ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

new escher

danjared said:
Reading this thread makes me want to sell my Thuringians!

That is of course your decision, but it certainly is not the intention of this website to impair all other hones in favor of Coticules.
Our main mission statement is to help people that own a Coticule and want to get the best out of it, and to refine the knowledge about these hones.
It would be unfair to spend 3 years investigating Coticules, and one evening trying an Escher, and then simply state that the Escher did not provide the same level of comfort and keenness. After 3 years, my shaving habits are completely tuned in with a Coticule honed edge. And so are my sharpening habits and experience.

Instead of making an impossible comparison between both types of hones, we would better be hosting a thread with practical information on the use Thuringians. We have such a thread about Japanese Natural hones (started by JimR), and I believe many readers found priceless help in it.

I hope we can perhaps do the same for Eschers and Thuringian hones, and exceed the shortsighted discussion about which one is "best".

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
danjared said:
Reading this thread makes me want to sell my Thuringians!

That is of course your decision, but it certainly is not the intention of this website to impair all other hones in favor of Coticules.
Our main mission statement is to help people that own a Coticule and want to get the best out of it, and to refine the knowledge about these hones.
It would be unfair to spend 3 years investigating Coticules, and one evening trying an Escher, and then simply state that the Escher did not provide the same level of comfort and keenness. After 3 years, my shaving habits are completely tuned in with a Coticule honed edge. And so are my sharpening habits and experience.

Instead of making an impossible comparison between both types of hones, we would better be hosting a thread with practical information on the use Thuringians. We have such a thread about Japanese Natural hones (started by JimR), and I believe many readers found priceless help in it.

I hope we can perhaps do the same for Eschers and Thuringian hones, and exceed the shortsighted discussion about which one is "best".

Kind regards,
Bart.

Well stated. I should have given my reason. I like how versatile coticules are. That fits my expectations of hones more. That said, I like how my Thuringian hones (now only two MST cuts as my vintage one is now with Yohann) function. I'm holding out on selling at least the largest one until I have given it more time. (For what it's worth, I've had that one for almost a year.) My skills are still maturing at a fast rate, so I expect it will be a while before I actually decide.

I like my thurry a lot, but to be honest when it comes time to polish I almost 9 times out of ten hit the coticule. It's not that I don't like the Thurry, but ever since I started honing I always wanted one. When I found mine I jumped for joy and started testing it. I think it works great and with slurry kind of works like a BBW, but in the end I finish on a coticule.

My hopes and dreams for perfect honing are still far away! If your honing is not up to snuff these WILL NOT HELP. You can unicot them easily, but it works best to start the micro bevel on a faster hone. I also disagree with the polish being 12k, I would rate it about the same as a norton 8k maybe a little better. This is my experience with my stone, so take that for what its worth :D

I have a MST thuringian and I would rate it darn close to the same as my vintage. It could be that I got a kick-ass MST and a horrible thurry, or that I don't know how to use either of them, but I doubt it is that extreme!

I'm not meaning to sit here and bash these things, just my experiences with them have ended up seeming that way when summarized. I probably won't sell mine unless I get one of a larger size. They are really fun to play with. I am interested in hearing how you honers progress to and then use the escher to finish. I like to finish on water then 10-15 laps dry.

MrMaroon

My personal opinion is that a finishing hone will only work if your razor is perfectly sharp of your last hone, only then you will feel the differance. i would finish on 8k n which btw is a nice shave. then i would use my coti for 50 laps on water. then shave and boy was there a big noticable differance. the shave was just smoother.

I've been honing a kropp for a chap. the sahve of my coti just was'nt as smooth as i no it should be. the hht was ok of the hone not so good at the heal. I gave it another rehone this morning , especialy as i'm sure there are two very small minute chips. Or i'm not sure if its a pit on the bevel as there are little black pits here and there. I realy took my time. And i reset the bevel on my fast coti with perfect strokes. This time i kept hone flat on my stand and i guided the blade with my index finger using a slight roll. I then reverted to dilucot ,holding the hone using the new method . the HHT is for sure A1 all the way from heal to toe . I would give it a 4 on not that thicker hair.

Where i went wrong was i rushed this razor i was missing the heal more times than not. I'm sure the bevel was set but not as well and even as it could be. It's frustrating when it does'nt work . But its great when it does.

Same goes for all hones

Back