ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Vault n°51

Bart, I find I really really have to pay special attention when using the hybrid side but I dont mind one bit.
I tried to sharpen a stainless steel dovo. Ive almost given up trying to hone the stainless razor, very frustrating.

No* 50 wow the slurry on the bbw side just wow the slurry thickens like right now.

I tired to use the 50 prior the 51 with the stainless didnt work the greatest but the steel with 51 alone and a stropping after I can say steel is easier to deal with period.

I'm pretty sure the 51 is going to stick with me for life, :p sorry :)

Well, n°50 is a La Verte, n°51 is a Les Latneuses. Speedwise, they are each located at another side of the Coticule spectrum.
I don't know about stainless... I've never experienced any particular problems with sharpening stainless steel razors. In fact, I mostly find they sharpen up pretty easy. Maybe, I'm using a tad more pressure that most other sharpeneers? I really can't tell.

That n°51 is probably one of the most "rich" Coticules of the entire Vault: lightning fast creamy side, fast on water as well, a beautiful surface that looks like an interstellar nebula, and than we've only discussed half of that hone, because it also has that completely different hybrid side. You were lucky that I managed to let it go... (I didn't at first) :D

Kind regards,
Bart.

My ears are burning. How'd you get my sweet #50? She may be ugly but she sure can cook! Denny

i just received a real nice ti from uk vendor. there suposter come shave ready and checked by vendor .This one shaved terrible it was tiny and not smooth at all even shave with some resistants. i checked the edge with 30k look and little handheld 60x scope, that ralfy give me,thanxs mate it brill.

i could not beleive how uneven the cutting edge was and the deep and i mean deep scratches were in the bevel half way down. i had to use the dmt1200 to remove and i even dropped back to 600 to speed things up.

i used my les lat to do dilucot and the shave was still not quite there.these ti's do take alittle doing. this is when i wished i had sent it back ,but to late now as i had rest the bevl.

i did another dilucot from start and used some mild pressure and the razor was passing hht right of the hone, i could not beleive it.

i shaved this morning and its the most smoothest edge any one could imagine. i've been finishing after my les lat with my la grosse jaune. straight of the les lat was as smooth and efortless as it gets i'd say this one of my best edges.atg was unreal i think thats also down to the ti razor its self as i no when they aare honed properly they are among the best shavers out there.
gary

Thats a great result Gary :thumbup:

But what shocking service :sneaky: and I know they dont come cheap mate, imagine if you didnt know about honing and all that, and weren't as skilled as you are, how bad would that have been.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:
Thats a great result Gary :thumbup:

But what shocking service :sneaky: and I know they dont come cheap mate, imagine if you didnt know about honing and all that, and weren't as skilled as you are, how bad would that have been.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

realy bad. what realy gets me is the company ti who makes them hone them. then the guy that sells them gaurantees that they are shave ready and he takes care of that. so you think your going to get a pre honed razor. i'm sure they give them a good whipping on paste and just send them out, realy i should of sent it back. apart from that the razor is a very good lucking razor and the shave was A1. i'd love to no how they put grooves in the bevel. at a guess i reckon they used a garden rake.
gary

Gary, it is widely known honing is to be expected on a new razor. I have seen these same situations on Bokers and Henckels. On one Boker you could see where the operator hesitated on the turntable grinder and put a step in the edge. On a Henckels there was a feather with two spikes that would have scratched the user. By the way the printed instructions with the Henckels said not to strop it just shave. Which I do not understand you can not tell where the stress will take an edge after resting. Like yours both of these razors have happy owners.

yes your quite right new razors often need tuning should we say. i have had lots of dovos and they have been pritty good . the reason i brought my ti from the uk vendor is because he suposed to check every razor he sells and send it out perfectly shave ready. if need be he hones the razor again. this way new guys get a shave ready brand new razor and not a factory edge.
cheers gary

Back