ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

May 3rd to May 9th

Eclipse Red Ring / Wizamet Super Iridium
Rubberset 400 / Manchurian SHD Fan
River Valley Trading - The Cabin
Prep

SOTD200506.jpg

This time one with the Tatara Nodachi SB + Feather blade (6x)

Because the Mr. Hyde in me (aka The King) was bringing this up in a phone call a few days ago. He wanted my opinion on this razor and I give it to him but wanted to visit it again myself to be sure.

Our calls are certainly different from most peoples, it consists of 3 parts:
First one is something like a Medical symposium. We both go over all the different things that are wrong with us and for me it's always a kind of relief when I come to the conclusion that although I'm falling apart there are always people who are far worse off then me :rolleyes:

Second part is about all the shaving stuff Mr. Hyde didn't buy but ended up at his place anyway :lol
And like todays shave it makes me wonder .... I mean when you hear that man talk about soaps, so much knowledge and then once in a while I start doubting myself, could I be wrong after all? should I try this menthol based soap sample that has been lying around for a while in a dark corner? Is it me who is at fault? And so I try and the same conclusion as all the other times I simply Hate this stuff :eek:

And the third part of the conversation is about all the macho stuff we used to do when we where younger, after which we go back to lay down and take a nap :rolleyes:

I have a rather strange shaving ritual these days with all that lockdown stuff going on but I better not tell as even The King himself said I'm cuckoo :uhoh

Margaritas in the Arctic shaving soap sample
Yoresh Shaving Bowl
Plisson Acetate Burgundy 22mm brush
Baume aftershave balm

View attachment 15610

Heyéé Snuffie an answer to your question if you rightly doubt your own shaving soap distinction the answer is a wholehearted YES and another YES :auslachen1

Is my conclusion right that you are a little bit strange when someone says on the phone that he is shaving 4 times a day the answer is a wholehearted YES and another YES. :auslachen1

Aren't you a little odd when you can't appreciate the blessings of a delicious menthol shaving soap the answer is a wholehearted YES and another YES. :auslachen1

Do we have enough physical ailments together to reasonably fill a medical encyclopedia the answer is unfortunately and wholeheartedly YES. :(

But then what I phoned in addition to perpetuating our friendship relationship was to know what you thought of the Tatara Nodachi and did I become a little wiser after your story? The answer to this is a wholehearted NO and another NO :augenroll1

Noxzema Protective Shave,
Simpsons LE TSN 2013 P8 Phyl #195 Best Badger,
Tabac Original shaving soap,
Gillette Tech Fat Handle,
Super-Max Blue Daimond 3rd x,
Tabac Original Aftershave Lotion,
Tabac Original Aftershave Fluid.

SOTD_202000506.jpg

Brush and soap:
Simpsons LE TSN 2013 P8 Phyl #195 Best Badger and Tabac Original shaving soap:
With the cooling effect of the Noxzema Protective Shave, which occurs after a while, after brushing up, it's a nice fresh start to the shave. Meanwhile, with Simpsons LE TSN 2013 P8 Phyl #195 Best Badger a nice foam beat from the Tabac Original shaving soap.To be honest I was wondering if it was such a good idea to use that Noxzema, because the foam was so comforting that I don't think I needed a preshave and the cooling was a bit much for the light but dark smell of the Tabac. In the end it turned out to be not that bad, because at the 2nd round the Tabac was clearly in the upper hand.
Blade and razor:
Used the Super-Max Blue Daimond for the 3rd time. The Super-Max Blue Daimond surprises me by doing reasonably well for the 3rd time. Yes reasonably, not super. All in all acceptable cut. Now the Gillette Tech Fat Handle is such an easy razor, with which you can do little harm and the Super-Max Blue Daimond is also best to do with. However, it can be nicer! Result BBS.
Finally: In line with the Tabac Original Aftershave Lotion and the thicker Tabac Original Aftershave Fluid. I have to conclude, that I have always underestimated the Tabac. I guess that's the age.

Is my conclusion right that you are a little bit strange when someone says on the phone that he is shaving 4 times a day the answer is a wholehearted YES and another YES.

You promised you wouldn't tell anyone :menno1! Ok ok I do but it's not what you think. in the early morning I shave my head, a few hours later I shave my face, in the afternoon I shave my head again and later in the evening my face again (I'm used to shaving twice a day since I was young but now spread it out for more pleasure and keeping busy).

Aren't you a little odd when you can't appreciate the blessings of a delicious menthol shaving soap the answer is a wholehearted YES and another

No more odd then you not appreciating other soaps IMHO

But then what I phoned in addition to perpetuating our friendship relationship was to know what you thought of the Tatara Nodachi and did I become a little wiser after your story? The answer to this is a wholehearted NO and another NO :augenroll1

And the reason for that is you didn't use the razor as far as I can tell from your SOTD's. Otherwise you would know. I said better then the Tatara Masamune. For me it is a razor that I would rate higher then a Wolfman but below a Paradigm. Ah that Javelin is SO sweet ..... :flucht1

Paladin Buck Rogers 26mm 2CSNL3 fan, Cobalt
Wickham - Citrus Musk
Eversharp - Ladies Fashion Razor
Personna - Injector (1)
Tunney

I usually experience my Paladin as a real soft, not too firm brush. Today however it decided to show proper backbone. Weird. The Wickham is exactly what it promises: a blend of musk and citrus, where the citrus is definitely citrus skin.
Eversharp Ladies Fashion Razor is advocated by some (well, one) as the best razor ever. Today, my first shave ever with this model, I'm underwhelmed: there's stubble noticable after four passes. Yes, four.

