ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

my 54 arived

garyhaywood

I've not done any major honing just yet. It's a very nice hone. fast cutter as mentioned , hybrid side is not far behind the hybrid side just a tadge slower i would say. i managed to remove a chip with the normal side of the hone on one of my da's. I have honed a dovo razor up using dilucot, New improved dilucot.

hht test was exallant, the shave was also as good as it gets. Nice smooth edge. compared to my other two coticules. The edge is very similar. I could'nt tell any differance 's. The end result on my coticules are all very much similar. except the feel when honing differs. I would say this hone could be similar to the one bart sent me for the true blue test or probably like ralfy's nu 10

my coti 21 tends to leave a extra smooth edge.And reaches keeness very easily of slurry .

My #2 came yesterday too mate, looking forward to giving it a go, if I ever get these scales done..lol
Yeah the coti/bbw in the otb pack is very very similar to my #10, I would have to compare the 2 directly to say if the difference was worth mentioning, thats how close I found it.

one thing i noticed is with water this is the first coticule that cuts with water and i can see the swarf on my hone.

just honed with hybrid side. this is real nice to hone on very smooth this side cut's real quik, seems a little harder than the other side.with water there is a real nice draw. i don't no what you think bart but this hybrid side is probably the nicest hone i ever honed on.

garyhaywood said:
one thing i noticed is with water this is the first coticule that cuts with water and i can see the swarf on my hone.

I get that on both mine, more so on the new one though

kinematic said:
So how fast is a Les Latneuses compared to a fast La Veinette or La Nouvelle Vein?

Well I have a fast La Veinette as well as the Les Latneuses, and the LL is faster for sure

garyhaywood said:
just honed with hybrid side. this is real nice to hone on very smooth this side cut's real quik, seems a little harder than the other side.with water there is a real nice draw. i don't no what you think bart but this hybrid side is probably the nicest hone i ever honed on.

Oh goody cant wait to give it a go mate, how was HHT after using the Hybrid side Gary?

hht was on a differant razor but it passed first time using the new dilucot. ralfy is your new coti number 2 from the vault. what i will do next week is hone the same razor on the hybrid side and compare hht and shave.

The swarf is all over my coticule on my number three it just runs down the edge. just a faint trail.

Some pictures:
Hybrid backside.
[img=900]http://www.coticule.be/tl_files/barts_pics/Gary%27s%20Pictures/Picture%20071.jpg[/img]

Upside.
[img=900]http://www.coticule.be/tl_files/barts_pics/Gary%27s%20Pictures/Picture%20072.jpg[/img]

So the Les Latneuses cuts faster than you other hone on water? how is it at finishing? I look forward to hearing how you get on mate, I am sure you will know that new stone in no time at all

My new Coticule is the #2 Les Latneuses (Burton Series 0002) only had a quick go with it, and first impressions are very good mate :thumbup:

This is the most beautiful stone I have ever seen. I would love to get me something like that someday! :thumbup:

tat2Ralfy said:
So the Les Latneuses cuts faster than you other hone on water? how is it at finishing? I look forward to hearing how you get on mate, I am sure you will know that new stone in no time at all

My new Coticule is the #2 Les Latneuses (Burton Series 0002) only had a quick go with it, and first impressions are very good mate :thumbup:

Is it in the vault . is it number 52 ralfy. My first shave with it was very smooth.

I'm just resting my skin i will shave again tomorrow. The first shave was 12 hours after my last one. makes it hard to judge, fresh skin and two days stubble tells me more.i will post'

post a picture of yours yours must be the same as mine then ralfy.

I have noticed my 0001 cuts faster than my number three.

