ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

loom strop or hangin strop

That is impossible to say. I wager a guess that in the hand of someone experienced, any strop with decent quality leather will work. To get to that level of experience, a loom strop might be helpful, as its stopping surface will always be flat (again, decent quality of the strop being a pre-requisite).

Actually with the leather being equal they will perform the same. There are times when I'm sitting in my recliner I'll use the loom just because it's easy.There are some razors that seem to like a hanging strop such as a large wedge.
If your technique is good they will both work well.

Tbh..its all about handling. Even the most exotic and expencive strop wont do the job without the practised skills. Quite often I strop on a pair of old jeans,whilst wearing them. Then do some 60 on leather. Works great.

Torbs

I like to keep things simple, too. Let's see what I actually need:

1. [li]leather side, preferably as wide as a razor, ie 3"[/li]
    [li]linen or other mild abrasive side[/li]
    [li]abrasive material side[/li]
Great. A triangular strop! Two solutions:

1. [li]use more than one strop[/li]
    [li]get one with replaceable components[/li]
Apart from the fact that it is currently sold out, I consider the modular paddle strop by Straight Razor Designs the perfect tool for a beginner. Personal preference, but I like the fact that I can use different abrasive components (CrO, diamond sprays), and can replace broken leather strips.

As my grandmother used to say, 'man thought and God laughed' (der Mensch dachte und Gott lachte). Too busy at the moment. :(

The multi leather and wool felt bench setup from SRD is a great way to strop. For those that don't know the pieces are interchangeable and have magnets on them so when you put a leather strop piece on it's not going to move around.
http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=36&products_id=1134

54ba2757918da9b82a3da44299d83c5f.image.670x550.jpg

If you're honing on a Coticule, than trust me: you need a good linen and a good clean leather strop, both of the hanging type. An adjustable "loom" strop would do the job too, but I have only seen them in leather so far. Paddle strops are for pasted use.
A hanging strop, even when used in a fairly taut fashion, still deflects 1 to 2 cm. A paddle strop does not deflect at all. It does make a difference.

I personally can not get a satisfactory edge of a Coticule if I'm not allowed to strop it well.

A basic but excellent quality strop with a good linen is the Dovo "Russian" leather strop. It has the word "Juchten" embossed in the leather and the linen has a herringbone pattern. They're not overly expensive. Of SRD, I've seen very good strops and laughably bad ones. (The excellent one was a "Bridal IV", or something like that.)

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
A basic but excellent quality strop with a good linen is the Dovo "Russian" leather strop. It has the word "Juchten" embossed in the leather and the linen has a herringbone pattern. They're not overly expensive.

Thats what I use for absolutely everything, had mine over a year now and unless someone sent me a posher (reads more expensive) one as a gift, I dont see a reason to change it.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I have the above strop and a TM. THe TM is still in storage and althought it is a thing of beauty, the Dovo is great.
My views on equipment have changed over the past year. I recently attended a sia

ailing event. There were people with the latest gear racing. A guy who had won the event 3 times turned up without a boat not intending to race. He lent the local wreck of a club boat - about 30 years old. He won the race - what does that tell you about shaving and life itself

pedalpowersailing said:
I have the above strop and a TM. THe TM is still in storage and althought it is a thing of beauty, the Dovo is great.
My views on equipment have changed over the past year. I recently attended a sia

ailing event. There were people with the latest gear racing. A guy who had won the event 3 times turned up without a boat not intending to race. He lent the local wreck of a club boat - about 30 years old. He won the race - what does that tell you about shaving and life itself

It says it all, Tim.:thumbup:

Good to see you around!

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back