ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Quote from NassRasur

Gunner777

Ok get ready to be fired up:)

The Belgian stone, also called the Belgian Old Rock, used to be a superb natural hone for razor sharpening. It is used dry, with water or with oil, and has been the standard razor hone for centuries. It is still quarried in Belgium, in the caves around Liege, but due to some earthquakes the production process has been delayed. However, the best stones are already gone, and it is getting increasingly difficult to acquire modern ones with the same quality as those from the previous century. Therefore, due to irregularities, all present natural stones carry a considerable risk of damaging the edge of the razor.

Common sense should tell anyone that reads that that just because the stones were most accessible and first to be mined would make absolutely no difference in the quality, everything else being equal.
I'm new to sharpening on natural stones, and even I can figure that one out!

BlacknTan said:
Common sense should tell anyone that reads that that just because the stones were most accessible and first to be mined would make absolutely no difference in the quality, everything else being equal.

You're assuming the use of common sense.

..."but due to some earthquakes the production process has been delayed."

Is there any truth in this statement?

Gunner777 said:
the best stones are already gone, and it is getting increasingly difficult to acquire modern ones with the same quality as those from the previous century. Therefore, due to irregularities, all present natural stones carry a considerable risk of damaging the edge of the razor.

Wow what a bunch of lucky guys we are :thumbup: what with this and and the 3 in 100 ratio we all should enter the lottery or something, I have 4 and they all do a great job, I must be truly blessed

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

RicTic said:
..."but due to some earthquakes the production process has been delayed."

from what I know we don't or rarely have earthquakes ant when we have they are very quiet

cheers
Stijn

Rictic said:
I remind a small earthquake in the last century (1995?, epicentre La Louvière Belgium), which woke me during the night

chti_lolo said:
Rictic said:
I remind a small earthquake in the last century (1995?, epicentre La Louvière Belgium), which woke me during the night
yes that one it wasn't to heavy so i don't think that that changed the layers of coticule in another direction
and I was a little child back then

Gunner777 said:
It would take one hell of an earthquake to do any damage of the magnitude described!

Yeah,I think it's pretty safe to say they've been mining since 1995 too! Unless they're referring to a different mine than the one in use today.

You have a point there as far as frequency. Maybe the government at the website given advised closing operations because of a potential hazard?????

danjared said:
BlacknTan said:

You're assuming the use of common sense.

Point well taken... LOL

The remark about "vintage" Coticules versus recentll extracted ones is addressed here.
As far as the "Earthquake is concerned". During the winter of 2008-2009 a part of the aft wall of the quarry collapsed. It took Ardennes awhile to secure the wall and remove all the debris from the bottom of the quarry, in order to gain full access to the Coticle layers. I know they already had trouble fullfilling orders before that, due to rising demand.
When we visited the quarry in September 2010, during the Coticule weekend, everything seemed back to normal.
I haven't been in touch with Ardennes since October, hence I know nothing about more recent happenings.

Kind regards,
Bart.

I'm guessing that someone has a bunch of "bad" coticules to sell, and they are trying to drive the price up before dumping them on the classifieds....

I don't know Chris I think that post has been there a good while just because they don't change that website often????

Back