ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

maybe a stupid question

I used to use WD40 as well as Ballistol and also light mineral oil, but I find these too ...oily, or even watery, sometimes they tended to bead on certain blades, which made me wonder if the steel was protected enough.

Today the only thing I use is technical vaseline. It's several times more viscous ("sticky") than oils, you just spread a little on your index finger and thumb and slide the blade between. Completely hassle-free, no risk of staining anything with an accidental drop, sticks to steel perfectly and is very efficient. I don't even bother to wipe it off my fingers, I just smear what's left in another hand and it's absorbed in no time.

DJKELLY said:
If you can stand the smell, WD40 is cheap and much more effective as a rust preventive than as a lubricant/penetrant. It makes me gag and reminds me of another time of life when I was a mechanic. Kinda like smelling a crayon.
Dennis, if a crayon reminds you of being a mechanic, it's everyone's luck that you ain't anymore! :lol: Having said that, I must admit that I actually like this WD40 smell...

cheers,
Matt

Matt said:
I used to use WD40 as well as Ballistol and also light mineral oil, but I find these too ...oily, or even watery, sometimes they tended to bead on certain blades, which made me wonder if the steel was protected enough.

Today the only thing I use is technical vaseline. It's several times more viscous ("sticky") than oils, you just spread a little on your index finger and thumb and slide the blade between. Completely hassle-free, no risk of staining anything with an accidental drop, sticks to steel perfectly and is very efficient. I don't even bother to wipe it off my fingers, I just smear what's left in another hand and it's absorbed in no time.

DJKELLY said:
If you can stand the smell, WD40 is cheap and much more effective as a rust preventive than as a lubricant/penetrant. It makes me gag and reminds me of another time of life when I was a mechanic. Kinda like smelling a crayon.
Dennis, if a crayon reminds you of being a mechanic, it's everyone's luck that you ain't anymore! :lol: Having said that, I must admit that I actually like this WD40 smell...

cheers,
Matt
I can see how you would take that crayon thing, Matt, but what I meant is that if you smell a box of crayons, most people will instantly be transported to another time when they were very young. WD does that to me in a less pleasant way. I agree with you that it is good I am not a professional mechanic any more, too. Way too many assholes that compain that their gas tanks leaks after you worked on the radiator.
Cheers, Denny

DJKELLY said:
I can see how you would take that crayon thing, Matt, but what I meant is that if you smell a box of crayons, most people will instantly be transported to another time when they were very young.
Sure thing, Dennis, I got it right from the start... :| Mine is smell from a mangle, which used to be near the kindergarten, exhausting vapours through a big fan in the wall - one hardly can smell it these nowadays. Or the smell of blooming false acacia (aka black locust), which smells like nasal antibiotic I used to be given at childhood.

regards,
Matt

Honeysuckle and rabbit tobacco does the same for me, Matt. We should have put these thoughts with BlackNTan's thread.

tat2Ralfy said:
Heres the stuff I use, described as a light mineral oil, which tells me very little:

express-gun-oil_51D05E4D_std.jpg

And the stuff in little packets, that comes packed with electric goods, is Silica Gel, it works by absorbing moisture, and as such has a finite life, it gets full and doesn't work anymore.

Silica_Gel_desiccant_for_packaging.jpg

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Ralfy, good call on both approaches. Gun oils are typically oriented towards protection, except a few designed to keep slick at very low temps (RemOil). The silica gel does get saturated, but can be dried out and used almost indefinitely. I save all those little packettes and when I have enough, I'll cut open and empty the crystals into a clean metal can. for about 2-4 oz of crystals, you can stick them in the oven at 350F for an hour. Cool in a dry place (or let them cool slowly in the dry oven) and reuse.

Back