Yaqi Timber Wolf,
Van der Lovett Sailor's Blend,
Gladito Rasierhobel Executive,
PolSilver Super Iridium (3),
Van der Lovett Sailor's Blend aftershave balm.

IMG_20200507_071547.jpg

Better; starting to get a feel for the razor, but for me, the handle is too long, the razor too light and the shave not comfortable enough.

Razor: Raw Shaving RS-10 mild (USA)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (UK)
Pre-Shave: Prep Crème (UK)
Shaving Bowl: None
Soap: Hawkins & Brimble sShaving Cream (UK)
Brush: AP Shave CO 30mm Cashmere Winterhandle (Canada)
Aftershave: Kruidvat Alum (The Netherlands)
Aftershave: Brut Original
Aftershave: Hawkins & Brimble post shave (UK)
EDT: Brut Original

3P La Crema Prodigio,
Semogue 1305 Boar Bristle Shaving Brush,
Mama Bear Sandalwood Rose,
Mulcuto Schrägschnitt (metal),
Super-Max Blue Daimond 4th x,
PeReJa Rose edc,
Naturlife Krem Vazelin Gül Ve Aloevera Özlü,
Rose Fernelle Provence et Nature Edt.

SOTD_202000507.jpg

Brush and soap:
Semogue 1305 Boar Bristle Shaving Brush and Mama Bear Sandalwood Rose:
For a totally non-cooling shave, the 3P La Crema Prodigio is just fresh enough and not too cool to function as a preshave. Therefore, the foam of the Mama Bear Sandalwood Rose with the Semogue 1305 Boar Bristle Shaving Brush was immediately fresh and yet beautifully full of sweet roses with a hint of wood and something mystical. Nice fat glycerine foam.
Blade and razor blade:
The Super-Max Blue Daimond for the 4th time used. The Super-Max Blue Daimond had seen it in the 2nd round and could just barely finish this turn with the necessary attention. Again confirmation, that Super-Maxes do not really belong to my beloved blades. Can shave me pretty nice with them, but that's it. This is a lesser one and could have ended up in the piggy bank after 3 turns. So now it is. In the Mulcuto Schrägschnitt (metal) it seemed that it went well, but after the 1st round it was clear that the Super-Max Blue Daimond was gone. 4 reasonable shaves, of which the 1st 2 were actually good and then it went quickly downhill. Result DFS.
Finally: nice splashing with PeReJa Rose edc. It's nice and natural and doesn't dominate the alcohol.Then moisturize with the Naturlife Krem Vazelin Gül Ve Aloevera Özlü, which also has a nice pinkish and nice greasing effect, without walking around with a shiny sticky head. Rose Fernelle Provence et Nature Edt on it and my wife was happy with me again.

PICT_20200507_103827.JPG
MWF lotion
M-keramiek scuttle
Omega barber style boar brush
TGS limone
Liese + Treet carbon #2
Vdh alum
Dickinsons witch hazel
Old Spice whitewater AS, Wilkinson hydro

Second shave with the Treet carbon was good. I handstropped the blade. Let's see if the blade will shave once more.

E529F201-09C4-4F1F-9D1A-5C68E2F976DA.jpeg

Pre-Shave: Prep
Shaving Soap: Soap Smooth Frozen Cranberry

Aftershave: Brooklyn Soap Company
Aftershave: Speick

Shaving Brush: Shavemac 26 mm. Fan Silvertip Badger DO1

DE-Razor: Tatara Nidochi
DE-Blade: Gillette Nacet Stainless 1x

my first shave with the Tatara and I must say absolutely not wrong. Wonderfully efficient, nice sound and comfortable. :daumenhoch

But let's have the usual 5 shaves as usual before a final judgement.

Yet one remark my great Belgian friend @Snuff wrote about this razor that he thinks he shaves even better as a Wolfman.
Of course, the question is with which Wolfman's shaving head and which blade gap?

I have a Titanium TI 22 with WR1 shaving head and a blade gap of 0.74 and after the first shave it's still one step higher so the Tatara will have quite a challenge.

Ó yes the shave was very cold.:yes_nicken

I had 5 different gaps made by wolfman Hans, at the time they where “the” thing to get, imho there is material available now with much better price quality ratio

I couldn't agree more, @Snuff .

There is the Paradigm 17-4 and it beats the Wolfman on all levels that is on certain. Also for example the Charcoals and especially for me the Level 2 are of exceptional quality.

And considering the price of the Gamechanger 0.84 -and by the way also this Tatara is reasonably priced- combined with the fantastic shaving characteristics it would be the pinnacle of price/quality ratio at the moment.

But for me all the innovations in this area the Wolfman still remains one of my absolute top razor.

Just like on the Slants category an old one, the Mulcuto Nadelspitzen is still my favourite.
And this is me an old lady much older as his owner.;)

So not every scraper is overtaken by youth. :nein1

Simple&Elegant. Jest like I love.

Brush: Frank Shaving G4 Synthetic
Soap: Declaration Grooming Vide Poche
Razor: Ever Ready Natural Angle a.k.a. E-bar
AS: Proradi Green

Attachments

• 20200507_175641.jpg
    20200507_175641.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 7
Back