ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

My new coticule No 3

garyhaywood

My coticule arived to day with afree combo slurry stone which was nice of ardenees.

The hone looks absalutley mint the surface has such anice marking it looks 10 times better in real life.

I realy dulled my srp TI on the slate this coti is rated very fast with slurry so here we go. 10 minutes and the edge was reset shaving arm hair no probs i then slowly diluted 20 laps first the 25,30, 35,40,45,55,65,75,untill slurry was non exsistant then 100 on plain water whole process took a good 30 minutes.hht passed on my chest realy well not so well on finer hair i stropped 50 linen 50 litigo 50 cowhide hht pass on finer stomach hair with ease real happy with results the feed back is amazing with slurry and water with water the coticule sounds like it is still cutting very smooth blade movmant no jittering what so ever with or with out slurry the sound this hone makes is exalant i have lots of cotis in the past i liked all of them apart from one this one i found so easy to achieve a realy good edge and have to say it will be my number one now people may think its early days but i can tell the differance straight away.

Also this is the best value the price was very reasonable and the quality of this hone is 10/10 for looks feel sound and the edge i got from it. i have to agree delivery was a little expensive but still worth the extra plus i got slurry stone for free. This hone can cut very fast i will defanatly be buying another one from barts selection.

Awesome
how did you find the emails from Rob at the quarry Gary?
I havent heard back from him in nearly a week

i've dealt with rob quite athew times he always got back to me. I never heard from him this time apart from invoice a week seems a little long for rob. i emailed him twice about adding slurry stone he never replyed but he did send me one yours should be on its way don't forget postal strikes in certain areas Gary

Rob and Maurice rise early each day, for an hour drive to Lierneux, where the company resides. They work long hours each day, and then they drive an hour back home. After supper, all the e-mails are waiting for reply, before bedtime. Rob's a young energetic fellow, I'm sure he likes to spend time with his girlfriend and occasionally grab a beer with his friends. For us members here, this is all a nice hobby, but for Maurice and Rob, it's every day's hard work. All other mines closed down, not because they were depleted or there was no demand, but because young people could imagine easier ways to earn more money quicker.
I admire Rob and Maurice for the heavy and often dirty work in difficult circumstances they do each day to keep the Coticule legacy alive. No one keeps up with that, without a great sense of devotion.

They are not running some shop from behind a desk with a computer. (I doubt they have internet in Lierneux).
Personally I try to bother them as little as possible and await patiently to get back in touch with me when I send them e-mail. They always do.

Maybe, in the future I will propose them to take care of shipping and sales myself, but only to disburden Rob and Maurice. Not to make you guy's lifes any easier. :lol:

Kind regards,
Bart.

I meant no disrespect, i just wanted to be sure all was well
and best wishes to them both, I respect their devotion
and yours of course Sir Bart :thumbup:

Oh, but I didn't catch any disrespect, Ralfy. I only wanted to point out to everyone reading along, how hard these people are working.

just done my second razor on a slight smily blade same process this thing cut fast my slurry turned dark blue very quik hht on the fine hairs pass no probs after stropping just the heal and toe not qiute there i will re do tomorrow and concentrate more in those areas see if i can get it perfect. I'm persuming the strop did'nt make make full contact in those areas even though i can tell through tpt the blade is so sticky tofee sharp except the heal and toe sticky but not enough for me probably will shave but not as good as could do. For sure i'm getting great results so far this is a very good coticule in every way.

I'm glad you're happy, Garry. N°3 is a nice one, and I believe it found a warm home.:)

Cheers,
Bart.

Rob and Maurice sound quite devoted. I know at this age I wouldn't be working long hours, and would definitely be in a city. As Belgians I'm sure you guys know at least three languages, so you have quite the selection of cities there. Dang, know I wish I was born in Belgium.

Funny, earlier I was thinking working at a place like Ardennes would be cool, if I were and engineer.

Sounds like you got and awesome stone there Gary. :thumbup: I can't wait for mine to arrive.

If this would of been my first ever coticule i would never of brought another having said that i will buy another one from the vault as they are good price.

just redone the one that needed more atention at heal and toe and shaved with both the TI and my shefield razor in two halves both razors after stroping seem to pass the hht alot easier of this hone i don't no why maybe because it is such afast cutter and refiner compared to my others may be bart can answer that for me?

The shaves were perect on both razors very smooth absalutly sharp enough for my strong stubble with grain no probs across the grain including lip and chin realy glided. i never shave against the grain normaly only now and again especialy if i'm testing an edge both razor shave aginst the grain realy well even up and over my chin with good guidence i find you have to use a differant technique aginst the grain depending on the razor normaly a flater angle works for me people somtimes shave aginst the grain and think thhere razor is the problem which it can be if its not sharp enough in some cases it can be your angle which makes it uncomfortabl. Any way all good and two very consistant results i will use this coticule regular the smoothness of this coticule is nice and crisp just like bart mentioned. I normaly would have to use paste to get the sharpness i realy want not with this coticule i may add 10 laps on cro.5 and see if theres any differance.I find shaving of the coticule my skin is so much differant i could shave every day of the coticule with out any iritation.

Sounds like you are doing fine, Gary.
If you got the best of that hone, using CrO won't make much difference.
It's a sound way to test your skills. :)

Bart.

