ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Time for a new strop

deighaingeal

So the old strop is getting a little ragged. With all of my learning nicks in it and the water stains added to the fact that it is a cheaper strop (filly) has me thinking that I am ready for a new strop. I have been looking at quite a few: SRD premium 1, MickR on the other forum offers a 'roo strop (no fabric), The Paladin and I can't think of the others right off.
I have been leaning towards the SRD until I saw the Walking Horse strops. I don't know much about these and found little feedback through google. Is there anyone here who could compare the SRD and the walking horse? Also does anyone have another suggestion?
I also have never owned a legit fabric strop. I have made a couple, but none premade. I don't know how the fabric components differ, could anyone assist me here?

Thanks for the help.

I just ordered a strop from differentscent. I tried it during the coticule weekend and I absolutely loved it

This is the one:
http://www.straightrazorplace.com/forums/strop-reviews/34748-different-scent-old-traditional-natur.html

Never heard of the walking horse strops. But I know "some" of the SRD strops. If anything, I would invest in the Premium IV extra long. While The Different Scent's "Old Traditional" still has the nicest leather in my opinion, the extra length (+3") and width (3") make the PIV my absolute favourite so far.

A very good strop is the "Old Dog" from Hand American. I just got one made of two pieces of leather attached together. The back piece has a Russian diamond pattern for larger blades, wedges and even full hollows. The front side is wonderful as well with just the amount of draw I like. The leather they use is from Horween company in Chicago which is known for some of the best leather on the planet. They have shell cordovan but mine is horsehide. With both pieces of leather attached together it makes it fairly stiff and easier to use without it bending in the center.
They have a special process to raise the leather grain a bit on the surface so you get a better draw. It's also longer than most at a about 32 inches.

IMG_1630.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1633.jpg

BeBerlin said:
Never heard of the walking horse strops. But I know "some" of the SRD strops. If anything, I would invest in the Premium IV extra long. While The Different Scent's "Old Traditional" still has the nicest leather in my opinion, the extra length (+3") and width (3") make the PIV my absolute favourite so far.

I have to agree with Robin regarding the SRD Premium English Bridle (DLEDLEDLEDLE :p ). It's top notch. I also have one of the Old Dog's just like Keith's pictured (sorry Phil). It's nice, but would probably choose the SRD if push came to shove... I was planning to get the Old Traditional, but I'm waiting on a friend to help me source one of those more efficiently... :sleep:

EDIT: The Old Dog was a bit slick at the beginning, and the draw is improving a lot. I don't have as much experience with it as the SRD and that very well could play a major part in why I'd choose it... For the sake of full disclosure.

Yep I bought the SRD first then got this Old Dog Chicago Special a couple of weeks ago. The SRD does have more draw. It's somewhat shorter than the Old Dog but still a very good strop.
There is a big difference is price. The single side Old Dog shell cordovan is about $250 and the SRD is half that if not less. I got mine from a friend who barely used it and needed some money so I didn't pay that much. I do like the Chicago Special better because I do like the draw but more than anything else the Russian pattern is very handy for troublesome large razors.
I talked to Keith last week and he is coming out with more of the regular line and has me curious because he has come up with some new products to be released on his website in about a week.

This is the Old Dog Shell Cordovan at Classic Shaving
CL905_str.jpg

SRD English Bridle
46c260e03bdf533096dfeff11d4f3210.image.628x550.jpg

The HandAmerican Old Dog Classic 905 is not a Shell Cordovan strop. The leather is horse butt strip (what most horsehide strops are made of, including Tony Miller's) tanned in a modified Horween "Cordovan" process. This is pretty important if you are looking for a Shell strop. If that is the case, then this is not the strop for you. However, this is probably a great strop nonetheless.

This is from Classic Shavings website on the Old Dog Classic: I should have said Cordovan process:

This gorgeous strop is hand made using full grain horse hide, bark tanned and finished in the ancient Cordovan process by the Horween Co. of Chicago, Illinois. Horween is the oldest and sole surviving horse hide tannery in the USA, and a major supplier of fine stropping leather since 1905.

The front leather is smooth and designed for daily use. The back leather has been hand embossed in a diamond (Russian) pattern for use when a razor begins to pull.

Due to the Cordovan process, water will not harm this exquisite leather. This strop will maintain its beautiful iridescent color for generations and needs only a gentle massage between the fingers to keep the hide supple. (24 inches long, 2.75 inches wide)

Made exclusively for ClassicShaving.com

I wish I could afford some of those strops, but I will be forced to keep it under 100usd. That is why I was looking at the walking horse.
I like the looks of the SRDs and many respectable people seem to love them, but I am resistant as I really like the idea of a strop made by an artisan. That is why I have purchased much of my stuff from this type of person.

