ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Swing

efsk

Absurd hero
SU-Patron Gold
Swing is a Swedish razorbrand. As far as I've seen, they made DE's and blades, no straights or SE's. At some point they started catering the Dutch market as well, and I think I've seen somewhere they came in Dutch hands, although maybe I'm now confusing Matador with Swing.
Here's a 3-piece I've sold:
DSC00135.JPG
DSC00136.JPG
DSC00137.JPG
DSC00138.JPG

I have a cheaper version of the Swing OC. It shaves a little rough, considering the SB version is very smooth a shaver. I also have a NOS 4 piece travel Swing and a regular brown handle (which I did not find until I was putting the others away). I cannot say enough good things about the Swing, especially the SB.

DSC02909.JPG
DSC02910.JPG

Here's my Swing set. Wonder who Berkowitz & Sons were. Nice gift or sample set.

Reactions: ehv
Here's my Swing set. Wonder who Berkowitz & Sons were. Nice gift or sample set.
Not sure why, but my images are not getting uploaded or displayed on this site any longer. Wonder what happened?! Can the moderator provide any insight? Thanks.

Hi Jake,

we did not change anything. Did you uploaded the images on our server or did you post a link from an external source and embeded it here?

I just copied and pasted the images. Just like I’ve done before. I’ll try again. But it failed twice today.

This time I uploaded the image files into the post and it appears that the photos are displaying correctly. My Swing set was a gift from Berkowitz & Sons -- nice package and one of the few razor sets delivered in a round case. Very cool. And a decent shaver, IMHO.

swing-0.jpg

swing-1.jpg
swing-2.jpg

I just copied and pasted the images. Just like I’ve done before. I’ll try again. But it failed twice today.

Please never copy/paste images into a posting. This will never work in the long run. Please use only one of the following 2 ways of showing images:

Either upload it into your posting via the upload button or use a link to the external hosting site where your images are hosted - if that hosting service supports embedding links. See detailed description here:

https://shavinguniverse.com/community/threads/how-to-upload-images.69/

Thanks

Nice razor @Jake . The Berkowitz-case I've never seen before, my round-cased Swing only has Swing on it. Also, mine, if I remember correctly, is closed combed so I find it very nice to see a toothed one. How do you like the bakelite handle?

It just seems odd that when I first started looking into the Swing razor and acquired two of them, I never knew that they made an OC version until I came across one on eBay (as I searched for more Swings). Now this thread seem to show ONLY OC Swing razors, as if they are the most common. For me, I can see why they are hard to find - they just do not measure up to their SB in the way of efficiency and smoothness (just my opinion).

Thank you for that patent @Robgtt99!

I still have one round cased closed comb, had another that I sold.
The one I sold was brown bakelite, with a brown bakelite handle:
DSC01808.JPG
DSC01809.JPG
DSC01811.JPG
DSC01812.JPG
DSC01813.JPG
DSC01815.JPG
DSC01816.JPG
DSC01817.JPG
DSC01818.JPG
DSC01819.JPG
DSC01820.JPG

I like my round boxed Swing's, but they are already shown above (...well except one of mine has a green bakelite case...mm)
I Do have some variations not shown above.
a travel razor, but open comb and box (and yes, the handle unscrews in the middle and fits inside):
SAM_2311.JPG

a couple of closed comb with an ball end type handle:
SAM_2304.JPG

These are different in that the one in front only has "Swing" on the handle, the other has "Swing on bottom and top top plate:
SAM_2305.JPG
SAM_2306.JPG

The next one has the same head ("Swing" on bottom and top), but a much nicer handle and different box: I tried to photograph the inside of the box, on the transparent insert it says "Gebruikte Swing Mesjes" . Dutch for "Used Swing Blades"
SAM_2307.JPG

SAM_2308.JPG

Last but not least:
SAM_2309.JPG

SAM_2310.JPG

The same as the one EFSK started the thread, but with closed comb. The bottom plate of this one is also different from the others, it has a thicker middle part.

In line with Richard's remark that they aimed for the Dutch marked or were even taken over by some dutch, all except the travel razor are marked with "Roestvrij" (lit. "Stainless") on the razor, so definitely for the dutch market.
To use "stainless" or "roestvrij" for brass today sounds somewhat silly ... mmm

To use "stainless" or "roestvrij" for brass today sounds somewhat silly ... mmm
It's what we call "Truth in advertising". Negativland made a whole album around that concept.

Nice razors (and cases!) you show there Frank!

Back