ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

OMFG!!!

wdwrx

OK... now I see why everyone likes their Les Latneuses so freakin' much! It's like honing on velvet. The feed back is so incredibly smooth and.... profound and pronounced.
Denny's sent me a little slip of the stuff, just 'cuz he's such a nice guy, and I couldn't resist hitting it with about 3 different razors.
I'm getting some pretty good HHT readings off the hybrid side, 3-ish or better off the stone and close to a HHT5 after stropping.
I had a couple other razors set aside for tonight's shave, but I think I'l have to give these Les Lat finished blades a whirl instead.
Christ, Denny, I'm really in your debt now. Thank you very much!

"little slip"? Has he been at it with the tile saw again? What the dimensions of the slip? (Actually, I have a Les Latneuses bout that I'm still thinking about cutting.)

I should start thinking out loud about the veins I want to try that he has. :p

It's fairly small, but certainly large enough to do nice dilutions on. It's 10mm at one end, 25 at the other and 120+mm long. It's helped to tighten up my technique a bit as I've never honed on a narrow stone.

That Dennis ... I've asked him three times for his PayPal and he keeps ignoring me when I ask. We've become pretty good friends, so I'm not sweating it too much; Karma works both ways, but it's pretty tough to think of ways to repay that type of kindness when we are all so far removed from one and another. Maybe one day he'll just jet in to Armpit, Alberta, and I can at least buy him dinner. I've got something cooking though, if the weather would just let up enough that I could have a hope of heating the work-shop.

In all honesty though, I've been really amazed by the generosity and kindness of a whole bunch of guys that I've "met" here. I never for a moment believed that I'd develop real friendships as I have when I found these forums (this one in particular).

Wow! great stuff. I've always been very very curious about that veine. It certainly is a beautiful looking stone. If you ever get tired of it...you should send it to your fellow canadian for further testing!! :p

FxObhCABwYtlun3Dg5JdBIBAv_WcmGzttIs1KA8rSSIdP1Jnhw.jpg

Paul: Ha!

Chris: You're right, though. I didn't mention it, but Dennis sent me a wonderful Genco razor. I don't know what he did (or if I should give the razor the credit?), but he put a wicked edge on it. You've got to watch out with that guy. I'm almost convinced that he actually flies reindeer and not 747's.

I've always liked my les lat hybrid side. I think it was one of the best hht of the hone i ever acheived.

dennis is very nice guy. he also gave me a 100x30 la verte. also a very nice Fridour razor . There are some great guys on this forum. I would say any one wanting to improve there stroke the small hone is ideal. In actaul fact i have had great results of my small la verte. Seems like size does'nt matter.

Gary

Embarrassing. Enough. Each one of those that received something from me has given as much or more. From strops and homemade dressing, to multiple razors and blades, to the selection of a narrow coticule a third of the way around the world, or the sale of items at a quarter of their value, to stones my girlfriend thinks are my prettiest,.....I could go on. It ain't just me, it's Coticule.be.....Tom Waits.

This forum is definitely like a big family. Unlike other forums, we don't only share the love of SR shaving, but we have the extra bond of loving coticules.

DJKELLY said:
Embarrassing. Enough. Each one of those that received something from me has given as much or more. From strops and homemade dressing, to multiple razors and blades, to the selection of a narrow coticule a third of the way around the world, or the sale of items at a quarter of their value, to stones my girlfriend thinks are my prettiest,.....I could go on. It ain't just me, it's Coticule.be.....Tom Waits.

Can we call you Santa anyway?

I love that about coticule.be, its the friendliest place. I think its because we all share a similar passion, and just want to share it with everyone around us.

It wasn't too long ago that Gary lent me his TI paddle strop, and offered to let me keep it (I thought it was too much a gift, and so politely declined - it didn't feel right to accept such a valuable gift). I was astounded by his generosity, which I have come to realise and love, is something in abundance amongst the members of this forum. Thank you Gary and everyone here :thumbup:

Infact, this is the only forum I frequent. I may look at SRP sometimes for info about a strop, maybe even post on the rare occasion (usually in the strop section - as everything about strops and stropping is my favourite part of the shaving experience, hence why I've been eyeballing those lovely Kanayamas but feel the need for the 8000 as its the crown jewel)).

Anyhoo, Ive gone a bit off topic....where are all those les latneuses hiding?

towliff said:
I love that about coticule.be, its the friendliest place. I think its because we all share a similar passion, and just want to share it with everyone around us.

It wasn't too long ago that Gary lent me his TI paddle strop, and offered to let me keep it (I thought it was too much a gift, and so politely declined - it didn't feel right to accept such a valuable gift). I was astounded by his generosity, which I have come to realise and love, is something in abundance amongst the members of this forum. Thank you Gary and everyone here :thumbup:

Infact, this is the only forum I frequent. I may look at SRP sometimes for info about a strop, maybe even post on the rare occasion (usually in the strop section - as everything about strops and stropping is my favourite part of the shaving experience, hence why I've been eyeballing those lovely Kanayamas but feel the need for the 8000 as its the crown jewel)).

Anyhoo, Ive gone a bit off topic....where are all those les latneuses hiding?

No problem james.

cheers gary

Finally got to a computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL4L4Uv5rf0

Seriously though I really enjoy the dynamics on this forum and appreciate all the knowledge I have received. Both Chris and Denny are great guys and I appreciate them both as well as many others on here (even if I don't get a motorcycle).

As for the stone I really have been think about trying a sliver of a stone to work on my technique a little. I almost asked for such from Bart on his trip, but felt that would be better spent on other people. I was initially thinking of a fast stone like a les latneuses, but now am thinking it may be better to go with something that would be a little slower since it is for the learning process. I would also use it if I were to travel for any length of time or while I take a fishing sabbatical. If you were to use a stone for this purpose what size would you recommend? And for that matter what vein?

Sliver is a little bit of a misnomer for Chris' stone. He had mentioned needed something in the range of a slip stone for woodworking tool maintenance, so I cut a 45mm wide bout on a bit of a diagonal so he could get it into smaller applications. On one end, it is probably a bit over an inch wide and half that at the other. I would imagine (I'm on the road) it is about 3.5 inches long.

I would suggest a stone as wide as a razor box or so and just long enough to do safe half strokes. Gary can attest to the efficiency of that small a stone. I have several stones I am thinking about cutting down and will send you one. It is really not a problem and certainly cheaper than a motorcycle. I don't know which layer, probably a la dressante, but it will be great for travel and practice. I think a narrow hone has several advantages over a wider one, and wide ones have some, too. I almost always finish on a narrow Les Latneuses. Send over your address, Gman. Denny

Thanks Denny, Email sent.
I have been thinking about this for a while, but have yet to be able to take my les latneuses to a tile saw. She's my baby:love:

deighaingeal said:
Thanks Denny, Email sent.
I have been thinking about this for a while, but have yet to be able to take my les latneuses to a tile saw. She's my baby:love:

You're not the only one!

Back