ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

My first dumb question

BlacknTan

I just received my 175 x 50mm La Veinette from Maurice at Ardennes, and I'm very happy with it.

I've used the search, and the concensus seems to be that the stones are flat from Ardennes and require no initial lapping. The stone appears very flat and true. I checked it on granite, no rocking and it's flat on a straightedge. It has some fine radial scratches, but that appears to be the norm. So, I assume I don't need to lap with a DMT 325?

Next question... I also received a La Veinette bout as a slurry stone. i'm not aware of the differences in hardness of the different available layers, but would it be advantageous to get a slurry stone from a somewhat softer layer? My reasoning is that I'd rather wear the slurry stone bout for slurry production that the La Veinette stone. Is there enough difference in the relative hardness of the different layers to make this a viable option?

They say that the only stupid questions are the ones unasked, so I bit the bullet and asked...

Thanks in advance.

BlacknTan said:
Next question... I also received a La Veinette bout as a slurry stone. i'm not aware of the differences in hardness of the different available layers, but would it be advantageous to get a slurry stone from a somewhat softer layer? My reasoning is that I'd rather wear the slurry stone bout for slurry production that the La Veinette stone. Is there enough difference in the relative hardness of the different layers to make this a viable option?

They say that the only stupid questions are the ones unasked, so I bit the bullet and asked...

Thanks in advance.

I'll hazard a guess and say that it doesn't matter, as you'll be long dead before you get to wear either the hone and/or the slurry stone.

I thought you were going to ask a dumb question Bill? :p

No need to lap your stone, they are fine straight from Ardennes, all evidence leads to the fact that your slurry stone will in no way affect your hone either, its simply not worth looking for a softer one, besides they are all pretty much as hard as rock..lol

IMHO the combination you have is perfect, I use a matching slurry stone with my le Veinette and it is spot on.

See that first question went well yes? now dont be shy we are all here to help each other my friend

Warmest wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

RicTic said:
I'll hazard a guess and say that it doesn't matter, as you'll be long dead before you get to wear either the hone and/or the slurry stone.
Bill,
I wish you a very long and prosperous life, with vigorous beard grow to well in your nineties, so that you can enjoy many shaves,
But still I think David is right. You're unlikely going to wear through that stone in this lifetime.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I might be dead before I get to pay the bill from PayPal, but that's another story..:-/

Thanks for all the good advice!

Haha. :D
Bill, Please forgive me. I'm a *dour Mancunian with a sense of humour to match.
*See Morrissey (The Smiths)

I sincerely hope you outlive your stone.

Yours grumpily,

David.

Hahahah
David I didnt read it that way, honest ;)

Bill, live long and prosper my friend

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I remember Morrissey, and The Smiths, and I certainly hope your both right about outliving the stone, because I remember watching Elvis on TV... When he was starting out!:scared:

BlacknTan said:
I remember Morrissey, and The Smiths, and I certainly hope your both right about outliving the stone, because I remember watching Elvis on TV... When he was starting out!:scared:

Great band , btw!

Back