ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

nakayama honing for bart..and jnat friends

stalker

hello, bart i m honing with nakayama asagi and i think that i have the same problem that you mention here : " if i allow the slurry to become dry and pastelike the edge will dull beyond the capabilities of the refined slurry"..if i have understand correctly i have the similar problem :

when i hone on nakayama i make a milky slurry until the razor pass the HHT very well, after that in the final polishing stage i hone until the slurry become paste like or dry but i had a big surprise!: NOW THE HHT IS NOT THE SAME! the edge seems to be dulled!

do you maintain the consistency of the slurry (add a drop of water) to avoid the "paste like" consistency???

thanks

The easiest results I get on my Nakayama is when I raise a slurry with the consistency of coffee-milk. That I use to do the bevel correction, while I keep it at the same consistency with adding an occasional drop of water, without allowing it to become thiner. The slurry will turn completely dark and dirty. That's all right.
When the bevel is good, I put away the razor for a while. I take a cabinet scraper, but the round shaft of a screw driver will work as well, and use that to give the slurry a good work-out. The idea is to crush the particles so that they break down into finer ones. During that stage it is important to allow the slurry to become all dry and grainy. At that point stay at it for a while longer. When you think it's enough, add a few drops of water to reach milk-like consistency. Grab the razor and finish the edge, with a few sets of halfstokes and finally 50 X-strokes. There's no need to do any dilution. I rather let the slurry become a little more creamy than making it thinner.

That works well on my Nakayama. I have done it without the intermediate slurry breakdown step, trying to get the breakdown during the honing process. It works, but definitely takes practice and experience before I'm going to be able to get consistently good results. With the separate slurry breakdown step, I have repeatedly been able to match my best results.

But the guy you really want to talk to when it comes to Japanese hones and their use, is JimR. He's our resident expert on the matter.

Kind regards,
Bart.

stalker said:
hello, bart i m honing with nakayama asagi and i think that i have the same problem that you mention here : " if i allow the slurry to become dry and pastelike the edge will dull beyond the capabilities of the refined slurry"..if i have understand correctly i have the similar problem :

when i hone on nakayama i make a milky slurry until the razor pass the HHT very well, after that in the final polishing stage i hone until the slurry become paste like or dry but i had a big surprise!: NOW THE HHT IS NOT THE SAME! the edge seems to be dulled!

do you maintain the consistency of the slurry (add a drop of water) to avoid the "paste like" consistency???

thanks
I use my Jnats as finishing hones, not to set bevel. When you're honing on fresh slurry, you're sharpening. As you continue to hone and work the slurry down toward a paste, the particles are breaking down and at that point, you're doing more polishing than anything. I guess the trick is to evaluate the edge at each step and decide whether you want to continue honing on fresh (refreshed) slurry for keeness, or to stay with the paste for final polish.

All other things equal, the slurry off your Asagi - pasty or fresh - shouldn't be dulling your edge like overhoning on garnet slurry.

Crap. Duplicate. Sorry....

FWIW - This has happened a couple of times. I frequently submit a response or something, and it doesn't post, but rather it comes back with 'Internal Server Error'. I try to resubmit and get the dupe. What's a girl to do???? (yeah - don't resubmit, I know....):confused:

Daniele, Woodash is correct--you have to refresh your slurry.

Also, do you clean the edge before you do HHT? One or two strops on your jeans or anything will do it. Small amounts of slurry build up on the edge and need to be cleaned off before you do any edge tests.

yes i remove the burr on palm of my hand, i think that the problem is the pressure..i ll try...

stalker said:
yes i remove the burr on palm of my hand, i think that the problem is the pressure..i ll try...
I am sure this is a typo but you do not want to raise any burs on a razor.
As far as honing routine, have you tried to do one dilution only?
Raise slurry work it then start diluting and finish with a few passes on water only?

generally on jnat stone i made this:

raise a milky like slurry with honzan nagura and hone until the razor pass a good hht3-4 (but i have a thick long hair) after that i stop and strop with 50 passes on water.. the results is very very good..

now i m experimenting the slurry breakdown tecnique and seems to be release a good smoother edge for my taste, when use this tecnique i make in the first stage the same as above, but when the razor pass the hht 4 i hone until the slurry became very paste like (i don't check the color of the slurry generally is mid gray and not so dark)...but i think that is good..

the color of the slurry as signal of degradation is so important? or the paste consistency?

Back