ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

The Collections Gallery - Post your stone(s)!

Loric

We all love looking at coticules, you know you stop in from time to time just to admire them. It is high time for us to have a thread to show off our collections! Whether you have one stone or 100, dont be afraid to take some photo's and share them with everyone.

Top.jpg

from left to right - LPB 200x30mm, LPB 150x50mm, La Dressante 175x40mm, mystery stone 175x40mm (likely a Les Lat, LPB, or La Dressanate), La Verte 175x23mm, La Grise 125x70mm, Les Lat 145x60mm.
Slurry stones LPB, La Dressanate, La Verte, Les Lat, Les Lat
Side.jpg

BBWHybrid.jpg

The long skinny LPB has an almost hybrid BBW, very unique.

Thanks for looking, and I cant wait to see some more great coticules.

Some wonderful looking stones, and a great idea for a thread :thumbup:

I have moved this as the Coticule cavern is a strictly technical area for discussing honing

There are plans in the pipeline to develop our very own Coticule gallery, where members can show their beloved stones, I think in the meantime this thread will serve very nicely indeed.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Here is my humble collection:

Left to right, La Petite Blanche, Miners Stone, La Veinette, Les Latneuses, La Petite Blanche

30593db4.jpg

43dd1680.jpg

Best Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Some wonderful looking stones, and a great idea for a thread :thumbup:

I have moved this as the Coticule cavern is a strictly technical area for discussing honing

There are plans in the pipeline to develop our very own Coticule gallery, where members can show their beloved stones, I think in the meantime this thread will serve very nicely indeed.

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)
yes, that gallery is under construction on my private coticule.be:D

kind regards
Stijn

My extremely humble collection:
252787_1968533205964_1021973112_2306385_7461750_n.jpg

From left to right and top down:

200*50 mm La Veinette,natural combo, a beauty with gold like spots,medium fast on slurry.Mellow edges.

170*15 mm raw La Verte,cut up,extremely slow,slurry is very difficult to raise.Brisk edges.

150*40 mm most likely a La Grosse Jaune,natural combo,wonderfull hone,quite fast on slurry.Mellow edges.

Triangular slurry stone,50*55*70 mm,unknown layer,natural combi.

Rectangular slurry stone,50*30*40*30 mm,unknown layer,natural combi,lines cut for
creating slurry faster.

Raw bout,60*20*22*30*40*52 mm,unknown layer. My grandfathers and great grandfathers stone,used for honing chisels,they were both carpenters. A completely priceless stone for me:love: Slow with slurry.Brisk but somehow mellow edges.
Kind regards
Torbs

my collection:
left to right: la verte, les latneuses, unknown(found while hiking by bart), unknown "vintage"
[img=700]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15247762/Foto0042.jpg[/img]
kind regards
Stijn

Thats a lot of fine stones! Sigh....:thumbup:

Sir Bart,could we do the same thing with razor collections or would it take up too much precious data? I`m not sure how much space you have available now...

Kind regards
Torbs

Thanks for sharing everyone! I'm glad the thread seems to be appreciated. I had doubts about it being in flavor with the forum, but I was to curious not to try :thumbup:

torbenbp said:
200*50 mm La Veinette,natural combo, a beauty with gold like spots,medium fast on slurry.Mellow edges.

Torbs, that is a particularly beautiful and unique golden brown stone. I love the color!

My favourite stone:

7233734ezu.jpg

17x4cm, hard, auto slurry can fored with pressure.

HHT after dilluting is ~2-3 with my hair. Is able to produce shaving
sharpness w/o any slurry after 3k if the pressure game is played
correctly (doesn't work on all blades).

I guess that the edges can be described as mellow.

The crack doesn't affect honing at all.

Torbs, that is a particularly beautiful and unique golden brown stone. I love the color!

