ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Vintage "Biber" paddle strop restauration work

king

Few days ago I won this "Biber" strop on Croatian on line auction site (www.aukcije.hr). Won price was 4 EUR (together with shipping cost) but strop was in really bad condition (dry leather, much nicks, lot of chromium oxide applied etc...etc). I was so angry that I did not take photos.
But after some work the strop become one of my best looking :)

Photo 1: Photo from the auction site (of course it shows the better side of the strop)

0001086158_m_0_70md94.jpg

Photo 2: Strop after some restauration work

0001086153_l_0_msuuoy.jpg

0001086154_l_0_ok2e0t.jpg

0001086155_l_0_buq3y3.jpg

Mother of!!!
That's a remarkable transformation... looks like new... Did you change the leather?

Smythe said:
Mother of!!!
That's a remarkable transformation... looks like new... Did you change the leather?

No, I did not change leather.
First I sand it down with 240 grit samdpaper (Dremel work), after that I sand it with 1000 grit sandpaper (hand work) and finally I sand it with pumice stone.
After all I put few thin coats of Fromm "Illinois" strop dressing. I left it dry between coats (for an 2 or 3 hours). It need few coats because after first two coats the leather color was uneven.

Back