ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Not a thing to do with razors

tat2Ralfy

But its what I do when not honing shaving restoring etc etc etc...

This one is a present for our own Mr Liam, he just finished his 3 year apprenticeship with us, and the poor fucker has had a heart attack, dodgy ticker for ever now, and he is only 24 years old.

All handmade, all by me, apart from the coin, and brass screws and washers
Thanks for taking the time to look
Best wishes
Ralfson (Dr)

Photo1279.jpg

Photo1281.jpg

Photo1282.jpg

Photo1280.jpg

Photo1284.jpg

Photo1280.jpg

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nice coffee bean grinder! (that's what it is, isn't it?)

I may not be familiar with it, but it's absolutely breathtaking... As Bart would suggest, it looks like something from a Jules Verne movie.

Maybe you should try your hand at making/designing razors:thumbup: .

Thanks Guys (I think :blink: )..lol

It is of course a handmade vintage style Tattoo Machine (But you knew that already)
I wouldnt know where ever to begin when it came to razors, you have all seen my humble restoration and rescale attempts, and thats as far as I feel I could go.

Many thanks again
Ralfson (Dr)

Ralfy, how did you make the frame? I am just guessing as to its name. The brass part that has that coin locking mechanism? That is very nice work! I always wish I had the option to put some of my own ideas into things I make. Unfortunatly in industry you make what the print says and thats it. It looks like you spent a lot of time and it looks very well done!

good job man,
mrmaroon

Thank you, this is based an a 1930's design by Percy Waters, its a Model A. but a mini one, the originals are bigger with different geometry and used as shaders/color machines, this is a liner.

I make the frames from flat brass and silver solder the parts together, this one is made from 4 parts, the base is hand cut then milled, the side, rear upright and spring shelf (back bit that the err spring screws down onto) are hand cut and finished. the frame is then pinned together with brass rod before being soldered.

I also do them in steel and mig the frames together

Thanks again
Ralfson (Dr)

Model makers stuff really, both centre lathe and vertical mill, made in the good old U.S. of China
Consider that a tattoo machine like this fits the palm of your hand, I dont need anything heavier

Best wishes Ralfson

You are truly one of a kind, Ralfson.
I am awaiting the day you'll start to make frameback razors...;)

Kind regards,
Bart.

Thats what I was thinking, a frameback would probably be easier than any other type. Me and a friend have been machining some test razors and when I brought up the idea he didn't like it! He's still a beginner shaver though, doesn't deviate from the 5/8 round point. I bet you c ould make one ralfy.

mrmaroon

You could try to get in touch with SRP-member Spazola. He build some amazing framebacks, mostly with aid of a few simple tools and a number of ingenious jigs. I believe he used an old Sandvik saw blade as blank for the razor blade.
Here's picture form his website:
frame2big1.jpg

And a link to the website: http://www.lewisrazors.com/galleryhome.html, with how-to section.

Now, I completely ran you out of excuses, doctor Ralfson. :rolleyes:

Bart.

Bart said:
Now, I completely ran you out of excuses, doctor Ralfson. :rolleyes: Bart.

I sit here like this: :O only my mouth is open a lot wider and so are my eyes......

And fuck me Bart Your right :blink:

Many Thanks My Friend (I Think?..lol)

Oh mine! The razors, the how-to section, scales and everything, holy crap!

Big thank you for this.

regards,
Matt

Yes please, I'd like a vintage pin-up ala Betty Page on my forearm. Thanks!

I can only see one thing lacking here...the rubber band. I'm yet to get tattooed without that rubber band around the top.

Otherwise?
I'm just awestruck that someone actually can build a tattoo-machine by hand :w00t:

Jens said:
Yes please, I'd like a vintage pin-up ala Betty Page on my forearm. Thanks!

I can only see one thing lacking here...the rubber band. I'm yet to get tattooed without that rubber band around the top.

Otherwise?
I'm just awestruck that someone actually can build a tattoo-machine by hand :w00t:

Thank you Jens, we still use the bands, I hadnt ran this puppy in (yes they get ran in, 6-8 hrs hanging in the workshop running hard) so no bands, and they spoil the shot too..lol

I belong to a small group of Artisans that hand make these, its a dying craft I am afraid, with mass production and inferior imports etc etc. Back in the day tattoo machines were not commercially available, so Tattooers had to make there own, the design still reflects those days, with the twin coil set up, its actually based on early electric door bells, I have one at the studio its a 1938 model and still works, its mounted and wired above the work room door, we call it "the twat bell" I hook up and ring it when I can hear the front of house having to deal with stupid clients..lol

Anyway, for you and anyone else that might be interested heres a link to a few others I made, starting with my first "#1" based on a 1930's "Jonesy"

http://tat2ralfy.u.yuku.com/album/view/aid/9094

Many thanks again
Ralfson (Dr)

My turn.

A few days ago, I promised Stewart to show some pictures of a table I've been building.
It's a project that had been on the back burner for years, but catapulted to the top of my priorities list by She Who Must Be Obeyed, 2 weeks ago. I bet you guys know what it's like. :rolleyes:

The table is build from oak railway beams, that I re-sawed into 60X190 and 30X190 stock. The construction is assembled with mortise and tenon joints, secured with wooden nails. There is not a drop of glue used for building this table. Not a single metal screw or nail either. It has currently one coat of lineseed oil mixed with a part of urethane varnish. Second (final) coat in the morning, and then I can go back to work on Robin's Shaving Cabinet.

I still need to make the blocks to fit underneath the rounded "feet" of the table. I am thinking to have 30mm BBW building blocks cut by Ardennes. That way the table is protected from water when cleaning the floor.

Feel free to comment.
Thanks for watching,
Bart.

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

A dual purpose table - brilliant! Even without the BBW feet, it is a very, very beautiful table! :thumbup:

What a nice table!! You are definately a Master Craftsman.

One other possibility for feet is to make them out of the same wood only have the end grain going up and down. Then soak them in a mixture of 50% linseed oil and 50% turpentine. The feet would be totally waterproof then.

I want to see the photo's of the soccer team picking that table up and moving it!

Great work!!!

Ray

Back