ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Tilt (angle) of stroke for the rolling X-stroke

jkh

What is the "correct" tilt (angle) for the X-stroke when honing a smiling razor? I have created the following diagrams, which should get my point across better than a confusing paragraph of text. The thought here is the tilt of the blade at the beginning and end of the honing stroke is relative to the how much of a smile the blade has. Is this this thinking correct?

shallow2.jpg

steep2.jpg

Actually, it was that graphic that was the impetus for my question. The graphic has a rather exaggerated motion, I think, to get the point across.

Good job! Nice diagrams.
I was working on a W&B FFB last night with a really nice smile. I haven't yet managed to put a very nice edge on her because my "rolling X-stroke" needs a little work. I was doing the same thing you diagram shows, FWIW...

jkh said:
Actually, it was that graphic that was the impetus for my question. The graphic has a rather exaggerated motion, I think, to get the point across.

Not much time for a lengthy answer right now. (I guess it's your lucky day!:D :D )
But here the only important tip:

[note]Watch the slurry run up the bevel, and adjust your stroke accordingly[/note]

You are correct that the animation shows the motion in an exaggerated way. Don't go over board on the rolling motion. Unless you want to end up with "honing art":D

Kind regards,
Bart.

Bart said:
You are correct that the animation shows the motion in an exaggerated way. Don't go over board on the rolling motion. Unless you want to end up with "honing art":D

Kind regards,
Bart.
That reminds me... need to finish up that article on Razors to Avoid:D

Bart said:
jkh said:

Not much time for a lengthy answer right now. (I guess it's your lucky day!:D :D )
But here the only important tip:

[note]Watch the slurry run up the bevel, and adjust your stroke accordingly[/note]

Kind regards,
Bart.

For the record, a lengthy post would be much appreciated :) I need to take the time to read the "honing art" thread it looks like an interesting and possibly "passionate" thread.

Back