ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

OCtober 2019

gvw755

I decided to make OCtober it's own thread for the three of us participating (and others that are totally invited to join in at any time). Even though this is still September, I am expecting my Paradigm Diamondback to arrive some time during October and so wanted to free up one day for that. So I officially kicked off OCtober today.

As most other special shaving months I have participated in, I have foregone the staged pics and just do a pic of the razor and talk a little of it. Today is the Gillette Pocket Edition, which was a very high class specialty version of the thin cap Old Type. This razor has tremendous blade feel, but a very efficient shave. I culd have gotten away with a one pass plus touch up DFS, but went for a two pass minimal touch up BBS (why waste good soap). daumenh!

a 30 pocket.JPG

Razor: Timeless Ti 0.95 OC (1)
Blade: Hema (1)
Pre-Shave: Prep Cream
Soap: Tabac Shaving Stick
Brush: AP Shave CO 24mm Synbad Winter handle
Aftershave: Physalis Hamameliswater
Aftershave: Tabac Aftershave lotion
Aftershave: Tabac Aftershave Balsem
EDT: Tabac

First day of OCtober/Tabactober

• Joris/Plison OC
  • Polsilver Super Iridium (6)
  • DScosmetic 26mm Synthetic
  • Stirling - Gentleman
  • Mühle Alum
  • Van der Lovett - AS Balm Sailors Blend
  • Irish Moos - Aftershave
  • Irish Moos - EdT
Quite the handfull this Open Comb monster, any second of concentration loss will lead to bloodletting. It does give a 12 hr no stubble shave, but not a nice one. It has gotten better over the frequent uses, but it still is not a razor i love.
I do like the Gentleman by Stirling, a restrained scent, but a keeper i think.

No blade in the razor anymore on the photo, 6 times was it for the Polsilver in the Joris.

IMG_20191001_104558.jpg

7B70C4F5-6F46-486E-9AAC-73C1134B286E.jpeg

Pre-shave: American Crew oil
Shaving Soap / Cream: Tabac
After Shave : Tabac
After Shave Balm: Tabac
Eau de Toilette: Tabac
Shower Gel: Tabac

Shaving Brush: Yagi 26 mm. Tuxedo syntheet
Safety Razor: Charcoal Level 1
Razor Blade: Gillette Permasharp (2x)

So we go straight for the full pound or both an open comb razor and the Tabac line.

It is Tuesday and so I shave with a slant. Another beautiful razor, this time from the other end of the pond.

Valencia three piece slant razor. Not only my most beautiful slant, but an excellent shaver. Another two pass plus minimal touch up BBS tonight, but not as rough as last night's Gillette.

1 valencia.JPG

Razor: Timeless Ti 0.95 OC (2)
Blade: Hema (2)
Brush: AP Shave CO 24mm Synbad Winter handle

Dag/Day/Tag (2) OCtober/Tabactober

767D3596-A6C9-4F5B-BB76-9DF001CFEDB1.jpeg

Pre-shave: None
Shaving Soap / Cream: Tabac Shaving Stick
After Shave : Tabac
After Shave Balm: Tabac
Eau de Toilette: Tabac

Shaving Brush: Shavemac 24 mm. Silvertip 2 band.
Safety Razor: Charcoal Level 1
Razor Blade: Gillette Permasharp (3x)

Tonight's shave was with my vintage Emir Dual Comb, so in keeping with OCtober, I shaved with just one side of my razor. This razor is what Ikon cloned with their Shavecraft 101 (which I prefer more). The shave took a little longer because I had to rinse more and this razor is a very mild shaver. Took me close to three full passes to achieve a BBS. Still a nice looking razor.
2 emir 2.JPG
2 emir 1.JPG

Razor: Timeless Ti 0.95 OC (3)
Blade: Hema (3)
Brush: AP Shave CO 28mm Silksmoke Winter handle

Dag/Day/Tag (3) OCtober/Tabactober

2744BCAD-A7A2-4CA8-9547-8941F7E5B5B2.jpeg

Pre-shave: Vitos Menthol
Shaving Soap / Cream: Soap Smooth Frozen Cranberry
After Shave : Extro Arancia Italiana
Eau de Toilette: Extro Arancia Italiana

Shaving Brush: Yagi 30 mm. Tuxedo syntheet

Safety Razor: Charcoal Level
Razor Blade: Gillette Permasharp (4x)

Shavette: Feather Professional Artist Club DX
Razor Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild SE

If you're looking for a shaving soap that actually smells of fruit, then the Frozen Cranberry is highly recommended and it's also provided with the necessary menthol, which is doubly tasty. goodjob!

The Feather DX was allowed to take care of the first course and the finishing touches today. And despite or thanks to the fact that I hadn't handled it for a while, only a small blood point on the upper lip.

Tonight I continue with my vintage Gillettes. The Gillette New had many variants, however this was a strange one - New Round Pin. :confused

This was a Made in England New and instead of having a bar to align the blade like the rest of the New did, it went back to the two round pins like the original Gillettes. I have no idea why this was done, but it is a fairly decent shaver. Much better than the original Long Comb made in the USA and almost as efficient as the Flat Bottom (also Made in England).

3 rp.JPG

Razor: Timeless Ti 0.95 OC (4)
Blade: Hema (4)
Brush: AP Shave CO 28mm Silksmoke Winter handle

Dag/Day/Tag )4) OCtober/Tabactober

From yesterday, as the day ran away from me..

• Gillette Aristocrat Open Comb
  • Polsilver Super Iridium (2)
  • DScosmetic marbled 30mm Synthetic
  • Stirling - Gentleman
  • Stirling - Agar AS Balm
  • Loris - AOud Cafè
The Gillette is an amazing efficient shaver, 2 rounds and a wee touch-up to fix that pesky spot, and BBS. It is just a tad to rough to call it a DFS, but it is close.
The DScosmetic is a real performer, great lather created, and soft as you can like while applying it.
The Gentleman is a nice smell, a bit fruity but to the pomegranate side of citrus, a shame it is such a restrained one, it could have done with some more Umph.
The balm is nice the smell -- undecided as of yet, the AOud blew it far away anyhow.
IMG_20191003_152904.jpg

I am jealous. :sabber1

This Aristocrat eluded me so many times.
Would you believe it was a random find while going about a brocante market looking for a soap dish with art deco designs (never found one), i did not even know what i had until i was home, just a random Gillette razor in a box with two silver plated used razor holders and the baseplate of an Old Type, picked it up out of principle, decided 15 Euro was the max, he asked 10 Euro, done deal.
I was dead on my feet and wanted to quit, but decided to still go over a few more stalls, this was the last of them, bloody lucky ;-)
Had i looked more carefully i would have gone up to max 50 Euro, as they are high flyers on Ebay .(you do not know what state it is in.)

Back