ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

n°29, n°32, n°34, n°35, n°36, n°37 and n°38

Wow! we autoclave and I handmake tattoo machines, all our needles are single use though. I have a friend who Tattoo's and builds machines in NZ as well! its a small world innit...lol can you remember the guys name??

Nice small world indeed!

I sure do remember: Turumakina Duleyz.

Great guy, lovely family.

Lucky for me he had a 7-needle gun for my work :w00t:

Should anyone backout ....I`m interrested Sir Bart.
And we all should keep our word...that is very much the essence of Sir Barts site..

Thanks gents

jonnyangel said:
I haven't heard from the mine. I hope I didn't lose my stone.....:cry:

They said something about sending it to me, but making you pay for it :O ... I hope it works out :D

Hi all, I'd really like to get a coticule from the vault, I'm very close to ordering a regular stone from coticule.de, I'd like to save some money and get a bout, but I want a razor friendly shape. in a combo perhaps, is that possible? I have an old barber coticule I found in the basement here where I live it's 11cm x 50cm unfortunately one end on;y has about 4 mm of coticule left on the slate :( I need a new thick one

Vektor67 said:
Hi all, I'd really like to get a coticule from the vault, I'm very close to ordering a regular stone from coticule.de, I'd like to save some money and get a bout, but I want a razor friendly shape. in a combo perhaps, is that possible? I have an old barber coticule I found in the basement here where I live it's 11cm x 50cm unfortunately one end on;y has about 4 mm of coticule left on the slate :( I need a new thick one
11cm x 50cm... that's a HUGE stone...
Or is that millimeters?... in that case it would be very small one indeed... probably a rubbing stone.

A barber size hone would be about 5cm x 10cm

Smythe said:
Vektor67 said:
11cm x 50cm... that's a HUGE stone...
Or is that millimeters?... in that case it would be very small one indeed... probably a rubbing stone.

A barber size hone would be about 5cm x 10cm

I think we can assume its 11cm by 5cm? like 4"X2" either that or it belongs above some fireplace somewhere..lol

Joyous occasions!!

I went downstairs to find a familiar looking package on the kitchen table. As I approach I notice the nice big label "Ardennes" - Number 29 has arrived! :rolleyes:

I havent had a chance to test her out properly yet. Its going to be used on a restore I'm working on. I've made some oak scales and fitted them (VERY successfully) on my George Butler & co "Shakespeare" razor. But I've also sanded the blade and am polishing it up (which takes quite a while by hand!, and the heel end of the blade is very thick atm due to the need to breadknife out a nasty almost notch like thing in the edge near the heel. So I guess I should sand down the thickness of this part of the blade - then take it to #29 properly.

Its a sweet feeling stone, much more feedback than on my bout I bought straight from Ardennes. Its also MUCH thicker. The BBW side of 29 is thicker than my entire combo from Ardennes! And the Coticule layer of 29 is mostly double the thickness of the coticule on my bout - this one is going to last an aaaaaage :thumbup:

I was also shocked with how fast it arrived, as Rob only posted it 4 days ago.

Im very happy with this purchase - thank you ever so much Bart :)

#34 landed in the land of fruits and nuts today, and she's a beauty. :love:

Thanks to Bart and Ardennes for making it all possible! :thumbup:

Im having lots of trouble keeping the slurry on #29. It drips over the sides during the stroke! Also, a lot of slurry builds up on the razor - so I have to touch the toe end of the spine on the hone to drain the slurry off the razor at the end of each stroke - making it MUCH slower.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the slurry on the hone/more efficient way of getting it off the razor?

Thanks!

James i have a similar size to you infact it the same. mine is even narrower athe very end.

You will get used to it. You will loose some slurry over the sides. One thing i would do , well i do is stop before the end . then your not pushing slurry of the top and bottom. I would'nt worry about the slurry build up on to your razor. As you dilute this will end up on the hone.

I take it this is happening when your reseting the bevel with back and forth strokes? What are doing dilucot or unicot ? If your doing dilucot just keep going there will be enought slurry on the hone to get a good edge. I just set bevels on my biger coti finished on dilucot. Then i did 50 laps on my narrow one with water as i find it gives a smoother edge. And it seems to improve my hht test in some cases. that all i can say realy. somtimes i set bevel on fast coti to speed things up. I then swithch to narrow hone create a milky slurry and proceed with dilucot this gives me realy good edge every time.

towliff said:
Im having lots of trouble keeping the slurry on #29. It drips over the sides during the stroke! Also, a lot of slurry builds up on the razor - so I have to touch the toe end of the spine on the hone to drain the slurry off the razor at the end of each stroke - making it MUCH slower.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the slurry on the hone/more efficient way of getting it off the razor?

Thanks!
I think you worry too much about it. You don't need a lot of slurry on the hone. What runs off, runs off. You only need a very thin coat between the edge and the surface of the Coticule.
When your X-stroke arrives at the end, you need to make a lateral movement to get the heel back on the hone. This motion must be used to put the spine behind the bead of slurry. In away the spine acts as a squeegee that drags the slurry to the other side, leaving just the thin coat behind that's needed for the next passage.

I never bother with draining slurry off the razor back on the hone.
You could check the Unicot video. That Coticule is almost the same size as your n°29.

Best regards,
Bart.

You guys are KILLING me. I am still waiting for Portland, ME waiting for mine. Bart, does coticule go better with a Lambic or a Duvel?

jonnyangel said:
You guys are KILLING me. I am still waiting for Portland, ME waiting for mine. Bart, does coticule go better with a Lambic or a Duvel?
:D You should drink the beer, not pour it on the Coticule. You only get a smoother edge with Highland Park whiskey on the hone, not with beer.

For pre-dulling the edge, Duvel and any Lambic-based beer bottles are all equally sufficient.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back