ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

What a great shave!

jfdupuis

I received my two Bokers (two king cutters) last week. One is a 6/8 square point and the other one is a small 4/8-5/8 round point razor. The smaller one was sold as shave ready, but after doing a bit of probing, I quickly concluded that it wasn't so I took it back to the coticule and started from scratch. After doing a full dilution, I finally shaved with the razor last night and wow! What a great and close shave! Absolutely no resistance whatsoever!! I have a feeling the little bugger is going to be in my top rotation, well until I receive my razors from Bart that is :p

Simply great to hear that, it is wonderful when I hear someone say they have done so well :thumbup:
I hope you enjoy many many happy shaves with the Boker, mine is one of my favourite shavers, in fact I might have to use it tomorrow after reading this...lol :sleep:

Best regards
Ralfson (Dr)

I had always heard great things about them. After using a 7/8 razor for about two weeks, I found that using a small very light blade was quite refreshing. It was super sharp and easy to move around. It's not the most beautiful razor around, but it sure does the job so. I actually had my first three pass shave in a long time with it last night. (WTG, and two XTG)

I usually stop after two passes, but I was enjoying the razor so much that I decided to go for that extra smooth shave.

I still ponder what attracts us to particular gear. Our vanity is always vulnerable to fancy appearance or the latest big name touted by our peers, and yet we come across gear that isn't really special by external measure, and they WOW us. I'm not fond of the small blades, and yet another ugly duckling came through my hands that impressed me alot, and is to be kept, rather than used for practice. A 4/8 shumate 'tungsteel' did that recently, as did a beautiful little soligen import to a US company. The Shumates have some repute for using hard steel. This little razor was made with a pronounced smile in edge and spine. The shave was excellent, and changed my mind about 4/8 blades. The little Henry Sears and Sons was a shoulderless 6/8 (fav size). It wasn't NOS, but just about. Original high polish finish was fully intact, with a couple small pits. 'Took a couple tries to get a pleasing edge, and then I couldn't part with it. Both have small, light shanks, which are more work for large hands to wield comfortably, and yet they were too pleasing to let go of. 'Strange how we'll be taken by unlikely candidates.

Enjoy!

One of my favorite things is a "sleeper". I have an old '87 Mitsubishi Starion four cylinder that I have pumped up to 330HP that will kick ass on a Mustang. They can't believe it. Same thing for old scruffy blades that work great. My favorite of all pocket knives is a German brand called Hen and Rooster. They are long gone, but I bought quite a few from Russels several years ago and they have quadrupled in value. Best production knives ever. Doesn't matter as I sharpen mine and use them for their intended purpose. The edges on those knives are easily capable of taking a razor's edge. This is in "Miscellaneous", right? Tweet?

Dennis, I love the 'sleeper'. I narrowly missed acquiring a '65 Sunbeam tiger in the mid-70s. 'Smaller than a Camry, 2-seater, low to the ground, with a 260 ford V-8.

In the surprise file. I briefly had a 74 Pantera that did 68 in first. A heavily built VW bug handed me my butt up to 80mph.

I'm telling all the guys new to straights that they can have magnificent shaves without dropping a wad by enjoying the unpopular, but great shaving razors.

Back