody interesting, is what it is. None of my three réglables came with one. You'd almost think it ought to be attached to the spring, making sure the blade is lifted equally everywhere. I'd love to find out more about this. Would love finding one even more.
Idk what to even do with it, and it's preventing me from finally trying aLicence Palmer. Do I have the only complete set then? I doubt it, bit who knows. Really want translated instructions to at least know what "L" actually is. I guess it goes under the blade?
Another thought is it came with another LeCoq set, and the guy liked it and moved it over to his new set?

L is Lame, French for blade. The instructions in my NOS set do not say anything about your shim-like thingy.
I don't think you have the only complete set, I do believe you have a very interesting set. Either early on they discovered your shim-thingy was unnecessary, or they really did produce a shim.

L is Lame, French for blade. The instructions in my NOS set do not say anything about your shim-like thingy.
I don't think you have the only complete set, I do believe you have a very interesting set. Either early on they discovered your shim-thingy was unnecessary, or they really did produce a shim.
My comment was tongue in cheek regarding "complete set". Someone just commented on Facebook they think it's a cut down baseplate from another razor, used as a shim... good theory! I will investigate that piece further.

That might actually be a valid explanation.
Upon inspection, there is brassing completely along the side edges. It is remarkably precise if it was a diy though. I'm going with it pending further decisive input...

Attachments

• 20231219_095521.jpg
    20231219_095521.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20231219_095513.jpg
    20231219_095513.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 12
Another plausible suggestion, maybe more plausible than shimming an adjustable that goes zero to .5" blade gap, was "multiblade"...
Blade, "shim", blade...think I'll give it a go. Or at least look at the setup.

Another plausible suggestion, maybe more plausible than shimming an adjustable that goes zero to .5" blade gap, was "multiblade"...
Blade, "shim", blade...think I'll give it a go. Or at least look at the setup.
Here's what that looks like :)

Attachments

• 20231220_013930.jpg
    20231220_013930.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 10
Back