ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Les Latneuses

Bart

Gentlemen,

Those of you who've read the thread about Vault specimen n°31, know that I was pretty enchanted by n°31. I hoped to keep it with me for a while longer. But my fickle heart decided otherwise. We currently have a draw who gets to purchase this one, and I'm not even in it.:( (Imagine I would win. You guys would never believe me.:O )
Anyway, I wrote a little e-mail to my friend Maurice, owner of Ardennes Coticule... He searched through the entire stock, and behold, a box arrived at my doorstep yesterday. There were 4 pieces of rock inside.

L#1 - circa 12cm X 4cm bout:
Latneuse1.jpg

L#2 - 10cm X 4cm rectangular hone:
Latneuse2.jpg

L#3 - circa 10cm X 6cm bout:
Latneuse3.jpg

I have honed one razor on each. Now these are fast Coticules on slurry, only very slightly below the extraordinary speed of n°31. I believe more or less on par with that other Les Latneuses in the Vault, n°19. But when I was finishing my Dilucots on L#1 of these hones, a surprise was waiting. And my jaw completely fell when I was finishing on L#3. I've uploaded a little video to Youtube. I believe it speaks for it self. Note that I have only water on the hone, and this is no soft "autoslurrying" specimen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjr5Kd6mTWI

L#3 is the fastest on water. L#1 and L#2 are not far behind.

Maurice said he also searched through the stock of raw, unprocessed Coticule rock, and there was no "Les Latneuses" among it.

Now! Who wants one? :w00t:

I was thinking to add 10€ to the regular price of these hones, to fund the expenses of running the website. Only last night, I've spend 60EUR to on a better hosting plan for the website, so that we can make proper backups, offer more bandwidth, and storage place for pictures. (soon to come after I've ported the website to the new account).
This brings L#1 to 40EUR , L#2 to 37EUR and L#3 to 52EUR.

Shipping is not included. I apologize for not putting these in the Marketplace. This is not a personal sale. The total profit of 30EUR serves to fund the website. That's only a small fraction of the actual cost involved to run this place.

If you're interested in one of these, please post. (please do not e-mail me about this offer). Also answer this question, what is the weight (in grams) of L#3? The guy who's closest, gets to pick first. If more than one person is equally close, he who posted first wins.

Kind regards,
Bart.

PS. those of you who read well, are now wondering what happened to the 4th hone in the Maurice's box. That one's not for sale.:lol:

Latneuse4.jpg

tat2Ralfy said:
I will take L#1 please kind Sir
Your Faithful Servant
Ralfson (Dr)
Thank you, my dear Ralfson. I do need to know your estimate about the weight of L#3. :)

Bart said:
tat2Ralfy said:
Your Faithful Servant
Ralfson (Dr)
Thank you, my dear Ralfson. I do need to know your estimate about the weight of L#3. :)

oh eck, ermm less than 1300 and more than 6, let me see, based on the area and density of the stone, and after takin careful notes whilst paying due attention to the Youtube video as reffered to above, I estimate the weight in grammes (grammes! F@ckin Grammes! how do I know what a Gramme is?? Oh wait! hahahaha) to be circa:

250grammes, 1/4 Kilo, 1/2 lb ish kinda thing.

But I do not have the foggiest TBH.
and am I right in saying the winner gets to pick exactly which stone he purchases based on this little wager good Sir Sherlock??

tat2Ralfy said:
Bart said:
tat2Ralfy said:
Your Faithful Servant
Ralfson (Dr)

oh eck, ermm less than 1300 and more than 6, let me see, based on the area and density of the stone, and after takin careful notes whilst paying due attention to the Youtube video as reffered to above, I estimate the weight in grammes (grammes! F@ckin Grammes! how do I know what a Gramme is?? Oh wait! hahahaha) to be circa:

250grammes, 1/4 Kilo, 1/2 lb ish kinda thing.

and what are we getting to pick first based on this little wager good Sir Sherlock??

tat2Ralfy said:
and what are we getting to pick first based on this little wager good Sir Sherlock??
Well, in the unlikely event that more than one member would like to purchase the same hone, I'm going to sell it to the one who comes closest to the correct answer. That way, everyone has a fair chance at buying one of these pretty unique pieces of rock, which may be ugly, but hone sweeter than sweet.:)

I noted you said 250 grams.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Im gonna go with 425 grams. And Id love number three.....

But, isnt it bad form to guess a lady's weight before you take her home?

I would LOVE #3...I'll say **430g.**

I'm going to change it--240g.

Man...I really do want that stone.

My guess: 125 grams

Metric story: my friend and I were driving through the South and his Suzuki Samarai broke down on a Sunday. This was 1989. The first mechanic we found said: "That's one of them meter things, ain't it?" The second mechanic we found fixed it, but left the hood unlatched, and as we sped onto the freeway the hood (bonnet) flipped up and smashed our windshield. I shall always hate those "meter things."

375 grams :)

I'd like one, but looks like I might be on the late side of this offer:blush:

Aha!! consulting the oracle of m&f (who incidentally gave me exacting instructions on how to calculate it's mass) and after careful calculations, I will say exactly 200 grams.

BTW do are mods qualify:O ?

Ha ha I cant wait to find out!
My initial estimate was a complete stab in the dark it could weigh 400 for all I would know hehehe

I am sure mods qualify, unless once the result is declared everyone elses posts seem to strangely display guesses at around 2000 grams of course hahaha

Hehehe!. Well I used a bit of logic; I have a Coticule almost the same size (but not the same shape).
My stone is rectangular at about 15x3.2cm that works out to about 48cm. No3 is 10x6 cm that works out to about 60cm. I assume they are about the same thickness so that’s a wash.

I do not have a metric scale but I know that 1 cm2 of water is about 1 gram, so I built a scale with a ruler, a pencil, and a plastic cup that will be filled with water from a 20cc syringe (it a big syringe).
Set the ruler on the pencil at the exact center; rest my hone on one end and the empty cup at the other. Then slowly fill the cup with 20 cc at a time from the syringe and the thing balance at 220cc, so that would be 220 grams
However No3 is not quite square so I subtract 20% and round off to 200g

Damn!… thinking about it now... I think it may be less than 200… I forgot to subtract 12 grams… oh well, I guess I'll have to stick with 200.

Smythe said:
BTW do are mods qualify:O ?

Of course they do. :) The only one that doesn't qualify is myself, but I can't be corrupted... (see L#4:lol: )

Some interesting estimates... I'm not giving any hints.

Bart.

And may I ask Dear Bart, two questions which spring to mind?
How long is this going to run before we know the answer and I presume the top 2 will get to choose their stone, leaving the 3rd place guesser with the remaining stone?
And can we please have some info on your beloved L#4? size and performance etc?

Actually thats more than 2 questions hahaha

Back