ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Shaving Technique, help needed

Ralfy, if it makes you feel any better: All the hair on my neck (and most of my face) grows sideways. It's kind of a massive pain in the ass.

Oy, Ralfy, and other neck-stubble-growing-sideways-fellas! :lol:

I asked my sweet Anna to help me yesterday with the picture (I'm not good at shooting pics AND holding a razor at the same time, lol) and together we came up with this photo.

The idea is to push your larynx off axis and this way you have your Pit of Doom significantly less (if any) concave. I'm also stretching my skin with the same hand that does the voice box pushing. Watch out for your neck artery however, because you may also press it while pushing the larynx and if you do it too long, the opposite part of your body (indidentally the same that controls the razor, bwahahahaha!) might run a little out of control! :D

Oh, BTW it's not that clear from the pic (or maybe it is, seeing at the grip but I'll write it anyway) - my hands are crossed here, i.e. I am shaving left side of the neck with my right hand and vice versa. I too feel awkward holding a razor the way Bart shows on his pics. ;)

Hope that helps, if someone tries it, please let me know what you think or maybe you come up with something else this way?

cheers,
Matt

[c]________________

4-Ralfy.jpg
[/c]

Hey Ralfy,

One of the key points is to use both hands with different grips.
Usually I do only two passes. First, I shave downward. I use my right hand for the right side of my face and my left hand for the left side. This is some sort WTG and across, since the beard grows sideways in some spots, namely in these difficult spots below you jawbone.
Second, I shave upwards on the neck and sideways on my cheecks. This time I use my left hand for my right side and vice versa. Again, this is some mix of directions, but namely against the grain. On my neck, I pull my skin downwards.
After that step my face is usually smoot except for those nasty spots.
If I really want those spots smooth too I basically do what Bart suggested in his post and pictures. The only difference is that I am not able to stretch my skin sooo much.
But what I think is the key is to switch hands again. I.e. this time the left hand is used for the left side and vice versa. By doing so, the edge will naturally be in a position to shave against those stubbles - look at Barts picture.
Rinse cold, use a good splash of after shave and enjoy the day!

Cheers
BlueDun

Hey Matt,

You missed a big chunk of perfectly good and shaveable beard on your chin... :lol:

Regards,
Urmas

I do all that, I start with straight down my face, using my right hand
For the moustache and top right lower left, and my left hand for the top
Left and lower right, then I go sideways across my cheeks and up
From my lower neck to jaw line, then up from Jasmine to ears
To finish I go across at 45 degrees from lower neck up, and lastly down
At 45 degrees from Jasmine. If I don't cover all areas atg I don't get
Totally bbs, I can get clean and smooth with just 3 passes but not totally
Bbs which is what I am after.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Edit I mean jaw line not Jasmine damn iPhone lol

For something like what Matt's trying to do (I think), I sometimes use this grip and go XTG from ear to larnyx (right side, either on my neck and up on my cheek as well). On the neck, I use a slant or a scything motion.
FriodurGrip_2_0010-1.png

More and more these days, though, I just go WTG one pass, and then ATG to finish. Easy peasy!

BlueDun said:
Sanding paper? I suggest #1200 ;) ;)
say what? :blink:

Woodash said:
For something like what Matt's trying to do (I think), I sometimes use this grip (...)

Yeah, that's what I was referring to when I wrote "holding a razor the way Bart shows on his pics". Anyway, having a little less than two years experience of straight shaving, a sole thumb controlling the blade in most part just doesn't feel enough secure to me - yet. Or maybe it's just that I'm such a lousy shaver. B)

cheers,
Matt

Back