ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

ti chipping

chti_lolo said:
Basil said:
I have three le grelots that I got from rasurpur which are the old forgings just new scales I believe.
I also have a "vintage" Le Grelot that I plan to rescale and hone soon and hope to get as good results as you.

But the new forging Le Grelot like TI seemed to be more prone to micro chipping due to use of carbonsong alloy.

Regards

Laurent

my ti's are from raspur. How did you find the edges that they came with? I found mine sharp but to harsh for me.

So you do dilucot with one layer of tape? did you try no tape?

gary

I found mine sharp but harsh from Rasurpur too. I couldn't get satisfactory results with no tape. 2 pieces is the sweet spot for meand I get a better mellower edge from BBW with it.Emmanuel wrote his father used BBw on some razors and coticule on others. I have found this is best for me too.

Hi Gary,

I found them to be crispy just like you said.

I saw his honing video and watched how he used a coticule and then used a synthetic 10k stone to finish. It always made the razors seem to crispy and just cut my skin instead of only the hairs.

I never tried without tape, I've always just used tape. Lol I don't know why it's just how I've always done it.

yes mine were realy harsh i could never shave every day with that kind of edge. I tinkerd for ages with my ti 's . I guess the tape would work. I'll bear that in mind.

gary

I think I started using one layer of tape on all of my razors as kind of a safety net.

That way no matter how much I played around on the coticule I wouldn't wear down the spine by rookie mistake.

Now since I've touched up the razors so much with the tape on it only has that one bevel that the tape left.

Basil said:
Hi Gary,

I found them to be crispy just like you said.

I saw his honing video and watched how he used a coticule and then used a synthetic 10k stone to finish. It always made the razors seem to crispy and just cut my skin instead of only the hairs.

I never tried without tape, I've always just used tape. Lol I don't know why it's just how I've always done it.

i no ti finish all there razors on bio 1.0 0.25 paste. raspur told me this him self. the ones raspur hones from scratch are done on dmts coti with from what i saw slight slurry then 10k and he says he finishes with 0.25 bio paste from ti. i have the bio paste my self an it is fast cutting and can leave crispy edge. I found coticule edge works and thury also.Both edges are much nicer . i gues if your using tape on all your razors that fine and at least you don't get them mixed up with none taped edges. I have one razor that i use tape on . thats my livi damascus .

gary

Mates and Laurent as first asked.My Le grelot razors (2) are vintage.Both are real 1/4. I hone a new one for a friend .The ground was 3/4 and not 1/4 as the vintage. The new grelot was well honed on my vintage "La Vieille Roche" without problem.I tried the razor on my face ,found more crispy than my smoother vintage ,but not chips at all.
But according my opinion if a TI get microchips after the first shave after honing the best way is to perform ten strokes on TI paste or Crox to make convex a little the edge.
Best regards
Emmanuel

I've used ti paste with good success on ti's. i no i honed a 7/8 ti for one of how members . he said he loved the edge. he did say the got some chips eventualy.i no he still using the paste. Not sure how hes getting on nower days.

gary

To be more precise, there are :
- the vintage Le Grelot made before 1980 by Le Grelot Factory
- the new Le Grelot made by TI using an old stock of Le Grelot blanks e.g.http://www.classicshaving.com/catalog/item/846013/6503943.htm
- the Le Grelot like TI which is a new forging of carbonsong C135 e.g.http://www.rasurpur.de/english/shop/shop.html "Le Grelot like new forging"

I understand that only Gary and maybe Emmanuel have honed a new forging in the dilucot way (without any tapes)?

Regards

Laurent

I have honed all of my ti's with out tape . I'm shaving with my historic new steal at the mo and its shaving real nice. I used dilucot no tape. i have tryed unicot and that worked also .i will use tape on my crown wing next time as that still has factory edge.well raspur edge .

gary

So now I know it is possible:) and when my razor will arrive I could try a dilucot on it and if I fail;) I'll divert to a unicot.

Emmanuel what are the properties of your "La Vieille Roche" is it also slow on water?

Regards

Laurent

Laurent "La Vieille Roche" is a coticule with an advantage: to cut fast on slurry and water too, but very very fine.
Best regards
Emmanuel

Sorry for the off topic guys:

Emmanuel my friend, do you know of the "miners" stones, that were chosen and used by the Coticule miners themselves, long ago, a naturally thin Coticule layer with a BBW side?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I recently got a TI razor that was honed, for a friend, by a vendor whose edges were "the closest to being as good as my edges" of all the guys honing for money (according to my friend who has spent way too much money on razors, and honing services by the way). It required a couple layers of tape to be great, but it certainly was great. In fact, it almost made me buy one. However, I don't need another razor :)

Nah, I just did unicot because I was at the end of a several hour honing lesson with a couple of guys and used it to demonstrate unicot's effectiveness, but yes 2 layers on final stage

ok paul, i have used the two layers of tape for unicoting. bart advised me on this . It does work and puts a very sharp edge on my razor. Probably prevents the chipping problem as bart did say.

cheers gary

Back