Anyway, thanks for all of the information.

Not to seem to push SRD's strops, but they are hand crafted by, I think, Amish. Artisan enough for me, really. Especially since I enhanced two of them with Torolf's linen :)

Either way, I really don't think there is any noticeable difference between the high quality strops in terms of end result. The tactile feedback is what really matters to me. Which is why my personal favourites are the Old Traditional, SRD's P IV, and Dovo's Russian, in that order. The Kanayamas don't have handles, unfortunately :/

Regards,
Robin

BeBerlin said:
Either way, I really don't think there is any noticeable difference between the high quality strops in terms of end result. The tactile feedback is what really matters to me. Which is why my personal favourites are the Old Traditional, SRD's P IV, and Dovo's Russian, in that order. The Kanayamas don't have handles, unfortunately :/
Count me in the same camp. When we talk about high-end strops, it's all about tactile experience. Speaking of which: I have had the honor to strop on Gary's Kanayama. Didn't care for the linen. But both leather components were exceptionally pleasurable to handle and use. The Shell Cordovan easily over-classed my Old Traditional when it came to tactile feedback. Having tried Robin's SRD Premium English Bridle IV, I estimated it close to the Old Traditional. But as said, I don't believe for one second, that anyone would notice a difference in the shave. These are all fully functional strops.
By the way, any strop will become slicker over use, for the simple reason that the razor has some kind of burnishing effect on the strop. Torolf (TM280) had some good suggestions about that, but I only remember what he exactly said when I have an equal amount of Chimay as when we had that conversation. ;)

Kind regards,
Bart.

i just got two small cyril R salter canvas leather strops. they are infact the same as dovo but actauly cheaper. i would say they are realy nice and would do exallant job for any one . i have had both tony millers sstrops my favourite is the horse hide. i have to say now i'm use to my kanayama leather components i love it. I use this daily along with my tony miller linen.

i reckon you could get a kanayama for aprox 100usd the lower model. the only differance is the leather is slightly thinner.

garyhaywood said:
i reckon you could get a kanayama for aprox 100usd the lower model. the only differance is the leather is slightly thinner.

I own a 70K and 50K. The thickness on these two strops are exactly the same. The difference between the two strops is that the 70K has a more uniform leather grain to it.

Here is a poor picture of the strops, but I think it conveys that information (50K on the left, 70K on the right:

KanayamaStrops.jpg

Personally, based on my experiences, I would recommend a 60K or lower. For the money, I don't think the 70K and above strops are worth the coin. I will probably be selling my 70K sometime in the future.

Gorgeous strops.
I love my Kanayama leather too. I wish i could have justified an upgrade, especially to a thicker leather. Now that I know what they are really like, i might splurge on one to take me to my grave, but in the mean time, I'll have to wear the one I have out a bit first.

I think the perfect strop would be the Dovo with the V grain linen, soft velvety leather and a Kanayama finisher. I can tell quite a difference through the progression. I am getting the suede Kanayama soon and can't wait to see if it is as good as the Dovo. (Thanks, Gary)

Maybe this is a good time to ask if anyone knows what the sharpening lady is using in the Dovo factory video on YouTube when she drags the razor across it between half strokes on her Norton. It appears to be a piece of horn or plastic and I think it cleans the edge of micro burrs or something.

DJKELLY said:
Maybe this is a good time to ask if anyone knows what the sharpening lady is using in the Dovo factory video on YouTube when she drags the razor across it between half strokes on her Norton. It appears to be a piece of horn or plastic and I think it cleans the edge of micro burrs or something.

It's a piece of wet cow horn. And it serves to remove burs from bevel setting before going to the pasted strop. That's the theory.
I know a store in Antwerp that organizes straight razor shaving and honing classes (they actually have a waiting list): the method they teach is this: set bevel on Coticule with milky slurry till razor undercuts the slurry very well - remove bur with wet piece of horn - strop in Dovo red paddle strop till it shaves well. Robert Chevalier, the guy who hosts the classes, told me learned it at the Dovo factory during a business visit. It works well, though I am convinced that the step on the horn serves to do nothing, at least: not if you set a bevel with a Coticule. If I recall correctly, the lady in the Dovo video relies on a rotating disk for bevel work. It may very well create a bur that requires removal with the soaked horn.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back