ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Wostenholm makeover

torbenbp

Honestly...this turned out to be more silly looking than pretty :-/

Less polite persons than you gents might call it "The Dolfin" but I`m sure you wont!

Regards
And the colors on the pictures also got screwed up...

27168_1362138326471_1021973112_1087974_1735613_n.jpg

The appeal is a matter of personal preferences so nothing to talk about.
But how about the practicalities of such a shape? Is it comfortable to hold the scales while shaving? Do they balance the weight of the blade properly?

It`s really terribly unpractical...And to the rest of your questions : NO :D
But it was fun to make it...hehe
And it will be taken apart again,dont worry.

Regards

torbenbp said:
But it was fun to make it...hehe

Thats good enough for me Torbs buddy :thumbup: and theres lots of practical experience involved too

I quite like the look of it TBH, although comfort and practicality are vital when it comes to putting a razor on my face

It's eh... unconventional. But I like the effort, admire your open nature for showing it to us as it came out, and applaud the good times you had for building it.

Is that wood Merbau?

Kind regards,
Bart.

OK... OK, so the pivot end may need to thin down a bit to match the size of the tang, but it's more pretty looking than anything else, I love the way the grain shows, and the finish appears to be "top shelf", much like some you see in the SRP gallery by seasoned craftsmen.

Great work man:thumbup:

Tbh...I think it`s so ugly, that you guys just had to see it :lol:

But it did provide some practical experience that is valuable in the next "real" rescale project.

Regards

I think it looks cool, however I like the traditional scale shapes best. That version2.0 looks a lot less...cumbersome? I might be afraid I would fly out the ceiling with that first one :D

Oh crud, I just realized I had a reply window open, typed some text to it and forgot to send it. I see you've narrowed the pivot pin area,:thumbup: but you removed this predatory 'claw' from the end, too. :| Too bad, it's lost some of its sharp character.

maro said:
Why not? Makes life more interesting. :)

For me, it's 2.0 beta. :) If you decided to get rid of the 'claw' I'd round the pin area a little more, so the transition between 'long' part (between pins) and the ending would be more even. I hope I made myself clear.

edit: And, of course, it's a great job! :) :thumbup:

kind regards!
Matt

Matis...did just that.Will post a pic tommorow. Now I`m starting to like it:p
And I really much preffer traditional style scales. When some better wood comes along (where the heck do you guys get it?) I`ll make a new set,this was just a funny little holliday project.

regards

torbenbp said:
(...)(where the heck do you guys get it?)
That's a million dollar question! :thumbup: I tried to google for some olive wood in PL, but no results...

regards,
Matt

ohhhh man, that is some sweet looking wood Ray!

But how do we work this out? Perhaps it would be easier for Ray if we could agree on 2-3-4 specific sorts...

I for one would like some birds eye maple :love:

Regards gents

Oh..and here`s how it looks like now.

27168_1363425238643_1021973112_1091261_4704229_n.jpg

matis said:
maro said:
Why not? Makes life more interesting. :)
I wasn't sure how strong Torben's feelings to his new "baby" are so I didn't want to offend him. :lol:
matis said:
That's a million dollar question! :thumbup: I tried to google for some olive wood in PL, but no results...
I don't know if they have olive wood there but you can try this:
http://www.dlh-poland.com/

I wasn't sure how strong Torben's feelings to his new "baby" are so I didn't want to offend him.

I think I called them the most ugly scales ever seen, so that would by no means offend me:p

regards gents

maro said:
I wasn't sure how strong Torben's feelings to his new "baby" are so I didn't want to offend him. :lol:
I know, it was a provocation. :)

maro said:
I don't know if they have olive wood there but you can try this:
http://www.dlh-poland.com/
Thanks! I've found it already - didn't think earlier to google for "exotic wood' ;)

Hm, Torben - I will be receiving a package from Ray, so maybe we could throw in some wood as well, if it's OK with you, Ray? I would send the wood to you, Torben, when the package arrives.

regards,
Matt

I know, it was a provocation.

I`ll be sure to get angry the next time you provocke me:w00t:

Lets hear what Mr.Ray has to say about it...But otherwise it will be fine with me....

Might also have some Amboyana and perhaps Cherry Burl and and and ..no no no more!

Regards gents

Actually I was rather provoking Maro ;)

But OK, meet your anger and be sure you deal with it, it's not healthy to keep it inside. :lol:

best regards!
Matt

Back