ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Ahhh yes..Coti ordered..

Bart said:
I was thinking of doing a Google search for a mathematical formula that calculates the "virtual" curve of a cone cross-section with diameter x and angle y. If I find it, I can make an educated decision on which wheel to prep with which chamfer.

Thank you once again Smythe. I wish Ralfson, Torben and yourself would all live around the corner so we could work on this together and have a beer afterwards. More than one actually.:D

Bart.

What do you mean by "virtual curve". And are the x and y measurements from the cone, or something to do with the grinding wheel? I should be able to help on the equation front :)

towliff said:
What do you mean by "virtual curve". And are the x and y measurements from the cone, or something to do with the grinding wheel? I should be able to help on the equation front :)

Nevermind. I solved my problem. Here's how.
Imagine a cone. Near the tip, the curve has a very short radius. The farther to the base, the wider the radius. Right?
If I create a 45 degree chamfer on a grinding wheel, the chamfer will actually cut at different radii, form the original diameter of the wheel at one boundary of the chamfer, down to the shorter radius at the other boundary. If grind the razor, moving it across the chamfer, if depends on which working direction, what the radius of the resulting concave will be. When the razor leaves at the "wide" end of the chamfer, it 'll carry the wide radius. When it leaves at the "small" end of the radius, it'll carry the small radius. On my Tormek wheel, the wide radius is known (197mm, currently). The small radius can be measured when I have made the chamfer. (probably around 192 or so).

Next Friday, I have time to try.
So you guys have time till then to stop me.:lol:

Thanks,
Bart.

Tell me..did the old Sheffield honers really do it like that?
I had imagined two watercooled wheels honing the razor on both sides simultaniously..

Regards

And Bart...I aint gonna stop you as I really have no better idea...

torbenbp said:
Tell me..did the old Sheffield honers really do it like that?
I had imagined two watercooled wheels honing the razor on both sides simultaniously...

Thats how Dovo do it, however back in the day working conditions and tools were rather different:

Razor grinders at work in a steel mill in Sheffield, England, 1866. Flues situated in front of the grinding stones serve to carry away any harmful dust and metal particles produced during the grinding process.

img]

Joseph Rodgers of course, Circa late 1800's I think, fully restored by myself, its in my top 3 shavers, never had a bad shave with it, ever! :thumbup:

Thank you once again Smythe. I wish Ralfson, Torben and yourself would all live around the corner so we could work on this together and have a beer afterwards. More than one actually.

Yeahhh...that would be a true pleasure indeed. Hope to meet some of you guys in september!

Sometime next week a couple of locally brewed beers will arive at your place Bart...We wont be able to share them but you might enjoy them at a peacefull moment.
Thanks again my friend for your effort at slimming the ol` gail.

torbenbp said:
Thank you once again Smythe. I wish Ralfson, Torben and yourself would all live around the corner so we could work on this together and have a beer afterwards. More than one actually.

Yeahhh...that would be a true pleasure indeed. Hope to meet some of you guys in september!

Sometime next week a couple of locally brewed beers will arive at your place Bart...We wont be able to share them but you might enjoy them at a peacefull moment.

PS: Smythe, Dr. Ralphson and off course you Sir Bart are most welcome to try a shave with it,when/if it turns out succesfull.

torbenbp said:

Excelllent. I like to taste unknown beers.:) Thank you, Torben. Yet completely unnecessary to send me any presents. Working on that razor is rewarding by itself.

Kind regards,
Bart.

Back