ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Mvltiplex

efsk

Absurd hero
SU-Patron Gold
Actually five blades, but only sharpened on one side.
For years I've been yearning after a Mvltiplex razor. Saw a few pictures, and just knew I needed one. Preferably, one with a dome to store it in.
Fascinating razor really, multiple blades in a complicated construction: blade-plate-blade-plate and so on, with really tight tolerances that made producing these rather expensive: apparently, so I've read, not everything fitted right, so a lot of production-loss. I have one handle that just will not fit right, kind of proves it. This made the razor not the biggest success, although it was marketed internationally and advertising claimed folk like Marconi had one. Kind of amazing he didn't have a mustache.
Handles are either simple or decorated, thin or thick, apparently eight different types exist. I've three: two models, one of them in silver and in gold. Topcap is either smooth or has an integrated nut with which it can be fastened to the base of the above mentioned dome. There should be a three-blade-version as well.
Patented by mr Pelizzola, 8 nov 1928 in Italy, 1930 in Germany and Switzerland, 1933 in the US.

My first one arrived despite some DHL-difficulties. Looks like Nickel, a Potemkin Stairway of a razor. Five blades, each of which stepped backwards from the previous one. Two thin bolts with nut underneath. Blades and plates are numbered, Blades have multiple holes, and black arrows pointing to the right hole for its position. This way they only had to produce two types of blade instead of five. (Dis)Assembly shows how tight everything fits. There really is no room for just the slightest error.Baseplate is attached to the handle, bolts to the topcap.

DSC01659.JPG
DSC01660.JPG
DSC01661.JPG
DSC01662.JPG
DSC01663.JPG
DSC01664.JPG
DSC01665.JPG
DSC01666.JPG
DSC01667.JPG
DSC01668.JPG
DSC01669.JPG
DSC01670.JPG

Last edited:
Then my second Mvltiplex came. This one had a few trackingissues with DHL, was delivered correctly however.
Razor arrived in original shipper, which confuses me: the razorbrand is Mvltiplex. It says so on the razor, on the blades, on the NOS bladepack that came with it. The shipper however calls it a Multiplex, which according to Waits' Compendium is an entirely different brand.
The shipper is rather thick cardboard, stapled together, with English text. When you open it, a brass dome appears. Wiggling a bit, and the top comes off: a gilded razor shows itself, upside down, screwed onto the base.
Some careful turning, and there the razor is, in all its fabulous gold sheen. Fat handle, decorated, Medusa-head on the bottom. Bascally like the razor in the threadstarter, except the basepate is a seperate plate, not attached to the (simpler) handle. Like mentioned before: the topcap has a built-in (built-on) nut, that you use to screw it onto the dome-base. According to the instructions, of which I got xeroxes, storing in the (closed) dome is for travelpurposes only.
DSC02658.JPG
DSC02659.JPG
DSC02660.JPG
DSC02661.JPG
DSC02662.JPG
DSC02663.JPG
DSC02664.JPG
DSC02665.JPG
DSC02666.JPG
DSC02667.JPG
DSC02668.JPG
DSC02669.JPG
DSC02670.JPG
DSC02671.JPG
DSC02672.JPG
DSC02673.JPG
DSC02674.JPG
DSC02675.JPG

The two above Mvliplexes came with a number of spare parts. Sufficient to build a third razor. This has the Medusa--handle in silver, with OC-baseplate.
DSC02698.JPG
DSC02699.JPG
DSC02700.JPG
DSC02702.JPG

Shouldn't this be under the multi-blade razor section? :confused

If given the choice to shave with this or a Gillette Fusion, I'm not sure which I would choose.

Shouldn't this be under the multi-blade razor section? :confused

If given the choice to shave with this or a Gillette Fusion, I'm not sure which I would choose.
Five individual Single Edge blades - I'm happy with it being in the SE category.
I have handled one of these once and I'd be thrilled to shave with one. A Fusion bores me.
The only problem is that you wouldn't have five sharp vintage blades.

Found another one, this one, too, in a dome. The dome itself is aluminum, with nice curves along the bottom of the top-part. The basepart is just too tight: the razor won't turn nicely when screwing it in or out, and when screwed in, it is just a bit tilted. Dome is nicely perforated, I suspect for drying but may be decorative as well.
Razor itself came to me with only blades 1 and 3, and the interesting, to me, thing is these are different model blades than those with the earlier shown models Mvltiplex. Handle, too, is different: it is a fat handle with a simple knob. Other than the Medusaheaded handles, this one has the baseplate (plate 5) integrated, as has the thin handle that started the thread.
DSC03971.JPG
DSC03972.JPG
DSC03973.JPG
DSC03974.JPG
DSC03975.JPG
DSC03976.JPG
DSC03977.JPG
DSC03978.JPG
DSC03979.JPG
DSC03980.JPG
DSC03981.JPG
DSC03982.JPG

This razor always amazes me! Did you ever shave with any of yours? Seems that this would be perfect for someone wanting to transition from a multi blade Gillette Fusion.

A to me new model is this Mvltiplex. Same aluminium dome as the previous one, but this razor only has one screwpost, near the handle. This means it also needs a guidingpost, of which it has two, and a different model blade than the two types shown before. And indeed: rectangular blades with three holes, a unique blade per position. Time (I think) has blackened the blades, so am not sure if they're numbered, but they all have one logical position. Plates between the blades have been too rigurously cleaned by a previous owner, and possibly because of that no number is visible there, either.
Will need to spend some time to make it Ooh! Shiney! again.
DSC05828.JPG
DSC05829.JPG
DSC05830.JPG
DSC05831.JPG
DSC05832.JPG
DSC05833.JPG
DSC05834.JPG
DSC05835.JPG
DSC05836.JPG

And another one, where I'm not sure how to convey my enormous enthusiasm about the piece to you. 1398 grams in weight, huge, all parts except the screws marked 17, although in the cap it's scratched instead of stamped, and the blades measure 16/8 a piece. Here it is: the unbelievable Mvltiplex Display Razor
DSC05817.JPG
DSC05818.JPG
DSC05819.JPG
DSC05820.JPG
DSC05821.JPG
DSC05822.JPG
DSC05823.JPG
DSC05824.JPG
DSC05825.JPG
DSC05826.JPG
DSC05827.JPG

Found it a bit difficult to maneuver under the nose. Also, when shaving the throat-area you must take care to not accidentally shave your nipples.

Back