Well i just put my pasted paddle in the classified as i don't use it that often keeping my live loom that has cro on linen but your right i don't realy need it i got exallaant edges of my 5x3 but not as easy as with this new one why would this be bart. not that i could'nt with 5x3 just this one no 3 realy giving as sharper a edge as if i would get with paste. realy good but weird how they can differ.To be onest i would never sell this hone for double the money its taken a long time to find one that suits me i reckon this with water does cut very slightly.

garyhaywood said:
Well i just put my pasted paddle in the classified as i don't use it that often keeping my live loom that has cro on linen but your right i don't realy need it i got exallaant edges of my 5x3 but not as easy as with this new one why would this be bart. not that i could'nt with 5x3 just this one no 3 realy giving as sharper a edge as if i would get with paste. realy good but weird how they can differ.To be onest i would never sell this hone for double the money its taken a long time to find one that suits me i reckon this with water does cut very slightly.
You are correct: that one has enough abrasive properties when used with water, to offer additional edge refinement. With many other Coticules, you need to hit the maximum level of sharpness, before you get to the pure water stage. But that doesn't mean you can't get the edge just as sharp on those Coticules.
Now that you know how your n°3 feels when honing on water, this gives you an advantage that you can use on your other ones as well. After honing on many Coticules, I can pretty accurately feel it when the hone starts loosing its sharpening powers and turns into a mere polisher. It's all a matter of staying on that level long enough. While diluting slurry you must truly anticipate on that moment and make it the climax of your honing: start increasing the lap count a bit up front, get your very best laps out of the closet. And focus, now more than ever.

On your n°3, this point is when you have reached pure water, but on many other Coticules, this is somewhere in the diluting slurry stage. Often, but not always, near the end. Sometimes it's even located in between a quick rinse and a thorough rinse.
Please understand that I'm talking about the difference between an excellent edge and a fabulous edge...

Your n°3 makes things easy, because you don't really have to recognize the "sweet spot". It's right there at the end of your honing, landing on water.

Promise yourself that you won't buy another one before you have found that spot on your other Coticule. They are like women. They deserve to be treated right. That brings the best out of them...B)

what i'm doing now is when diluting i am literaly diluting untill there is no cutting sound at all this means all the slurry has realy vanished where as before i'd think that enough probably alittle to early and go to water and i can tell all the 5x3 is doing is polishing. when i was at the end of the dilute method today on no 3 coti i tryed hht and it was'nt like i'd like but after water honing just like i wanted and more. Thats how i no it must of refined more even with water i will still play with the other one i'm getting shave ready blades no probs but i no i can get ultimate edge thats what i'm wanting. If the hht is'nt quite there i would normaly go back to a medium to thin slurry and start again does that sound ok to you? If touch up fails with water i would persume you'd go back to a very fine misty slurry just to kick start the edge again then water? even though i would hone at first sign of deteriation.

So what you're saying, Bart, is that this sweet spot is the point at which the edge can't go any further (i.e can't get any sharper), and at this point you are ready to move on to just water where the edge is merely polished?

With Gary's n3 this actually happens at the water only point. So that stone, with just water, actually refines the edge to it's ultimate sharpness (the sweet spot) and then polishes the edge. With other stones with only water, they offer no edge refinement (or so little it is negligible) and merely polishing. So you must first get them to their sweet spot, which might be with a light slurry, and then move onto the water only stage.

So for example, one of those La veinette's sweet spot is probably somewhere with a medium-light slurry, since they are so sharp coming off the slurry. At which point you just wash the stone off and move on to just water.

Sorry, I'm new to honing in general, so I'm just trying to get a grasp on what's going on.

Thanks,
Justin

garyhaywood said:
If the hht is'nt quite there i would normaly go back to a medium to thin slurry and start again does that sound ok to you?
Yes, but it's better not having to go back. Honing Dilucot is like catch a big fish with a thin line (not that I know anything about that). You have to progress slowly and with concentration, and take care that the line does'nt break. Just bring it in real slowly, certainly when you're fairly new to all this (I'm not writing this for you Garry, but especially for all our less experienced members). In time, you'll learn how strong "the line" of you particular Coticule really is, and how fast your can bring the edge in.
garyhaywood said:
If touch up fails with water i would persume you'd go back to a very fine misty slurry just to kick start the edge again then water? even though i would hone at first sign of deteriation.
Yes, but also that depends on too many factors to give much direct advice, other than that you just have to reach back enough to recapture the edge at the point it deteriorated to.

justin said:
So what you're saying, Bart, is that this sweet spot is the point at which the edge can't go any further (i.e can't get any sharper), and at this point you are ready to move on to just water where the edge is merely polished?
That is correct.
justin said:
With Gary's n3 this actually happens at the water only point. So that stone, with just water, actually refines the edge to it's ultimate sharpness (the sweet spot) and then polishes the edge. With other stones with only water, they offer no edge refinement (or so little it is negligible) and merely polishing. So you must first get them to their sweet spot, which might be with a light slurry, and then move onto the water only stage.
Indeed. As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure you would need to continue progressing to water only after hitting the limit. I always do, but maybe should do a few experiments to see if that is really necessary.
[warn]Please beware that I am talking about the Diluct method in the last few posts. When using a Coticule to finish an edge coming off some high-grit synthetic, entirely different rules apply. The Coticule with water is generally more than capable eating the peaks of the scratch patterns left by such hones. When doing Dilucot, it's not about scratch patterns of a previous hone, but about chasing keenness.[/warn]
justin said:
So for example, one of those La veinette's sweet spot is probably somewhere with a medium-light slurry, since they are so sharp coming off the slurry. At which point you just wash the stone off and move on to just water.
Just listen to the sound, and pay attention to what you feel in the fingers that hold the razor (It really pays to adopt a single handed honing technique). You really can feel the hone slowing down while you thin out the slurry. The slower it goes, the finer it can define the very edge.
With the Dilucot method, expect to do many laps.
justin said:
Sorry, I'm new to honing in general, so I'm just trying to get a grasp on what's going on.

Thanks,
Justin
No need to apologize. Coticule.be exists to help people out with mastering their whetstone.
Cheers,
Bart.

Back