ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Strange coticule ( if it is a coticule).

macrob

Producer/ Dealer
Hello.
I lurked on Coticule.be for over a year and now its time to say Hello.I must say that this site is great, loads of useful information and friendly people.I really enjoyed reading topics covered in Coticule Sharping Academy.
Few weeks ago i bought my first coti from Steve from The Invisible Edge and i love that stone.I was able to hone one of my razors after second attempt.But there is much room for improvement.:)
Today i received an old coticule (i think)i scored on eBay.The thing is its not backed by BBW or any other stone. I've made a test ,raised a slurry and its cutting steel like my other coti. Could i ask for an advise ?

Here are pics.
100_4118.jpg

100_4113.jpg

100_4114.jpg

100_4117.jpg

100_4115.jpg

100_4111.jpg

100_4116.jpg

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Maciek.

Does that means that its a more like slow cutter than bevel setter ? There was no slurry stone in the box , it was probably used as a finisher. Just my guess.

If it is les Latneuses, chances are it will be fast on both slurry and water, on the creamy looking side, and slower on the more heavily featured side

either way I feel its safe to say it a Coticule, so should provide you with a very nice shave, once you figure it out

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Nice spalted wood. :)

The stone is a Coticule, no doubt about it. There is no other hone with that sort manganese presence as yours has at one of the ends.

I agree with this very likely being a Coticule from the Les Latneuses layer. That means it will be probably a very fast hone. I like the way they finish a lot. It's definitely worth lapping the underside, as that side will behave somewhat differently.

2 Coticules for the price of one.:w00t:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Nice stone, looks very much like a Les Latneuses... fast on slurry and water for a great edge... though we cannot be sure it is "vintage"... enjoy it my friend.

However, a word about your photos... as for me it is rather difficult to see where the stone ends and the wood begins (especially so in the side shots)...

A photo is two dimensional and the stone is figured. If the object is to show details of the stone, then why have it camouflaged against a similarly, colored and figured wooden background... :confused:

Thank you Gentelmen for your advise. I will give it a go tomorrow. Bart and Gary ,i will lap the uderside and will try it out.
Regards.
Mac.

Old coticules hardly ever came with slurry stones, from what I've seen they just didn't offer them back in the day. Barber's used to get their razors set/ sharpened and they would just use touch ups from there on. They would use lather as a vehicle to hone on.

Enjoy it, it's very nice!

Update.
This stone seems to be a slow cutter.I tried to hone a razor with it today and its slower than my other coti.I couldn't set a bevel on that stone, while i was able to do that on other coti after two series of 15 strokes per side. Same razor , same pressure (even water from the same glass:lol: ). Well i think i must learn that stone and the way its speak to me.:)

Yes i did.
I tried to hone a razor on that stone again yesterday evenining.Success,i performed a Unicot and razor shaves very well.
Practise,practise and practise.I must say i realy enjoy honing on that stones.

Regards.
Maciek.

Back