ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

The Triceratops - another 3D printed SE razor

sɐǝɹpu∀

Another 3D-printed SE razor.
This time I wasn't involved in the design, but I helped name it.

The design is by Roger Quintero.
A very talented designer of shaving stuff in my opinion.

It's a razor for GEM blades and I love the way the blades are secured (see animation)
I have had one printed and have been very impressed.
It's more aggressive than a GEM 19112 or Micromatic, but not frighteningly so.
A very agile little razor giving and irritation and blood-free shave.

The files for printing one yourself can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4653854
Printing costs were under 5 Euros. Mustn't grumble.

image01.jpg

image02.jpg
image03.jpg

anim01.gif

My verdict: 5 thumbs up.
daumenh!daumenh!daumenh!daumenh!daumenh!

P.S.: My capless slant razor is ready and next.

Last edited by a moderator:
By chance could you print a Gillette Fat Boy? No kidding!
The flippant answer: Of course you could, but it wouldn't work.

Problems are
  • The precision is probably not high enough yet. For example - the thread on this razor is huge. For a reason.
  • You can't print springs.
  • Others

Then it will be possible for you to make a Gillette old type? Say for instance a double ring? I wouldn't imagine that the printer can make all the parts for something like a fat boy but it also seems to me that old type would be simple, can items be made out of brass? I'd really like to have a printed razor. Please let me know if you'd be interested and what the cost might be… Thanks very much… Happy Thanksgiving

Then it will be possible for you to make a Gillette old type? Say for instance a double ring? I wouldn't imagine that the printer can make all the parts for something like a fat boy but it also seems to me that old type would be simple, can items be made out of brass? I'd really like to have a printed razor. Please let me know if you'd be interested and what the cost might be… Thanks very much… Happy Thanksgiving
3D prints are usually made from various plastics, some may contain particles of brass or other metals, most don't.
I personally don't see the point of making 3D printed replicas of razors you can get on eBay anyway.
Making the 3D models is quite a lot of work.
And I'm not interested in double edge razors.

I was under the mistaken impression that you could print using any material. The reason for doing it… Because we can :)
Basically... you could... but you'd need a printer that can handle it.
Most 3D printers work by melting the material and extruding it through a nozzle where it then cools and sets as the printed thing.
Roughly.
PLA plastic melts at about 150°C - that's what printers are designed for.
Bronze melts at 950°C, stainless steel at 1500°C - that would incinerate your printer.
I'm sure one could design a printer that doesn't burst into flames if filled with liquid metal, but not for a few hundred €/$/£

The future is already here - just not all of it

I just thought it might be an interesting thing to do if it were possible by the way the old types are made from brass not bronze, brass has a melting point of 900 – 940 C which is probably too high, perhaps in the future. That's still one heck of a razor you made :)

I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to try to have a Gillette razor… Old type… Printed just to see how it comes out. I got in touch with one company already but at the moment they have no plans to started a new projects so I'll keep looking

Back