ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

my new coticule

tazzbaby

hi guys i have have been lurking in the shadows for a while and reading up on these great stones.and i decided to bite the bullit and get one :) :) any advice on it would be great as am no sure were to start of with this beast :lol: as i have only ever used my other hone for touch ups but have heard these lovely stones give a great edge and it solves the problems of buying all these other stones when this one does it all for you thanks guys for any info you could give
kind regards jason

IMAG0054.png

IMAG0055.png

IMAG0058.png

IMAG0057.png

IMAG0056.png

Well come jason
It is a beatifull coticule.So proceed with a dilucot method letting us know.
Best regards
Emmanuel

will it be easy enough to do as this stone is a strange shape and it seem to run at a slope as if you was walking up a hill is this normal

That IS a nice bout, jazz :thumbup:
Please make some side shots too for easier identification.

Cheers
BlueDun

It's a La Dressante and probably somewhat average to fast (relative to other coticules) in terms of speed. I imagine it is also a fairly hard stone (though not the hardest).

I have a bout that looks identical. Thanks for the ID Jared now I know what I have. Mine is fast it will turn the slurry dark relatively quickly, 100x faster than my La Grise:D It also has a chalky like feel to when honing. I love the speed it has. Nice stone!:thumbup:

Nice Rock, Tazz.

I got a LPB that is similar size/shape. I find the shape quite versatile, having narrow sections for any blade warpage, and the apex allows a 45 deg. x-stroke to be initiated w/ full edge contact along the long length.

I'm a noob too, so I don't have skilled perspective on how to learn. I have found that although my LPB will set a bevel, it's not as efficient as other methods. Once the bevel is set, my rock takes carbon and stainless blade past the equivalent 8k level faster than any combination of stones I've used. It's worth it for that alone. I'm still struggling to get the fine finishes of a jnat with the stone, but that's just my skill level for now.

Beautiful stone there Tazz
I thank you for sharing, and look forward to hearing how it goes for you

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

bluemantra: Yup, same stone. They have an interesting abrasive feedback on water and are reasonable fast (at least mine is).

danjared said:
bluemantra: Yup, same stone. They have an interesting abrasive feedback on water and are reasonable fast (at least mine is).

Yes it does feel quite different than my La Grise. Almost chalk like. It is lightning fast compared to my La Grise.

hi guys how are we all. i have been using the Unicot method on a few razors i have had i have had not bad results of it but now am struggling with setting the bevel its strange cause i go threw the exact method to the letter my first try i popped the hht easy in he middle but not near the heel or toe and it frustrating so i left it for a while then went back to it to day and am still struggling to set a bevel after the 20x30 half x strokes it still feels like a butter knife any help from use guys would be great thanks in advance.

Could you tell us something about the razor you're honing. Was it shaving well previously, or have you bought it completely dull at an antique shop, or yet another storry? I ask, because the condition of the razor has a great influence on the work needed during the bevel correction stage. But it is also possible that you're doing something wrong, and then it would be bad advice to encourage you to keep on going.

At any rate, don't be tempted to use too thick slurry. Anything thicker won't necessarily move steel faster, but it will introduce some serious slurry-dulling.

Kind regards,
Bart

hi its a famex 5/8 and was shaving great before i blunt it to try my new toy lol now its not shaving at all it was honed for me by neil miller at the strop shop and has been a great razor and was wicked sharp up till now am just not sure were am going wrong

Back