ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

thank you torolf!

geruchtemoaker

yesterday I received my strop from torolf. and I have to say I've been blast away. never expected such a beautiful strop.
it's a vintage pike strop he gave a new life. I tried it today and I really like the draw on it.
also he send a hemp strop to use instead of linen and I have found it a very rough material but liked the effect it had on the blade. just have to temper it a bit i think so I'll need to get some white dovo paste next time I'm near a razor shop.

thank you torolf!
cheers
Stijn

Your most welcome, Stijn:)
I'm glad you like them. My feelings about the hemp are exactly the same.
You'll have to take a picture yourself, unfortunately, since I am crap about shooting stuff before I send it out:(

If I might venture a speculation about fabric. In an email to Chris I expressed some thoughts about the Kanayama linen which relates to the coarser hemp types. I was a little surprised that Chris' sanding didn't have a greater effect on the linen. This type of hemp is equally, if not more, coarse than the Kanayama. The difference is the stiffness of the fabric, the hemp being very limp in comparison. I believe that the stiffness of the Kanayama is what prevents a greater edge improvement. Perhaps only a psychological effect (I am loath to use the type of pressure on the Kanayama I would normally use), but a very real effect nonetheless. With the relatively supple hemp one can strop away as normal, receiving the benefit of the coarser weave fully.

regards,
Torolf

as requested sorry if the photo isn't really clear but it comes from my cell phone
[img=800]http://schrywoud.webs.com/Foto0013.jpg[/img]

That looks like a great combination. :thumbup:

Torolf, I have experimented with what I believe to be hemp straps as well, but they have a natural look:
[img=800]http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/members/bart-albums-stropping-album-picture4578-hemp-strop.jpg[/img]

Have you dyed yours white? Or did it come white? If dyed, by you or the factory, I am wondering about the effect of the dying process. I know for fact that the many green dyes contain Chromium Oxide and most white dyes contain Titanium Oxide, a.k.a Titanium White. It has a hardness of 6.5 on the Mohs scale, which makes it mildly abrasive for hardened steel and possibly very nice for edge conditioning. It's just one of these things that I'm continuously wondering about. I found my "hemp" ,if that's what it is to not do much of anything, until I treated it with some pastes. I've tried Dovo white, rumored to be chalk, but why not TiO²? and I've also tried BBW slurry and CrO. They each gave distinct results, worthy of further experimentation. But time to do it is absent. A constant sorrow in my life. :(

Kind regards,
Bart.

Hi Bart,

No, it's natural. It just looks very pale in the picture. What you show in your picture could be hemp, but I would think it is probably jute, a little bit stiffer and coarser. But perhaps not enough to notice. Jute has been much more common in production in our lifetimes than hemp.

Yes, time. I feel like I am full up constantly. To make room for one thing always requires a shifting, or neglecting, of something else... Always more ideas than are possible...

regards,
Torolf

Absolutely beautiful Torlof!
what great work and a from a real gentleman too :thumbup:

My Best Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

That is an awesome looking restoration, very top shelf! I think I may have to post something similar to this very soon.
Thanks for sharing.

TM280 said:
Hi Bart,

No, it's natural. It just looks very pale in the picture. What you show in your picture could be hemp, but I would think it is probably jute, a little bit stiffer and coarser. But perhaps not enough to notice. Jute has been much more common in production in our lifetimes than hemp.

Yes, time. I feel like I am full up constantly. To make room for one thing always requires a shifting, or neglecting, of something else... Always more ideas than are possible...

regards,
Torolf

Thanks Torolf. Jute, how come that I didn't figure that out myself. It indeed has that potato bag quality. :)

Kind regards,
Bart.

Hi Torolf. I was very taken with one of your strops today. i spent a brilliant few hours with the hone master & all round great guy that is Gary Haywood. we had a fantastic honing session this morning & Gary sorted out a problem edge on my Wade & Butcher. He kindly allowed me to try his strop which he got from your good self & i must say i loved it. The feel the draw & the look was just perfect.
Can you email me price list etc. My wife is gong to buy me one (she dont know yet!!)

Many Thanks

Marty

Hi Marty,

Lucky you can pop over to Gary's. I would love to spend some quality time with him on the hones.

Thanks, I'll send you a message.

regards,
Torolf

Back