ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Modern Gillette DE???

gvw755

I saw on another forum someone posting a new listing on Amazon.com:

Amazon product ASIN B07XPRRV9Y
It is called a Gillette Heritage and it is a 3 piece DE with what appears to be a Gillette New common bar handle and a Muhle head. This one seem to be fully associated with Gillette with the words on the cover of the case, and Gillette listed as the seller.

This is not to be confused with a company in Canada selling Tribute razors and replacing pics of genuine Gillette razors, while selling clones.

Anyone heard of this?

I posted this a while back in the DE - General section.

https://shavinguniverse.com/community/threads/modern-gillette-de.2417/

Apparently it is a genuine Gillette offering and the folks on the US forums are all going crazy somehow believing that this is a sign that Gillette will return to making DE razors. I think more wishful thinking that anything else. Gillette probably wanted to come out with something just to end all the mail they constantly receive from those that somehow believe Gillette should start making DE razors again.:disco1

As @Hellas pointed out, it is an EJ89 head, which Gillette has some kind of working arrangement with EJ. The handle is a Common Bar handle found on the Gillette New razors and I am not sure who are making those (maybe they found a couple of cases of those while clearing out an old warehouse).

I decided to stay away from this one as I already have too much vintage Gillette razors and I am sure that the worst of them is probably better than this one.:kopfkissen

So unusual that the shaving forum in the USA has close to 400 posts on this topic and here we have just four people posting. Must be a cultural thing. It seems that those in the USA see this limited production Heritage razor as the second coming of the Messiah, where Gillette sees the error of it's ways and will convert a couple of their assembly plants to start producing DE razors again (or maybe have EJ send them more heads). Still, the case is nice, the price is right, but that is all that should matter as I don't see Gillette returning to mass producing their DE razors any time soon. Now, if they produced a bottom dial Fat Boy again, that would attract my interest. :Eek

@Wilco Roos, did you ever place an order?

Well, all razors are sold out! Looks like all you members with taste living on your side of the pond missed out on getting a true classic (me too). :headwall1
Expect to see these go on eBay in 50 years selling for $1000 as a NOS Gillette.:sabber1

Hooray! It seems that the Gillette Heritage razors are back in stock once again. They must have the folks at Muhle/EJ working overtime to produce enough heads to meet the demand.:dance1:dance1

For all, if you missed it the first time, you now have a second chance. :disco1:disco1:disco1

Now I'm not a Gillette adept or lover but I don't fully understand the excitement of this scraper.
I really wonder what reminds me - besides the name - of the old Gillettes when the most important thing about a scraper is the shaving head of Mühle?

But of course it is my ignorance from which this thought occurs so let's go. :oops:

O my. I hope they won't increase productionfacilities based on this peak. That would only lead to disapointment.
Increasing production facilities will only benefit EJ unless they decide to sign a contract with Baili and get their Tech clone heads for a lot cheaper. Perhaps they can contract with Rockwell to rebrand their Model T as the new Slim. :kaputtlachen1

THAT would teach every one a lesson.

Now I'm not a Gillette adept or lover but I don't fully understand the excitement of this scraper.
I really wonder what reminds me - besides the name - of the old Gillettes when the most important thing about a scraper is the shaving head of Mühle?

But of course it is my ignorance from which this thought occurs so let's go. :oops:
The shave and the razor is not important to us fanatics in the USA. It is the fact that a giant conglomerate like Gillette (and P&G) finally recognized the DE community and wanted to increase their fan base and to keep hopes alive that they will pull out the old machinery and start making Bottom Dial Fat Boys once again. :sabber1:sabber1

This is similar to VW when they decided to get rid of the Beetle, but after the uproar (mostly from the folks in the USA), they decided to put a Beetle shaped body on a front engined, water cooled chassis and called it the New Beetle.

hope springs eternal for us. :kopfkissen:kopfkissen

Mmmmm I think these kinds of companies are only interested in making a profit, so the DE razor blades that come out of their factory will be much more expensive in the long run.

And that's why I would have preferred to do my hobby in silence and unnoticed without the marketing department of Gillette labelling me as a target group again.

By the way, the new Beetle was also a flaw and weak infusion and therefore only viable for a short time. And when I look at what Gillette is offering right now, it looks a lot like this to me.

It'll be obvious I'm not that excited. ;)

Back