ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

[WTB] Friodur Stainless?

Matt

Hello,

I came across this today. Take a peek and please remember to use "Full size" button at the bottom of the gallery.

First off, the paper that comes with the razor says it's stainless. Since most razors are made of non-stainless steel, which AFAIK is harder, how good can it be? None of mine is stainless, so I don't have any experience with them.

Second - the folk says its unused, but I'm not that sure. I think there is some minimal spine wear, the shank stamp seems buffed to me and there's a darker spot at the bottom of a foremost scale in the 1[sup]st[/sup] picture. Am I right, or just ultra suspicious?

my best regards,
Matt

Friodur Stahl is stainless steel. The razor doesn't look half bad, but a clear shot of both sides of the blade without any funny angles would help. To me, it looks as though the tip is narrower than the heel.

An road, €50 tops - this is not a rare razor. They are a lot prettier with these black scales:

network-equipment-image_180599315600.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what is this - some form of Polish eBay? They have some nice Henckels razors there: http://archiwumallegro.pl/search/2417113-brzytwa-henckels.html

Actually I could have just posted this link. All the pics are here, but I'm afraid none will be of any more use. Since the auction ends in 13 days I'll ask for more shots.

Anyway, what is this steel like? I assume you used some of those blades, do they show any particular characteristics? SRP Wiki says only that "Stainless steel usually takes a little more work to achieve the same sharpness as carbon steel, but will also stay sharper a little longer." Not much more there on it.

The site you found, Robin, is actually an archive of ended auctions at Polish eBay clone, Allegro.pl.

cheers,
Matt

Friodur Stahl is cryogenically treated INOX(idable) steel. Here is a video of their ice hardening process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBW_KpGy9DI.

There is some background here: http://www.zwilling.com/en-US/sortiment/Cutlery--knives/Chapter--kapitel/Materials--2614.html

Friodur Stahl has an HRC of 56. While it appears to be harder than the carbon steel you will typically find on razors, it is in fact not. It is just "doughy" if that makes sense. I had to send my first attempt at honing one to Bart, after I thought that a little more pressure would speed up the bevel setting process (hint: it did, but in unexpected ways). Since then, I have honed 4 myself, and it really was not any more difficult than honing a regular razor. It just takes a little longer.

My large Friodurs are at the top of my list of favourite razors. There is a US based eBay store that infrequently sells batches of 10 or more of the 6/8 round points for about USD 100. I think those are a great deal. 7/8 Friodurs like this one should go for something like €50-75, but typically fetch a lot more because they have been hyped, too. They are not, however, particularly rare. Personally, I find the 7 or 8/8 square or Spanish points with scalloped back among the most attractive razors ever produced, especially the ones with black scales.

The prices on Allegro.pl look quite reasonable. Bit like ebay.de two years ago. *sigh*

Regards,
Robin

square points are nice too....

http://images.needfulemporium.com/index.php/Razors/Friodur
img_1601.jpg

BeBerlin said:
Personally, I find the 7 or 8/8 square or Spanish points with scalloped back among the most attractive razors ever produced, especially the ones with black scales.

The prices on Allegro.pl look quite reasonable. Bit like ebay.de two years ago. *sigh*

Regards,
Robin

BeBerlin said:
An road, €50 tops - this is not a rare razor. They are a lot prettier with these black scales:

network-equipment-image_180599315600.jpg
Well, 12 days and it already goes for €55, so I'm not interested anymore. BTW, this 'stamp' on the scales in the photo you posted looks like there had been an inlay once and was removed - yuck. I prefer those striped white ones - I wonder if it's celluloid or something else?

Anyway, if someone from outside Poland is interested I can buy it for him - I presume it will go for a lower price than on ebay.

Matt

Not sure about the scales. Look at this, quite similar. I would love to have one of these, it's one of the prettiest razors evar!!1 http://www.gut-rasiert.de/forum/index.php/topic,4498.msg129720.html#msg129720

But as I said, €50 maximum for any of these except the really rare ones in pristine condition. While very nice razors, Henckels are everything but rare, you just need a little patience. :)

Regards,
Robin

Similar. That's the word! Just a nuance, emboss, and it makes a whole lot of a difference! Well, and the blade... Damn, that's truly a lovely razor.

It's not that I hunt for Henckels, or any particular brand, I'm just sometimes trying to get some steals, which appeal to me. Purely for aesthetic reasons, I've enough gear for next 50 generations. :)

regards,
Matt

Matt said:
Similar. That's the word! Just a nuance, emboss, and it makes a whole lot of a difference! Well, and the blade... Damn, that's truly a lovely razor.

It's not that I hunt for Henckels, or any particular brand, I'm just sometimes trying to get some steals, which appeal to me. Purely for aesthetic reasons, I've enough gear for next 50 generations. :)

regards,
Matt
I have that exact razor stuck in customs in Madrid, of all places and they want E119.00 to free it. I can't believe it. Now I have to start an Ebay request for repayment of the original price. I think there was no inlay in the original scale. Denny

Beautiful razor. People seem to love the shave, but I have not bonded with this one. It's got a beautiful edge, but it's just too - I guess the word is crispy - for my taste. I have found the same thing with a carbonsong (TI) razor that I have...

INOX_DORKO_0017.png

Me too with both razors. They both take very sharp edges but shave just like a carbon blade off my Charnley Forrest. Ralfy can attest to that edge being a little crispy. If you want to try it, Matt, let me know. Your Friend, Denny

Keep working on them... They just seem to take more effort to get right with natural stones (at least for me, anyway)...

But, they can get there.

richmondesi said:
Keep working on them... They just seem to take more effort to get right with natural stones (at least for me, anyway)...

But, they can get there.

That's interesting, in that I may have been thinking backwards about the edge. I felt if it was passing a very high hht and was crispy, it was a little too sharp. You seem to indicate it might not be sharp enough. I was thinking of finishing it on a very mellow stone, LIKE CHRIS' VINTAGE that he forced on me. Kidding about the last part. I think even Chris would love his old stone, now. What a beauty. Later, Denny

You bastard! I want it back! You keep rubbing it in! Now I'm wondering what the hell I missed!:sleep:

(edit: I'm just kidding, I'm glad you enjoy it:thumbup: I couldn't imagine it in better hands)

I actually got a nice vintage 6/8 INOX Friodur for christmas. It took me a few tries to get it where I want it, but now that I did it's a top performer. Mine is super heavy I actually it's probably about 1/2 hollow maybe. It's certainly one I'll never sell.

here is mine

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=179397&highlight=friodur

the "damage" has zero effect on the razor's performance and is not all that noticeable. The razor is actually 7/8! it's massive and I love it.

You do realise that the forum has made pictures inaccessible to non-members? Just thought I'd mention it.

I didn't know that. I'm a member and I think most people browsing this site are members too...I didn't mean to offend anyone..

jfdupuis, you're fine. The problem is not you; it is that particular negative aspect of that particular forum.

I took the liberty of displaying the picture. I hope no one minds.

HenckelsFriodur.jpg

Is the damage you are referring to at the toe of the razor?

Edit: My first attempt at displaying the picture from B&B did not work. :thumbdown:

yep right at the toe. Did not affect the edge at all. Honed up pretty well and passes the HHT with flying colours. for $55 I think it's a pretty sweet blade! It's so freaking heavy though!

Back