ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

4k/8k norton / coticule

garyhaywood

Since i have been honing constantly, with coticule i thought i'd use my combo norton 4k/8k.

I dulled razor as usaul. I honed the razor, on my 4k side untill bevel was set. then i polished on the 8k side. HHT checked out fine after stropping and before. I noticed the HHT passed in adifferant way. Kind of more grip probably due to more toothy edge . The tpt felt so sticky and so much grip, due to toothy edge i guess.

I shaved one side straight of 8k edge ,shave was great, clean cut, no pulling at all, not harsh.

I then did 50 laps on my coti nu 21 stropped HHT very good still. This time differant, soft poping of the hair, a bit like a puff of air. TPT felt differant, as in still sticky , felt a little duller. Due to a less toothy edge i guess , as i'm not that technical.

I shaved the other side of my face. I'm not joking the differance was unbalievable.The smoothness out classed the 8kn by a million miles. I don't think there would any hones out there that could finish a razor any better in my opinion. This is the first time i have tryed this and it works.

I no there is stones that may achieve the same, i never tryed them. What a finisher!

As there is no 'like button' ill go ahead and say it - great post there Gary! I haven't tried this yet but as I said earlier, I honed up my dovo 3 days ago with the norton and found it was exceptionally fast, as i'm now getting used to my coticule. When I have some free time (end of the week now as I have exams this week) I will try the same as you described here and report back with my results :)

I've also just received my Thiers Issard 5/8 extra hollow/singing 'wheat field' decorated spine with ebony scales. Its a beautiful razor that came shave ready (actually did - not like the dovo's fresh from factory) and the shave was fantastic, allthough I did have a very small amount of sting after with the alum. I shall hone this up on the norton followed by the coti, shaving after both and report how it goes. I have high hopes for this razor as the shave I got from it was incredible - just need to work on my shaving technique :thumbup:

Gary,
Great thread you started here. I think the mundane repetition on the Coti has finally payed off. The continuous lapping has finally created muscle memory that can be transferred to any stone you wish to use.

This has inspired me to try going to my Shaptons and do the same thing you have. I will let you know how it goes.

Ray

rayman said:
Gary,
Great thread you started here. I think the mundane repetition on the Coti has finally payed off. The continuous lapping has finally created muscle memory that can be transferred to any stone you wish to use.

This has inspired me to try going to my Shaptons and do the same thing you have. I will let you know how it goes.

Ray

I used with my Shaptons and finished with my Japanese Natural for a guy, and the results were quite good. I think my honing stroke has significantly improved thanks to this site and the use of my coticule so much:thumbup:

Nice thread, Gary

I was going to say the norton is the very first hone i purchased, at the time they were all the rave. I have to say they are very reliable hone. It took me 10 minutes to get shave ready and passing hht of the 8k. I never achieved this on my norton before. Since using the coticule for so long , it has made my honing so much easier, i felt more confident with the norton. Normaly with synthetics i'd be worried that i may over hone. Not this time i just honed on 4k untill i could pop a hair. I could feel feed back from 4k . same kind of resistants you get on the coticule . I moved to 8k , normaly i would of done 15 to 20 laps max . I did 35 this time as it did'nt do no harm. I used tpt every 5 laps just to make sure i was maintaining, that smooth sticky edge . Any feel of rough edge then you've gone to far.

My next step for my third shave is 10 laps very very light ones, on my balsa crox hone. I no you recomend just five ray. I figured 10 light ones should be fine the edge is poping hairs perfectly. I will let you guys no if there is much differance. I don't think there will be, this razor is very smooth.It's one of the smoothest results i've had from the stones alone. With out the coticule it would not of been possible.

towliff said:
As there is no 'like button' ill go ahead and say it - great post there Gary! I haven't tried this yet but as I said earlier, I honed up my dovo 3 days ago with the norton and found it was exceptionally fast, as i'm now getting used to my coticule. When I have some free time (end of the week now as I have exams this week) I will try the same as you described here and report back with my results :)

I've also just received my Thiers Issard 5/8 extra hollow/singing 'wheat field' decorated spine with ebony scales. Its a beautiful razor that came shave ready (actually did - not like the dovo's fresh from factory) and the shave was fantastic, allthough I did have a very small amount of sting after with the alum. I shall hone this up on the norton followed by the coti, shaving after both and report how it goes. I have high hopes for this razor as the shave I got from it was incredible - just need to work on my shaving technique :thumbup:

Any chance of a picture of your new TI. James i have had four of TI's. I never had one that did'nt come shave ready. I have found they could be agressive. The one thing that realy transformed my silver wing was 20 laps on the ti rasoir pate. Try it. or i reakon 50 lapson your coticule will tame it down . TI may of used the bio paste on the edge, they say all there razors get that treatmant.

