ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

My new babies!

mrmaroon

check these out! I saved the best for last :O

Beng3.jpg

Beng5.jpg

Beng8.jpg

Beng.jpg

:w00t: you have some great razors there...
Is the first a Bengal... i can just make out Be... A square point Bengal? don't see those often.
You don't find many Keen Kutters with such nice etching... and looks to have never been sharpened.
Spikes I believe are the greatest American wedgies (knock wood)... smoothest shaves.
Nothing to be said about the DD Dwarf .... one of the most maneuverable razors from that maker, great shaver.

You are correct about it being a bengal, however it doesn't have a square point! It is a spanishish point, more of a reverse french! The KK is actually sharp but has no hone wear. The bevel on that one is microscopic. The DD is probably the smoothest shaver I have. In the same manueverability league as the SPIKE.

Spanish point Bengal?... even less likely to see in ones lifetime.
No hone were on the Kutter... yes that's right... never been sharpened... well, never been sharpened outside the factory.
had one of those dwarfs some time ago, and in a bout of madness i sold her:cry: ... will find another... soon?

No hone wear on the KK, but used taped to hone it :lol: The point on the bengal is square on the spine and then juts out towards the bottom of the blade.

I won this on egay, I didn't think everyone would hit as hard as they did, I put a bid of 70 and won it for 66. It looks decent in the photos, I guess only real life will tell though. Can't seem to find much on these Moguls or ROMO's. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280479359931&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Oh my, that’s a nice one... been looking for another romo for quite some time… almost wished i found that one before you did... congrats ROMOs are great shavers and unique too.

ROMO Stands for Rosenbaum & Mogal, Inc, a New York import firm in operation between 1917 and 1924, and it is my understanding the ROMO trademark is now owned by Mitchell Mogal, Inc, a firm renowned for importing fine cutlery from all over the world… but most notably Switchblade Knives.

Here is a photo of one I sold in a bout of madness:cry: .
ROMO_FRT_II-1.jpg

That's odd: I have here a razor on loan from Ray, that looks almost identical. Damn' fine shaver too (honed by Ray's magic hands).
It really looks like a twin of the ROMO, scales included.
Only this one says: "Scotland & Munro - Cohoes, N.Y." and on the other side of the tang: "Krusius brothers, Germany".

Best regards,
Bart.

been looking for another romo for quite some time… almost wished i found that one before you did... congrats ROMOs are great shavers and unique too.
Well smythe, it a good thing you held out on this one. The end of the blade was bent at a pretty good angle, I dunno how it would of gotten like that. I had to turn it into a round point to true it up a little better. There is also some pitting along the bottom heel, but that can be fixed easily. Is there a way I could shine this one up and not remove the grinder marks?

Is it bent as shown by the arrows in this photo?
ROMO_HiClass.jpg

I would have sent it back to the seller, Don't be frighted by the "sold as is" in the description... for one thing, he didn't disclose the flaw and was not shown in the photo... in-fact the close-up views don't show the flaw... as if they were deliberately cropped out.

But, be that as it is, you did the best thing to round it out, unfortunatly there is no easy way to polish without smoothing out some of the tool marks, or losing the gold plating, and to a lesser extent the etching.

But from what I can see it doesn't look all that bad... the pitting at the edge near the heel will need to be removed, if you hold the blade at about 45 degree angle (like sharpening a knife) and gently abrade away the edge until you get to bright steel then hone as normal she should have a good edge.

The first thing I do with any blade is wash with soap, water and an old toothbrush, you would be surprised how it looks when done. Don't forget to dry thoroughly with paper towel, or you may use a hair drier on low heat or one of those compressed air cans (dust buster) and blow away the moisture.

The arrows are in the general area, but it isn't bent as far back as you have marked. I have fixed it up nicely now, a very tiny tiny part is bent, but the bevel is even on both sides. Im going to test it out tonight. (Yes, I shave late at night!)

Smythe said:
Here is a photo of one I sold in a bout of madness:cry: .
Ahhh, beautiful. Cedrick, should your bout of madness kick in again, please contact me ASAP. :lol:

regards,
Matt

Bart said:
That's odd: I have here a razor on loan from Ray, that looks almost identical. Damn' fine shaver too (honed by Ray's magic hands).
It really looks like a twin of the ROMO, scales included.
Only this one says: "Scotland & Munro - Cohoes, N.Y." and on the other side of the tang: "Krusius brothers, Germany".

Best regards,
Bart.
There is another one out there?
This one only had ROMO at the front tang and "Sheffield Steel" stamped at the back, blade is 11/16 wide and though the photo does not show it has an nice arched spine. Also she sings like banshee at the slightest provocation.... fantastic shaver... will miss her.

Here a quick picture (I didn't care to wipe the oil of the blade)
Rays2.jpg

It has a mild curve at the spine (compare with green straight line). "Plings" very loud, sings when stropped, and screams her way through stubble.:)

Bart said:
Here a quick picture (I didn't care to wipe the oil of the blade)
Rays2.jpg

It has a mild curve at the spine (compare with green straight line). "Plings" very loud, sings when stropped, and screams her way through stubble.:)

You see if I was covetous in any way I would want one of those now, but I dont! no way not at all Honest! :p

tat2Ralfy said:
You see if I was covetous in any way I would want one of those now, but I dont! no way not at all Honest! :p
Talk to Ray. It's his razor. You never know. :)

Oh man... I just love singing steel... no no don't wipe the oil... perfect just as she is.

Back