ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Les Latneuses layers and BBW

danjared

I'm just curious, does anyone know anything about whether there are Les Latneuses coticules that are BBW-backed? I imagine there have to be, but I have not seen pictures of one yet. I'm just curious how one would identify them. I have a Les Latneuses (I think from the slower side) that has a sublayer on the top that is different from what is immediately below it, which reminds me a bit of No56 in the vault. I know that, in certain cases, there are La Dressantes that are easily confusable for stones of other veins. I only know my particular stone is a Les Latneuses because of the hybrid side and the vertical blue veins it has. It's also confusing that many of the stones that most recently became available are visually slightly different from the ones in the vault. (By the way, Bart, would it be possible to get more high resolution pictures of No55 in the vault? I know you're keeping that one, but I'd like to see better pictures.)

I think there are some people with raw chunks of Les Latneuses. Do any of you have high-resolution side views of these? I wonder if it would be possible in the future for Bart to get cross-section samples of different veins from Ardennes, which would run from bottom BBW to top BBW.

My motivation is trying to begin to mentally catalog (and eventually put together documentation of) the visual and performance characteristics of different veins. The veins that are throwing me off a bit are La Grise, La Dressante and Les Latneuses. It's even more confusing that layers other than Les Latneuses have bits of what look like "hybrid" coticule but not to the large degree seen in Les Latneuses. Maybe I need to start reading about coticule formation.

Hi

If you take a look at my pictures in this thread http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/1291.html, you will see that this Les Latneuses is backed with BBW. Unfortunately, what is shown is all that was attached to the piece of rock. I would have loved to have enough there to lap and use since it appears to be of a fantastic quality.

Also here http://www.coticule.be/the-cafeteria/topic/832.html is a Les Latneuses which has what appears to be a hybrid layer sandwiched by two very yellowish and red layers. There was BBW attached to one side of this stone, but not adjacent to the hybrid layer.

regards,
Torolf

Ah, yes, I had been looking for those pictures. Thank you, Torolf. Well, I think that helps a bit with understanding the top side of the layer. I do know that my stone with the interesting sublayer is of the bottom half of Les Latneuses layer, so I'm also interested in seeing what the BBW transition on that end looks like.

For something a little different, I have a Les Latneuses that's slate backed! Not sure why, maybe the piece of rock was a little bit too thin to sell on it's own. But it does look like a Les Latneuses from the side, anyway. The top, usable side is pretty uniform looking. It was bought from Ardennes, and marked Les Latneuses.

Glued to slate Les Latneuses do exsist. Remember there's only one "hybrid" middle part sandwiched between two Coticule parts. I would not be surprised. that in the past, they isolated the best looking Coticule part (which ever it was), and glued it to slate. Occasionally they we are left with the ugly inside and a usable Coticule slice, naturally bonded. Maurice told me once, they had a hard time selling it because of that ugly background. He never shipped in to resellers, because they 'd just refuse ithe said. I tried one and liked it a lot, and a while later Gary started testifying how much he liked the "hybrid" side. The demand rose. I'm sure Ardennes changed habits, and are now aiming to cut as many natural combination Les Latneuses as possible, leaving the formarly "ugly" backside intact, only gluing the occasional leftovers to slate.

Jared, here's your request:
[img=900]http://www.coticule.be/tl_files/Coticule%20Vault/Coticule055.jpg[/img]

I will ask Maurice about cross sections of complete layers with both bordering blue stones, from all the current layers, when I see him on Friday.

Kind regards,
Bart

DG7 said:
For something a little different, I have a Les Latneuses that's slate backed! Not sure why, maybe the piece of rock was a little bit too thin to sell on it's own. But it does look like a Les Latneuses from the side, anyway. The top, usable side is pretty uniform looking. It was bought from Ardennes, and marked Les Latneuses.

Yes, there are quite a few of those lately. A certain vendor got several, in fact. He thought he was out of Les Latneuses, expecting only natural combos, only for me to point out that he had some right under his nose. They are harder to identify from pictures, though, than the hybrid-backed ones.

Hello All!

I'm the quiet 1. I've been coming on here for a couple of years and never said a word!

Anyhow I think this is a les lat natural combo with bbw.

Let me know what you think:)

Welcome Karl,

That is one of the most bizarre Coticules I've ever seen. Bizarre of course in the sense of Beautiful and Captivating.:)

I think it's indeed a Les Latneuses. Normally, the hybrid layer is sandwiched in between 2 Coticule parts, but it seems like one is almost completely fused. The longer I stare at the side view of that stone, the more I feel like a Hercule Poirot, staring at a geological mystery. Look how the hybrid part appears to fold double, in the middle of the stone, and seems almost cut off by the BBW rock. Strange thing happened long time ago, but what?

Thank you for showing this,
Bart.

Thanks for your reply Bart and for confirming it is a les latneuse.

I was pretty sure it was but it seemed to defy a lot of the usual ways of identifying a les lat :confused:

I stare at the side of this before I use it and wonder what will appear on the surface in years to come :love:

It was damaged in the post (I bought it second hand not directly from Ardennes) but because it was so unique I kept it.

Also thanks to everyone for sharing there wisdom and wit.
There are some great people on here:thumbup:

Karl said:
It was damaged in the post (I bought it second hand not directly from Ardennes) but because it was so unique I kept it.
but you are sure it comes from ardennes or at least from the mine they are using now because otherwise there is no way of finding out which layer it is

kind regards
Stijn

yes it has the same foam lined ardennes box that my other coticules came with from ardennes recently.

I can't imagine what caused this formation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Karl

Back