Great post gary:thumbup:

Just set me straight as I know so very little of nortons, how many laps did you do on the norton before the 50 on your coti? if you only did 30 or so on the 8k side and lets say the same on the 4k? then from dull to smooth shaver took just over 100? thats incredible fast! I do more than that on coti/water !!

garyhaywood said:
Any chance of a picture of your new TI. James i have had four of TI's. I never had one that did'nt come shave ready. I have found they could be agressive. The one thing that realy transformed my silver wing was 20 laps on the ti rasoir pate. Try it. or i reakon 50 lapson your coticule will tame it down . TI may of used the bio paste on the edge, they say all there razors get that treatmant.

Gary, here are some pics of the beaut B) Once again, I may have bought this when kinda tipsy.......i should stop doing this! I dont regret it though :thumbup:

DSC01028.jpg

DSC01033.jpg

DSC01032.jpg

Let me know what you think :p I got this from koordenwinkel, but ive noticed that rasage poulin do the same razor with a slightly different etching on the blade which I actually prefer to the one i have (for the same price pretty much). They also have the festonne which also takes my fancy! Thank god I actually know i cant afford to get another razor for a long time now otherwise i probably would whip that up too!

James, very nice i have looked at those my self. TI's make some nice razors. I have had so many dovo's , i have to say i do like the TI's. They look quality and when honed shave great. The steel is much harder aparantly ,thats why they take a little taming paste defanatly works. I no for a fact raspiur finishes all is ti on issard paste rasoir.

tat2Ralfy said:
Great post gary:thumbup:

Just set me straight as I know so very little of nortons, how many laps did you do on the norton before the 50 on your coti? if you only did 30 or so on the 8k side and lets say the same on the 4k? then from dull to smooth shaver took just over 100? thats incredible fast! I do more than that on coti/water !!

Ralfy i slid my edge over a glass lightly say 4 times. It took 60 to 8o light laps on 4k untill i could catch and pop hair. I did 20 on 8k catching hair better poping enough to move on .I then did 5 at a time checking hht untill i could improvemant. then i stropped. so yes about one hundred to one twenty . I reckon just 30 laps on coti would be enough.Using the tpt you can tell when the coti as tamed the edge of 8k. When i first started out. I would set bevel on 1k then 60 4k just 15 8k then 50 bbw slurry and 50 coti water strop that works great to. The results were not always perfect. Mainly due to me not getting it right of say my nortons.Now i under stand when to move on it would not be aproblem. When your using several hones, and the shave is not right, i'd never not be sure which one to go back to. You will find with the norton the results are pritty consistant.

Thats mad Gary, and shows just what experience only can teach eh? 130 or so from glass to face awesome! Mmm now how the fuck do I convince Alicia that a Norton combo stone would be a good buy????? hahaha

Third shave, this morning with 10 laps of crox balsa. The shave was about the same it realy is hard to tell any differance.There was no harm done, But i have to say it's the smoothest shave i've had of the da.

It can be done with the norton much more consistant, then finishing with coticule realy puts the icing on the cake.

