ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Shaving Technique, help needed

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
OK Chaps I mentioned this in another thread "We say BBS But..."
I simply cannot get my 2 "Hot Spots" either side of my wind pipe, completely BBS, they are very close and smooth everytime, and sometimes they are almost bbs, but theres always a tiny tiny bit of stubble left when I rub them ATG, the problem is that the hair grows out sideways from my windpipe, and its right under my chin, I go straight down, then straight up, then do a 45 degree sweep up and down, thats 4 passes in total! thank god (and Sir Bart) for Coticules..lol

But still I am left with a tiny bit of "Feel" I stretch the skin like a mad man, stick my chin in the air like a prize fighter, and try everything, the only thing I cannot do is shave completely sideways in order to hit the problem area.

I remember Sir Bart saying how he did it, and it has helped a lot, but still completely bbs is eluding me, am I chasing the impossible here? or can someone share a technique that will help me achieve a completely bbs shave

Many thanks and kind regards
Ralfson (Dr)
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
Dear Doctor,

While you sit in front of your computer, put your right index finger on top of the said spot. Next, place your left hand under your nose, palm facing down. Your nose has to rest on that part of skin between your thumb and index finger. Got that?
Now, instead of sticking your chin out, pull it in, so that your neck puffs up. Use the middle finger, ring finger and pinky of your left hand to grab underneath your jaw bone and pull that rough patch right up your jaw bone. Tilt your head a bit to the left. Feel how the rough patch straightens out, the hairs "attend hut" and feel with your right index finger how they could be best shaved.
It sounds outrageous, but it's actually not that difficult. And it does get that patch smooth.

Please let me know if you can make something of this description.

Kind regards,
Bart.
 

deighaingeal

Well-Known Member
I have the same problem area. I believe that I understand what you are getting at, Bart, but maybe a picture would be helpful.
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
[img=600]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12421753/though-spot1.jpg[/img]
[img=600]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12421753/though-spot2.jpg[/img]

Cheers,

Bart.
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
And heres you telling us all that "stumpy" was a result of a wood working machine! ..lol

Thank you for that my friend, I will try it this very evening :thumbup:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)
 

Matt

Well-Known Member
Wow, this is what you call stretching!

I've exactly the same problem Ralfy - I also try to tackle it by stretching the skin sideways, towards Adam's apple, so it leaves the "Pit of Doom". :) Am I being clear enough here, my friend?

Let us know how things went.

cheers,
Matt
 

danjared

Well-Known Member
decraew said:
what about a match, the Turkish Barber Way ;)

I actually have a (rather insane) friend whose preferred method of "shaving" her legs involves white gas (y'know, the kind you use for poi). But she also has a photograph of herself in a bikini next to the South Pole sign (she's been spending her summers down there at an experiment station).
 

Woodash

Well-Known Member
^^^^^^ I think that grip (posture?...whatever you want to call it) deserves a name to be immortalized in the straight razor lexicon. I propose: 'Bart's Neck Puff Contortion' (otherwise known as the 'Attend Hut Stubblebuster'). :rolleyes:
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
Well I tried it and damn its awkward, for me at least, it felt like I had never held a razor before...lol
Isnt it amazing how trying a different thing can feel so odd? its not just the stretch its the fact that I need to hold the razor a little differently and perform the strokes in a way I dont normally do.

I need to work on it a bit :blink:

Regards and pass the band aids
Ralfson (Dr)
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
tat2Ralfy said:
Well I tried it and damn its awkward, for me at least, it felt like I had never held a razor before...lol
Isnt it amazing how trying a different thing can feel so odd? its not just the stretch its the fact that I need to hold the razor a little differently and perform the strokes in a way I dont normally do.

I need to work on it a bit :blink:

Regards and pass the band aids
Ralfson (Dr)

Yes, be careful. :)

The general idea is to shave your normal routine. Finally, give the said problem spots a dab of thin, translucent lather, and get both spots perfectly smooth with the stretching technique I showed. With the rest of the face free of lather, it's easy to manipulate the skin. Maybe it's good to note that I don't switch hands for shaving. Instead I use 4 different razor grips, adapted from the 4 basic barber grips. Here, the scales are fully extended and I hold the razor like you would hold a butter knife.

richmondesi said:
great pic, Bart. You look more rested there than in the Pilgrimage pics :lol:
Actually, I was born looking tired. Not much I can do about that. :(
 

Matt

Well-Known Member
Bart said:
Maybe it's good to note that I don't switch hands for shaving. Instead I use 4 different razor grips, adapted from the 4 basic barber grips.
Every now and then you give the slightest hints of some pretty interesting things. Could you be more specific on that or maybe share some pictures if it's not a problem? Probably most of us came up with some tricks and grips on our own, but it's always good to learn and try something new.

my best regards,
Matt
 

tat2Ralfy

Well-Known Member
Now you see I use both hands, I couldnt imagine using one. Maybe I will have to give it a go_ kind regards Ralfson (Dr)
 

Bart

Well-Known Member
tat2Ralfy said:
Now you see I use both hands, I couldnt imagine using one. Maybe I will have to give it a go_ kind regards Ralfson (Dr)

That doesn't matter. The technique is actually simpler with a 2 handed technique because you only have to mirror it for the other side of your neck. With a singlehanded shaving technique, the stretching on the left side of the neck is preformed a bit differently, but I think everyone is smart enough to figure it out.

Matt said:
Probably most of us came up with some tricks and grips on our own, but it's always good to learn and try something new.
Indeed. I do believe that whatever works for someone holding a razor in a particular way, is fine. So let there be no gospel.:)
But start a thread with the title "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" and I will post pictures of me shaving and using the different grips I use. Or maybe a video.:rolleyes:

Kind regards,
Bart.
 

Matt

Well-Known Member
Bart said:
Matt said:
Probably most of us came up with some tricks and grips on our own, but it's always good to learn and try something new.
Indeed. I do believe that whatever works for someone holding a razor in a particular way, is fine. So let there be no gospel.:)
But start a thread with the title "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" and I will post pictures of me shaving and using the different grips I use. Or maybe a video.:rolleyes:

Kind regards,
Bart.
Well it's a slight misunderstanding I should have actually cleared up. I rather meant those '4 basic barber grips' you are referring to. :)

cheers,
Matt
 

Smythe

Well-Known Member
Ranfy, I an going out on a limb here, and also suggest... when using that technique... also slightly increase the angle of the razor against the skin (this is the only time I suggest the use of a higher angle)... so use a light touch and a scything cut... light enough that you may feel the edge "bouncing" off the whiskers... adjust angle/pressure to cut those whiskers in as few strokes as possible.

I guess now we know why they are called "Cut Thoughts".
 
Top