ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Your Robinson Crusoe Razor?

Tok

Hello,

I know that this forum isn´t much about showing other items than coticules and actually, I think this is kind of a good thing. Still, I thought about this question (And since it is about razors that (mostly) aren´t for sale, I thought, why not) : What would be the one razor for me? The one, I´d take to an island . The one I´d keep, if I had to give away all of my other razors. Well, here it is:

5867133.jpg

I like it for various reasons:

* It´s a wedge.
* It shaves great.
* I like the shape a lot. If someone should ever make
a razor for me, it should have this shape (well, except
for the tang(/tail?). It´s a little stubby for my taste.).
It has the right width, too; 2 cm, which is nearly 6/8.
* It is a Tillotson´s. I´ve seen only two others so far
and they had different blade shapes.
* The etching says "The Native American"!
* It was my first Sheffield. Unfortunately, I tried to hone
it without tape. Yes, the wear is my fault…:blush:
That´s when I started to use tape.

Ok, now it´s your turn. What is your island-razor? The one you wouldn´t sell for a fortune? And no "It would be one of this two"! If you like, you could show your Robinson Crusoe coticule, too, of course;) .

Regards,
Tok

That's an easy one. It's this Sanssouci razor, a gift from Bart when he visited us in Berlin. Sanssouci is the name of the former summer palace of Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, in Potsdam, near Berlin. So, lots of sentimental reasons never to let it got. Besides which, it is perfect for me in all respects: Right size, right shape, very nice looks, stunning craftsmanship - nice! As stated elsewhere, everything else (except maybe my Otto Deutsch "Hans") is up for grabs. I do not develop an emotional attachment to inanimate objects (no, Ralfy, not to livestock, either).

BeBerlin said:
(no, Ralfy, not to livestock, either).

Oh thats rather a disappointment hahaha

BTW I have a Hans coming for Christmas :|

For me I believe it would be my J Sellers 6/8 Wedge, its beautiful to my eyes at least, and older than the hills, so should outlast me easily, and the shaves, oh my its so so smooth.

17-07-10-1.jpg

I don't have a pic right now, but mine would be my Genco 6/8 that I honed from NOS and rescaled. It was my first rescale and the first razor I ever honed successfully and on my la Dressante no less. The scales are ugly, but I love the shave this thing gives.

I thought I knew, but now have too much work to do to pick a favorite. Before my recent acquistion, it would have been my pretty inexpensive Revisor. Now I am lost. 4Q, Ralphy, in advance. Denny

DJKELLY said:
I thought I knew, but now have too much work to do to pick a favorite. Before my recent acquistion, it would have been my pretty inexpensive Revisor. Now I am lost. 4Q, Ralphy, in advance. Denny

It's okay, we'll let you take fourty razors to the island since you can fly.

DJKELLY said:

What did I do :confused:

I never expected to see that Sanssouci in this thread. :) It warms my heart to know that of all the amazing razors in your small collection, you chose my modest token of appreciation for posting here. I thought you'd hidden that razor in you attic, only to come out to be placed in sight, next time I return to Berlin. :D

As for a personal favorite. After thinking hard for 15 minutes, I had to conclude that that I don't have one.
There's my Bartman, that I like for the sake of its name and the beautifully engraved spine. There's my little Fiedrich Herder, that outshaves all my other razors (coincidentally a gift from Robin). There's my 7/8 Zwillingswerk Friodur that fits my hand best, and my blade when brave men takes place in my barber chair. I would probably take that one to the island, but only because it's stainless steel and I don't expect an uninhabited island to be a straight razor friendly environment. ;)

Kind regards,
Bart.

tat2Ralfy said:
DJKELLY said:

I guess this was just an [small]ACCIDENT[/small], Ralfy. :D

Matt said:
tat2Ralfy said:
DJKELLY said:

Absolutely no accident! I could feel him at the keyboard with a wicked smirk on his face, communicating telepathically with Steve, Gerritt and Dan/Jared/Dominguez whoever. The sod. Yours unaccidentally, Denny

DJKELLY said:
Absolutely no accident! I could feel him at the keyboard with a wicked smirk on his face, communicating telepathically with Steve, Gerritt and Dan/Jared/Dominguez whoever. The sod. Yours unaccidentally, Denny
I was away from the computer much of the day, but I felt something, somehow very strange. I will, however, refrain from my customary (mostly good-natured) barb.

I only have ~5-6 razors, but I'd have to say that my Robinson Crusoe choice is simple: a very plain 7/8 Dorko full hollow. Not glamorous, but it is the best shaver I have, by far.

At he moment its a current production model:scared:
Its a Dovo Bergisher Löve

Its been my favorite for some thime sinse its the one i am best able to get an edge on:p

First off, fellas, why the hell do I need a clean shave on a deserted island?:lol:

No time pressure in the mornings, no interviews, presumably no women to impress...

My vote is on my hefty Joseph Rodgers and sons with barber notch problem razor with the, oh so lovable, spine warp. Carbon steel, but surprisingly always shiny. Plastic scales with no upkeep. When I have it shaving, I could do it with my eyes closed.

But I don't have it shaving. It is the mule in the paddock, testing hones, testing strops, testing strokes and keeping everything running smoothly. The edge tends to give out, so I have to hone it a lot. It takes some fancy footwork to get it in shape, so it takes time and concentration. I always think it could be attacked from another angle, so it keeps me thinking.

If I was stranded, I would want this one. I would always have something to do (and obsess over...)

regards,
Torolf

DJKELLY said:
Matt said:
tat2Ralfy said:
DJKELLY said:

I really should change that username of mine. I really wish that my mother hadn't chosen to call me by my middle name from birth.

Here is my favorite razor… it’s my favorite because it’s my first successful attempt at saving blade etching, and also my first rescale with inlay.
The scales are polycarbonate; the inlay of the 4 leaf clover was cut from brass sheet and mounted onto the scales.
In a bout of madness I sold her… fortunately she came back (a rather interesting but looong story), but I doubt I will ever part with her again.

She is a fantastic shaver but I only shave with her when I need cheering-up after a bad day… I guess a bad day would include being stranded on an island.
WHMAS_POZ.jpg

And here is a link to a close-up shot of the inlay
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv80/CedrickSmythe/WHMAS_POZ3I.jpg?t=1292813384

That picture deserves being on display in this thread.
WHMAS_POZ3I.jpg

It's beautiful work.:love:

Kind regards,
Bart.

That inlay is simply gorgeous, as is the Morley!

I pride myself on metalwork, but I do not have an artistic bone in my body... and i quite envy people that do...

Beautiful work!

VERY good remark, Bart. It's amazing indeed! :thumbup:

BTW, Cedrick, there have been several times when you were referring to this 'bout of madness' of yours - are you planning one in any foreseeable future? :lol:

Man, to cut out an inlay? Wish I had equipment and room for such stuff.

As for my Robinson Cruzoe razor? Hmm, I'm still not sure :)

regards,
Matt

Back