Even though your razor has to be absalute shave ready of the 4k/8k, otherwise you won't feel the differance the coticule makes. At the 4k level you have to be able to shave arm hair efortlessly, then move on to 8k. The 8k finish will be a great shave. When i added the coticule i was very happy with the results. I have always had my norton,tim also owns the full set of norton's and we both said we would never sell them on.

tat2Ralfy said:
Thats mad Gary, and shows just what experience only can teach eh? 130 or so from glass to face awesome! Mmm now how the fuck do I convince Alicia that a Norton combo stone would be a good buy????? hahaha

To be onest ralfy i did not count at 4k level, i would say i did less laps all in all. The norton 4k is very quik cutter and the 8k. The longest part was soaking the stone for 15 mins for 15 minutes.

tat2Ralfy said:
now how the fuck do I convince Alicia that a Norton combo stone would be a good buy????? hahaha
Quousque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra? Quam diu etiam furor iste tuus nos eludet? Quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit audacia?
Tandem aliquando, Quirites, L. Catilinam furentem audacia, scelus anhelantem, pestem patriae nefarie molientem, vobis atque huic urbi ferro flammaque minitantem ex urbe vel eiecimus vel emisimus vel ipsum egredientem verbis prosecuti sumus. Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit. Nulla iam pernicies a monstro illo atque prodigio moenibus ipsis intra moenia comparabitur. Atque hunc quidem unum huius belli domestici ducem sine controversia vicimus. Non enim iam interlatera nostra sica illa versabitur; non in campo, non in foro, non in curia, non denique intra domesticos parietes pertimescemus. Loco ille motus est cum est ex urbe depulsus. Palam iam cum hoste, nullo impediente, bellum iustum geremus. Sine dubio perdidimus hominem magnificeque vicimus cumillum ex occultis insidiis in apertum latrocinium coniecimus.

:D :D :D

Ralfy i go away for 5 weeks you can borrow my 4k 8k. If you don't mind paying the postage just let me no.

I did the same routine tonight on da. I have to admit it took me much longer, i was fafing around trying to improve the hht. I got there in the end not as good as i'liked .

I did 20 laps on 4k and i was shaving arm pritty quik, but just could'nt pop a hair so well of 4k. After stropping hht was about 3. I gave up after spending to much time on the razor , and redulled and hit my coti for dilucot routine .

This time i thought , i'm not going to over do it, i will go with my instincts.

So i did, heavy slurry untill tpt was griping edge. This took me 60 half strokes. Then i went to very milky slurry, worked on there for a short while. Then even milky , then very watery slurry and finished on 3o laps after rinse down, then 40 laps on fresh water. All in all i bet i only did 200 to 250 laps if that. The hair poped of the hone and a good 4 after strop done.

This took me 20 minutes. I have to say it's a pleasure to hone on coticule. Thats why they are still very popular.

Bart said:
tat2Ralfy said:
now how the fuck do I convince Alicia that a Norton combo stone would be a good buy????? hahaha
Quousque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra? Quam diu etiam furor iste tuus nos eludet? Quem ad finem sese effrenata iactabit audacia?
Tandem aliquando, Quirites, L. Catilinam furentem audacia, scelus anhelantem, pestem patriae nefarie molientem, vobis atque huic urbi ferro flammaque minitantem ex urbe vel eiecimus vel emisimus vel ipsum egredientem verbis prosecuti sumus. Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit. Nulla iam pernicies a monstro illo atque prodigio moenibus ipsis intra moenia comparabitur. Atque hunc quidem unum huius belli domestici ducem sine controversia vicimus. Non enim iam interlatera nostra sica illa versabitur; non in campo, non in foro, non in curia, non denique intra domesticos parietes pertimescemus. Loco ille motus est cum est ex urbe depulsus. Palam iam cum hoste, nullo impediente, bellum iustum geremus. Sine dubio perdidimus hominem magnificeque vicimus cumillum ex occultis insidiis in apertum latrocinium coniecimus.

:D :D :D

So Sorry Sir Bart, I meant to say: perhaps it would be a good idea to speak to my good lady and see if we could afford the cost of said stone? and maybe give it a little time.

Dulcis fucking jesus latin est peior quam cupiditas! vel online reddo sanus amo germen!!
'i cadernid cystal bod Cymraeg hahaha

All just in good fun, Ralfy. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catiline

Kind regards,
Bart.

It goes without saying My good friend ;)

I just didnt understand most of it for some reason!!!

Bwhahahahaha

Err did you leave the lid off the glue again?? hahahaha

You really are an academic and a scholar

OMG OMG! now I get it OMG OMG

Bart, how could you ever even for a moment and in jest think that your Dear DR Ralfson???

My Heart is saddened

Back