ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Any fans of cold water shaving?

Just tried a shave with cold/just warmed up to body temperature water after 2 weeks of hot water shaves.

Wet face, lather on the face with Truffit and Hill sandalwood cream, shaved 2 passes with my Revisor and a few touch ups with a very thin lather and finished with some Ogallala lime & peppercorn bay rum. Very smooth indeed.

No sting, no cuts, no redness at all - apart from the absence of hair, it doesn't feel like I've shaved at all. I think I will just stick with this cold water nonsense from now on, especially now the weather's not so freezing. I'm not particularly bothered about the mechanism behind it!

Cheers

Squeezy

Damn. Now I want to try it! Lol

Although to be honest. Johns description of his post shave face is how mine is after a hot water shave, what I have to gain I dont know? But tomorrow I will give it a go with "tepid"

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

tat2Ralfy said:

Although to be honest. Johns description of his post shave face is how mine is after a hot water shave, what I have to gain I dont know? But tomorrow I will give it a go with "tepid"

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

My experience with warm lather shaving is that a 2 or 3 days' growth shave is much better than the typical every day shave. With a tepid shave, I basically have the same experience everyday as a 2 days' growth. It's pretty nice :sleep:

I find that if I use hot water, especially in the winter, my skin tends to dry up a lot more. With cold water, I get a really close and comfortable shave. The post-shave results are also far superior.

The only time I avail myself of a cool water shave is during the 3H's of summer (Hazy,Hot&Humid), but I do certainly enjoy it then!

richmondesi said:
tat2Ralfy said:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

My experience with warm lather shaving is that a 2 or 3 days' growth shave is much better than the typical every day shave. With a tepid shave, I basically have the same experience everyday as a 2 days' growth. It's pretty nice :sleep:

Your not helping lol, ok ok jeez the pressure already! tonight is the night, I do reserve the right to hot water on my brush when I first make lather though, thats not cheating is it?

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

No cheating Dr!:p
That reminds me I have to run by the pharmacy to grab a bottle of proraso balm for tonight's shave. I go through that stuff so quickly :p

jfdupuis said:
That reminds me I have to run by the pharmacy to grab a bottle of proraso balm for tonight's shave. I go through that stuff so quickly :p

You are not filling me with faith here JF :blink: hahaha

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Hhaaha! Nah I use proraso as a general moisturizer as well. So if I shave in the evening, I'll use it afterwards, but I'll also use it in the morning after I wash my face. That's why I go through a bottle rather quickly. I can get it locally for about $15 a bottle so it's not too bad. We might not have all the "fancy" products available around here, but I can get almost the entire Proraso line at my pharmacy.

JF

tat2Ralfy said:
Your not helping lol, ok ok jeez the pressure already! tonight is the night, I do reserve the right to hot water on my brush when I first make lather though, thats not cheating is it?)

I suppose not - but I find the Mitchells lathers really nicely with tepid water too!

Good luck.

Is an excellent soap John,with a fine sense producing lather that lasts.
Best regards
Emmanuel

So, here I am, right after a cold shave, the only warm water I used was to soften a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat soap. After that it was all cool. :) A very refreshing sensation, but not unpleasant at all, and seems like my skin was less apt to absorb moisture, which in turn rewarded me with noticeably less skin wear. I even went for three passes, there are just few red places here and there, alum sting was below average, same with splash. Although, the ultimate result will be seen in 24 - 48 hours.

Anyway, definitely a thing to try for sensitive skin type folks. :thumbup:

regards,
Matt

So here I am also straight from a cold water splash, only warm water used was to soften my Boar brush, that was shaken out and cold water was used from then on, I must say it was a very refreshing experience, I felt my whiskers put up a little more resistance than usual, however my face feels fine, I shall be doing this again for sure :thumbup:

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

good to hear that you guys are getting good results from this. I use it every single day and it's been a big improvement.

Cheers,

JF

Nice reading indeed. Thanks from me too Paul
I am still a hot water shaver though lol

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Paul said:
.....I don't know about the real benefits, but finishing a hot shower with a burst of icy cold sure does something lol

I know it makes me scream like a girl, move fast enough to hurt myself, and my genitals retract into my body, if that's what you mean? Lol

True story:

One of my buddies went on a camping trip with a group in the winter. Eventually, they had to shower. One of the more intelligent (?) members of the party could be seen with a thin rope draped over his shoulder when looked at from behind. "Rafe, what's that rope for?", "it's tied to my junk so I can retrieve it when I get in this cold @$5 water" :lol:

Back