Uploaded a low res picture but the stone is quite unusual,bought it directly/personaly from Maurice. The golden spots are very evident when the stone is wet. If you have a specific desire,Maurice is indeed extremely helpfull and might have a good offer.This one was a kind offer,it does have a vertical crack (CA`ed) so it was a special offer at a very decent price.

Torbs

torbenbp said:
Uploaded a low res picture but the stone is quite unusual,bought it directly/personaly from Maurice. The golden spots are very evident when the stone is wet.

Is there a chance you cold take a close up of the golden spots? I'm even more curious now.

torbenbp said:
If you have a specific desire,Maurice is indeed extremely helpfull and might have a good offer.

+1 He just helped me out with a nice LGB and a tiger striped stone, when they get here I'll have to update my collection photo lol

Is there a chance you cold take a close up of the golden spots
Will give it a try tommorow in daylight,but it`s very difficult to catch details on a wet stone:scared:
Torbs

AllStones.jpg

Here are mine. La Dressante, unknown fast bout, La Verte de Jarrod, La Dressante au Bleu, LPB combination and a trapezoidal bout that I think is La Dressante. The wide Dressante will either be sold soon or have a run in with a tile saw, too wide for me but a lovely stone. The Verte is my go to finisher, love it.

I only have one stone, a Les Latneuses. I have posted these pictures elsewhere, but I thought it would be alright if I would re-post these pictures here.

cot5.jpg

cot4.jpg

cot3.jpg

cot2.jpg

cot1.jpg

torbenbp said:
Is there a chance you cold take a close up of the golden spots
Will give it a try tommorow in daylight,but it`s very difficult to catch details on a wet stone:scared:

No, it's not. You just suck. Alright, just kidding, mate :)

Nice shots, folks, I'll come back with mine, too!

torbenbp said:
Sir Bart,could we do the same thing with razor collections or would it take up too much precious data? I`m not sure how much space you have available now...

Torbs, this gallery doesn't take attachments, so all images are linked from outside, which means zero effect on server quota. Attached images are only allowed in The Coticule Tavern and Marketplace.

Still, I encourage to use Dropbox. You really can't go wrong with this, and it's far more useful, than simple pictures sharing. And why not save some server space, if Dropbox is free. :thumbup:

regards,
Matt

It's a design decision. Whenever you host images externally, chances are you'll have a lot of broken crap after a few months (like, what happens if B&B decide to restrict access to their site even further - will the thread starter manually transfer his images to a free host?).

Dropbox is not an option in my opinion, cf. http://paranoia.dubfire.net/2011/04/how-dropbox-sacrifices-user-privacy-for.html, http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/05/dropbox-ftc/, http://razorfast.com/2011/04/25/dropbox-attempts-to-kill-open-source-project/.

But we are getting off topic here. Anyone care to move this into a new thread?

Regards,
Robin

No, it's not. You just suck
I hate to admit it Matt but it seems like you are right:cry:
No matter what I do,the tiny - golden like particles,almost like golden dust just below the surface - cant be seen on the photo. Damn now I need a macro lens too:scared: !
Torbs

Well, I am fortunate enough to go to a lot of countryside antique stores and have friends. Other than the Chosera 1k and king 800/4k all the rest are naturals.
MeHones1sm.jpg

Top Nakayama Suita and slurry L-R,~1k natural,~2-4k natural Arkansas, Hindostan~3-5k, Arkansas 2-3K, Hindostan ~6-8K,Coticule &slurry,small BBW, Large BBW& Slurry, Thuringinan,Lowerl-r Gifted,Escher,Coticule,Charnley Forest. Missing...C12k and Dragon's tongue.
Now, The trick is to put them into a logical progression of honing use. Yesterday on four egay razors, was 1K Chosera,Small/long, big Hindostan,Coticule,Thuringian. All razors will go back to the Coticule and Thuringian for better shaving qualities. A little rough yet. Me too. I'm still at the "sometimes" level of honing.
respectfully
~Richard

Did anyone get new toys over "summer vacation"? If so I'd love to see some new eye candy.

Back