ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

TI paste fantastic stuff

Deckard

Gotta say, I've been struggling latley getting good hht from the stone.
I have achieved good hht but it tends to be hit and miss off the coticule, ah well I shall keep practicing.
Any way tonight with my HHT 1 ti, I give it 10 laps on hanging pasted strop (ti rasoir).
Wow. Get me a killer shave, truly bbs after 3 passes and no irritattion.
I know it seems like succumbing to the dark side, but I think it's wise to remember it's all about the shave and there is no shame in finishing on the strop.
One day maybe I will be getting these shaves straight from the hone, maybe if Gary can be grascious host when I can get to Notts - he can give me a few pointers. In the mean time I am ordering another layer from Ardiness to try.
What are your experiences honing? are there many paste finishers out there?

Joey

Bart

Nothing wrong with sharpening pastes. Razor sharpening does not have to be an exercise in doing things the hard way.
As you said the idea is to have a pleasant shave.

Cheers,
Bart.

tat2Ralfy

Sssh dont tell anyone but.......

A while a go, when Gary and I were still getting the odd "fail" with the Dilucot, we would give it 10 or so on a TI pasted hanging strop, pulled real tight, and with very light laps, it gives a wonderful smooth shave as you now know :thumbup:

It was our secret weapon for a while, of course we dont use it much anymore, well I dont ;)

It is the only paste I ever used that was a nice shave, Dovo red/black and green CrOx all leave my face on fire!

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

G

Joey I dont know what layer you use .I am not opposed with the pastes but im sure that after a training time on the coticule (any coticule) having a solid 3,4 HHT before stopping you will never mentions again the pastes.The only thing you will not know is what automatically changed
having a sharp a smooth edge directly from the coticule.
Rgds
Emmanuel

garyhaywood

Deckard said:
Please, Log in or Register to view quote content!

Joe your welcome any time to pop in with your hone's. The ti paste is great stuff. I always recomemnd it. There is nothing wrong in using it. It works better than crox. I had a new ti that came and it was harsh. 10 laps on ti paste and it was super smooth.

bluemantra

Thank you:thumbup:

So to summarize the options for pastes we have:

1. [li]Chromium Oxide[/li]
    [li]Diamond Pastes[/li]
    [li]Aluminum Oxide (TI paste)[/li]

Any others?

How would they rank?

Smooth
Smoothest
Harsh

G

Well, besides CrO there is also FeO, and then there is always metal polish - whatever that contains. I suggest you just give it a try.

DJKELLY

Over here we have a brand called "Mothers" chrome polish that is very effective, while some others are not. I only discovered this on my own in my previous life of straight razors. I still have a six inch piece of leather that works great after ten years.

tat2Ralfy

Or we could simply learn to get the most out of our Coticules, making the use of pastes redundant :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)