I've noticed that the hybrid side leaves a more mirror finish the hht seems to be good but more of a pop than a soft sound. using my 30k loop i noticed this is it possible bart

This is my smallest coticule after honing one of my knives made of Damast steel on it. This is on just water and the drab is almost completely black wich means there was almost no slurry formed. If a Les Latneuses is even faster that's just riduculously fast :w00t:

15042010787.jpg

kinematic said:
This is my smallest coticule after honing one of my knives made of Damast steel on it. This is on just water and the drab is almost completely black wich means there was almost no slurry formed. If a Les Latneuses is even faster that's just riduculously fast :w00t:

15042010787.jpg

that looks as fast as it gets. I never sharpend a knife , i only use for staright razors. My faster coticules are quik enought for me. I dout mine would turn that black with water. I'm not going to try neither i'd have to use use serious pressure

Speed for sharpening knives can't be compared to speed for sharpening razors.
Here's the hardness (in Rockwell) of some well-known and excellent brands of kitchen cutlery (SS= stainless steel, CS= Carbon steel):
Wusthof Classic Paring SS: 56.5
Wusthof Dreizack Paring SS: 54.1
Sabatier 4-Star 10-in. Chef's CS: 58.3
Sabatier 4-Star 14-in. Chef's CS: 37.8
Sabatier Two Lions Cleaver SS: 46.6
Sabatier 4-Star 6-in. Nogent Slicer SS: 47.1
Hoffritz (Henckel's) 8-in. Chef's SS: 50.9
Anton-Wingen Othello Slicer SS: 41.7

Most manufacturers use an optimal ratio between hardness for good edge retention, but not so much that the steel becomes too brittle.

Straight razor are handled with care and undergo far less lateral stresses, so they are typically hardened to a higher degree. On average somewhere in the 58-62 range.

The Rockwell scale is a logarithmic scale, which means that a difference of as little as 1 point is NOT a small difference. Most tools sharpen fast on Coticules, even without slurry in many cases. The speed ratings in the Vault are based on sharpening razor steel, hardened at high Rockwell. For judging speed, I use an worn Thiers Issard razor. I estimate how easily the Coticule removes DMT-C scratches and how fast a milky slurry discolors during the first few passes. After that, I hone several razors on each hone, which allows me to confirm my estimate. There's always one Double Arrow among the test razors, that acts as a base of comparison.
If I was to use my kitchen knifes for judging speed, I would qualify them all as fast and very fast.

Kind regards,
Bart.

The knife I honed is made of Damast steel hardened to 60-61 HRC. I did use a bit more pressure but that's expected on a knife. It also does a very good job on my Japanese chisels wich have a hardness of 64 HRC! But anyway, it's a shame these Let Latneuses are so rare. Do you have any idea how many of them turn up per year?

kinematic said:
The knife I honed is made of Damast steel hardened to 60-61 HRC. I did use a bit more pressure but that's expected on a knife. It also does a very good job on my Japanese chisels wich have a hardness of 64 HRC! But anyway, it's a shame these Let Latneuses are so rare. Do you have any idea how many of them turn up per year?
Last year, I've seen 7, maybe 8. I'm almost sure I've seen most of the production, because these Les Latneuses were not send to Resellers. They used to refuse them, because the backside looks so "ugly". Maurice told me he couldn't sell them without a live demonstration of the good honing quality.

The ones I saw, went all into the Vault, or in the little fund-raising threat called "Les Latneuses". The 4th one I purchased myself, but sold to Gary (n°54 of the Vault). Smythe owns one (n°19). N°31 went to rhframpton. I'm hoping he'll still make a post about his purchase. n°55 is mine (my favorite dimensions for a hone, that's why I let go of n°54). N°52 is reserved by Victorious. That leaves n°51 and n°53, which aren't fully tested yet, but I can tell you they're on par with the rest.
That sums up all Les Latneuses I know about.
It is impossible to predict what the future will bring.

Best regards,
Bart.

Here's a question for you Bart: what exactly does the name mean? I couldn't find it in any translator & I think I've tried nearly all of them.:confused:

I still can't get over the feedback from mine--not as much suction as my Kiita , but there is a definite draw; soft but not too much. Easily my favorite stone of any type I've ever used.:thumbup: I'm serious.

Wow! That's an absolutely beautiful hone. It almost looks like marble. I couldn't imagine honing on a surface like that. Are all Les Latneuses like that on the hybrid side?

If you guys don't mind my asking, how much was this stone? I understand if you want to keep it private, but I was just wondering.

"Les Latneuses", It's sort of French, contaminated with the old Vielsalmian dialect. My best guess is "The Milknoses".Or perhaps just: "The Milky Ones". Something like that.

Back