ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Tell me, tell me ... everything you know!

vgeorge

Sheepish :blush: semi-lurking no more. :D This is what I got. :love: Tell me everything ... in detail ... all that you know ...

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

I am overwhelmed :lol: :lol: I am not sure I can survive this much knowledge coming at me :lol: :lol:

I've never seen a Coticule with that looks. Did it came from Ardennes?

Kind regards,
Bart.

How should I constrain free flow of knowledge? :O :confused:

Perhaps, you could start with vein, cutting speed, polishing speed, dilution rates, etc.? (Ya, to be specific, not on the quarter ... ;) )

Bart,

I'm glad you said that. It looks like my la grosse blanche, but it's a natural combination stone... But, I don't know, obviously...

Vgeorge, if you would like, you can send it to me for evaluation, and I can give you some specifics about your stone.

Looks like we get to learn from you a bit on this one :)

Bart said:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Et tu, Bart!

Are you serious?

If you are, here goes. I tried to get the provenance. Not much luck. This comes to me from a friend, who got it (and too many other, he feels now) from yeeBay sometime ago from a seller who did not know much about it at all.

(To all others, before you start, I do not want any of your knowledge about the caliper either.)

richmondesi said:
Bart,

I'm glad you said that. It looks like my la grosse blanche, but it's a natural combination stone... But, I don't know, obviously...

Vgeorge, if you would like, you can send it to me for evaluation, and I can give you some specifics about your stone.

Looks like we get to learn from you a bit on this one :)

I will only happy to do that. Thanks for the offer. However, could it be that I have not photographed things properly?

I even put a gray sheet behind it! Would you recommend any technique to capture the stone better?

George

vgeorge said:
(To all others, before you start, I do not want any of your knowledge about the caliper either.)

That's too bad, I know nothing about stones. If you want specifics I would send it to Paul, See what he thinks of it.

vgeorge said:
Bart said:

Kind regards,
Bart.

Et tu, Bart!

Are you serious?

If you are, here goes. I tried to get the provenance. Not much luck. This comes to me from a friend, who got it (and too many other, he feels now) from yeeBay sometime ago from a seller who did not know much about it at all.

Yes, I am serious.
The blue part caries the white lines of a La Veinette, but those are always very uniform, and I've never seen a La Veinnette with such an undulating separation line.

La Grosse Blanche of course does exist as a natural combination version, but I've not yet seen one. I know from Maurice La Grosse Blanche does not exist at the depth they're currently mining, so unless they start mining back at higher levels farther to the East, I don't expect to see many Grosse Blanches. (The same thing is true for La Grosse Jaune)
Paul is right that the spots do look like those found on some La Grosse Blanches, but they usually have a brown hue.

It almost looks as it the slurry stone is trimmed off the main stone.

That really is all I can tell you.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
It almost looks as it the slurry stone is trimmed off the main stone.

I would also think that the slurry stone was cut from the main one. See pictures below, taken in better light on a window sill, hopefully something more will show up.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

Bart, I just got it. It is my first coticule. In a few days, I will ship this to Paul, and we will get more definitive word on this.

George

Back