ShavingUniverse.com

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Charnley Forest Anyone?

wdwrx said:
But, boy, is it fun! I love trying to wrap my head around new ideas....:thumbup:

edit: Laurent, don't give me anymore ideas! I'm running out of strops!

though if someone wants to send me some CF powder, I'm sure I could find one to put it on.

By the way, Chris, I have a sauce pan full of purple powder just waiting for a strop. I have one--just too lazy to do another experiment.

Gentlemen,

you will not believe it but today I actually got a reply from Dovo regarding their leather/linen strops.
According to that mail the linen/hemp sides of their strops are NOT pre-treated with any paste in the factory.
I guess it's time to go and buy a new Dovo strop and dissect it ... :|

Cheers
BlueDun

BlueDun said:
Gentlemen,

you will not believe it but today I actually got a reply from Dovo regarding their leather/linen strops.
According to that mail the linen/hemp sides of their strops are NOT pre-treated with any paste in the factory.

Cheers
BlueDun

Interesting! I have the v-weave and really like it. I have tested hht after 10/20/40, etc. laps and there is a definite improvement on this strop. In addition, it certainly gets dark with use, so it is removing Steve's aforementioned crud. I don't know if the v-weave is hemp (Torolf?) but it is effective. I am loathe to try any treatment with something that works as well as it does and don't want to spend the money to get another v-weave. I don't know if they come on a cheap strop.

I really think there are myriad surfaces that are effective strops. Copier paper, newspaper (though ink is supposedly hard enough to hone) wood--just about anything. In WWII soldiers even used jeep tires. I use my jeans or the inside of my left arm while honing after rinsing/drying the blade before any hht. I just know there is a not-so-fine line between honing and stropping, probably related to the hardness of media applied. I am no expert but it appears to me through experimentation that harder media hone and softer media polish or push steel around. With the coticule edge, I am concerned with honing away its whole reason for being. Sincerely, Dennis

p.s. Ralphy, the offer of $25 still stands for the CF. Lynn swears by it.

BlueDun said:
Gentlemen,

Cheers
BlueDun

Tell the guys at Dovo they need to check with Jemico before they start making statements about their rebranded products.

dovo-canvas1.jpg

dovo-canvas2.jpg

Unless of course, undressed hemp is supposed to look like this.
Both pictures are shot from the backside of my Dovo V-weave linen. I bought it new, have never used the backside, and did NEVER add anything to the front side either. That makes me wonder where all that white gunk is coming from that fills the pores of that strop entirely?

Kind regards,
Bart.

DJKELLY said:
Ralphy, the offer of $25 still stands for the CF. Lynn swears by it.

Bwhahahaha. I think your keyboard is playing up Denny hahaha

P.S. I put up a couple of pictures for you in a new thread, not to everyone's taste but hey we are we are not everyone, or indeed your average joe's.

Regards
Ralfson (Dr)

Back