ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Selbstrasirer Rose

efsk

Absurd hero
SU-Patron Gold
One of my first, possibly the first, wedge-type SE I acquired: the Rose Selbstrasirer.
Basically a Kampfe-type lathercatcher with a two-piece handle and a stroppinghelp, packed in a tin can that no longer shows what it was for. As this is from around 1896 I found that not too surprising, although I've seen them better preserved.
Originally it came with a Rose blade, mine with a Henkels.
The head has two little "points on top. These are actually adjustment screws, that you can use to adjust how far the blade can move to the comb. The lower part of the handle has a small slot in one end (not photographed because I discovered this feature after taking pics for years ago) that will fit the points and let you adjust.
Last two pics shows similarities and differences with the Comfort SE.
DSC01459.JPG
DSC01461.JPG
DSC01462.JPG
DSC01463.JPG
DSC01464.JPG
DSC01465.JPG
DSC01466.JPG
DSC01467.JPG
DSC01468.JPG
DSC01469.JPG
DSC01470.JPG
DSC02372_2.JPG
DSC02373_2.JPG

It always amazes me how blatantly the Germans made 100% copies of Kampfe razors without giving any credit.
Other than the writing and markings, both the Rose and the Comfort are identical to Kampfe razors of the time.
The Germans were the Chinese of their age.

Followup to this thread is here

I beg to differ about the German being the Chinese of their time. If you consider them cheaters then a more accurate description is The Americans of their time. Americans started copying shamelessly the Brits in the 1800s and the Brits were mad at them. Fast forward to our time and again if you consider the Chinese copying the Americans and assuming the German were copying the Americans after that then we can call the Chinese the Germans of our time.

If you carefully read history, you will know that the Germans were ahead of their time in technology. Only war slowed them down (WW1). But they were able to rebuild back better (pun intended) and stronger than ever in a short amount of time. That is a an insanely strong nation.

Same goes for the Chinese. If you think copying is easy, read the patents about chip building and try to create an EUV machine like ASML. You'll be selling machines 200 million a pop.
Just try it and see if it works for you. All ASML patents are available. BTW 30% of the names on these patents are of Chinese origin.

Patents are not the tools that helps copying, They don't tell you how to build things or build them efficiently to commercial scale or get you unparalleled quality control. It's craftsmanship, manufacturing know-how and engineering that gets the job done. Patents are for protecting the creative part of the invention with legal means.

Back