ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Rebuilding a bevel..............help needed

Ralfy,
When in doubt, always go back to the beginning and retest. If the frown is big enough, it will show up as a huge black line, not yet removed. If it is not that big, then you haven't gone far enough.
Either way, you just might decide to breadknife it on a stone. Sometimes that just makes sense because of the time involved to hone the last little bit of the frown out. It's basically your call at this point.

Ray

tat2Ralfy said:
Width of Spine= 4.77 mm
Width of Blade to the top of any hone wear= 18.41 mm
Angle with 5 layers of tape= 16.6

Puzzling...
Here's what I get (spine width - blade width - no tape, 1 layer, 2 layers, 3 layers, 4 layers)
4,8 - 18,4 - // 15,0 - 15,9 - 16,9 - 17,8 - 18,8

With those figures, I'd do the rough shaping on the DMT-C and -F, with 2 layers. Remove everything and apply one layer to dial in the final bevel angle on a Coticule with slurry. Take it through a Dilucot for sharpening. Unicot with a second layer if needed.

At this point, I would breadknife that frown. You really must measure again after that, as it alters the blade width, yet it seems to me the blade can still take some breadknifing, without the bevel angle becoming too steep.

I can't comment on Ray's method, I have no experience with that. I'm sure it works well, if it comes from Ray. I hope my posts are not interfering with his.

Best regards,
Bart.

I am not familure with Bart's method, but it looks like you are. I think at this point, you need to pick one of them and stick with it to completion. I am not sure what your results would be mixing the two, but it might be possible that you end up where you are right now by doing that.

Either way, I am going to follow this thread and stick with you to the end. I am as interested in getting you through this as both you and Bart are.

Ray

rayman said:
I am not familure with Bart's method, but it looks like you are. I think at this point, you need to pick one of them and stick with it to completion. I am not sure what your results would be mixing the two, but it might be possible that you end up where you are right now by doing that.

Either way, I am going to follow this thread and stick with you to the end. I am as interested in getting you through this as both you and Bart are.

Ray
Ray is correct. Two cooks in a kitchen might bake an ugly cake.

In any case, my remarks only talk about the final angle at which you're setting the bevel. It(s not that critical, as long as you stay within reasonable range.

I'm going to sit back, relax and watch how you and Ray sort this motherfucker out. Now. Where's my cigar and that bottle of Highland Park 18y...

:thumbup:

Thanks again guys
and enjoy the cigar and drink Sir Bart
here I am at almost 1 a.m face sore from trying a new soap, wife smashing up the house and calling me anything but human
Aahh life is sweet

tat2Ralfy said:
wife smashing up the house and calling me anything but human
Ralfy. A razor doesn't warm the bed at night. Take good care of your Alicia, mistress of the home of n°10...

Good night,
Bart.

Ah thank you Bart, but Alicia and me are bound to go our seperate ways, I wont bother you with it all my friend
But lets just say I have reached a point in my life where the days of abuse have worn a little thin and tonight she is still kicking off after, lets see now...............6 hrs and counting, I still carry the scars of her worst attack, and the local police know their way here blindfolded

Sorry to hear that my friend. Not aware of your situation, I was only talking in good fun.
I really wish you both the best, whether that's together or separate ways.

Kindness,
Bart.

Ralfy, very sorry to hear that… but as they say where I come from “It is better to (occasionally) live alone and happy, then live together in misery”.
Whatever will happen… will happen… I wish you both the best my friend.

Thank you both for your kindness and support
Just back from work, and unless a sensible sit down talk is on the cards (witch I very much doubt) I have been invited over to an old friends for the night, where I intend to stay and get completely Ratted.
No doubt there will be an aftermath but hey lives for living

Ok heres a quick progress report, i have carried it on with Sir Rays method until the bevel is far more even :thumbup:
I eventually breadknifed the frown out and rebuilt the bevel once again with 2 layers of tape, using The Ray "Tape the black line" method, so now we are at the "Wtf have I got to do to get this thing to pass tnt" stage. I have spent all afternoon on the 400 and when I switch to the 1000 I find the edge dulls off! go figure?

Anyway I now have it passing tnt apart from at the heel, however I cant seem to get the feel of the synthetic so I will continue after tonights shave with the coti and a good slurry.

Thanks again guys

tat2Ralfy said:
Ok heres a quick progress report, i have carried it on with Sir Rays method until the bevel is far more even :thumbup:
I eventually breadknifed the frown out and rebuilt the bevel once again with 2 layers of tape, using The Ray "Tape the black line" method, so now we are at the "Wtf have I got to do to get this thing to pass tnt" stage. I have spent all afternoon on the 400 and when I switch to the 1000 I find the edge dulls off! go figure?

Anyway I now have it passing tnt apart from at the heel, however I cant seem to get the feel of the synthetic so I will continue after tonights shave with the coti and a good slurry.

Thanks again guys

Ralfy,
Once you have the edge straight and even, you need to remove the tape to do the bevel. If yo leave those small pieces of tape on there it will just keep trying to even things out. One piece of tape would be all you need and only to preserve the spine.

With no tape on or only 1 piece, you can hone until you are cutting arm hair and then move to the coti.

Ray

I did remove the small bits of tape once the black was removed from the whole length of the edge, then I re blacked and tested again, taped where it was needed and repeated the process until I got a clean black line after 1 or 2 passes with no small pieces of tape, this has been a wonderful learning curve for me, it seemed such a simple method, yet there is plenty to learn along the way, thank you

The trouble I have now is that I cant seem to hit the shave arm hair stage, Damn this blade is hard work, I have re lapped the 1000 grit and must have done 300 laps but still I am not even hitting tnt along the whole edge, let alone the arm hair test, I tell you mate if I ever get this thing sharp it will be the toughest edge I have ever seen.

Ralfy,
Forget that TNT bs. Do you have anything corser than the 1k stone? If not, then use both hands on that blade and just a little more pressure than normal. You should start to see swarf buildup on the stone.

If the answer to both these questions is no, then send me that damn thing and I will take care of it for you.

Ray

Bless you Ray, I need the TNT bs, HTF can I check my progress without it?
And I do have the 400 side of the combi synthetic, I am just setting up to use it as we speak.
This wont beat me! or at least I know it wont beat you ;) .... lol

Well I learnt something else tonight, synthetics glaze over making them not worth a wank when it comes to honing!...lol

All sorted :w00t: hht= pop straight of the coti
I will post a report with a pic of the new straight bevel later

Thanks again for all the help
You made a happy man very old.... no wait.....lol

tat2Ralfy said:
Well I learnt something else tonight, synthetics glaze over making them not worth a wank when it comes to honing!...lol

All sorted :w00t: hht= pop straight of the coti
I will post a report with a pic of the new straight bevel later

Thanks again for all the help
You made a happy man very old.... no wait.....lol

Ralfy,

I think it's you made an old man very happy.....:)

Congradulations!!!!!!!!! Great job.

Ray

Bless you Cedric :rolleyes:
heres a quick pic, still needs stropping and I will shave with it tonight :thumbup:

PICT0008.jpg

Back